quick question about grenades

#1
at RSC we had a test on the L2A2 and it said that its effective range was 190 metres, i didn't think to ask at the time but surely this isn't right? if that was true it would wipe out everyone around it for almost 400 metres in total, and most certainly kill the thrower, whether hes on the ground or not?
 
#5
ah yeah thats what the corporal said, he said 150 metres he'd guess but it is possible they reach 190 metres, i expect if you got hit by a splinter at 190 metres it'd be less painful than a bite off a house spider though?
 
#6
The pamphlet says 15 m & 190 m, (sad git that I am I have the pamphlet)
 
#7
so, a slightly more disturbing question, what happens to a person within the 15 metre radius when a grenade goes off, is he blown to bits like in the films, or what?
 
#10
Wow when i read the title i thought whoops someone has pulled a pin and was typing one handed!
Throw from cover or expect a bit back and it wont be like below
conure said:
i expect if you got hit by a splinter at 190 metres it'd be less painful than a bite off a house spider though?
Ha ha
 
#11
Not always.
My dad lost bits of 3 fingers, his sight for 6 weeks and had some
shrapnel embedded in his face courtesy of a 37 grenade.

Armourer, knowing of your hobby I would like your thoughts,
Dad at the time was a Sgt undergoing instruction.
Pin out, grenade thrown. It detonated some 6 feet away.
He presumed a faulty fuse?
Could he have been right?- it was 1942.
Thanks
 
#12
archer said:
Not always.
My dad lost bits of 3 fingers, his sight for 6 weeks and had some
shrapnel embedded in his face courtesy of a 37 grenade.

Armourer, knowing of your hobby I would like your thoughts,
Dad at the time was a Sgt undergoing instruction.
Pin out, grenade thrown. It detonated some 6 feet away.
He presumed a faulty fuse?
Could he have been right?- it was 1942.
Thanks
Of course he's right - he's your dad and they're always right.
 
#13
Wow when i read the title i thought whoops someone has pulled a pin and was typing one handed!

I do hope you're not knocking my literary skills sir?!

And a grenade went off 6 feet away..I'd imagine he was very, very lucky to survive that?
 
#14
conure said:
ah yeah thats what the corporal said, he said 150 metres he'd guess but it is possible they reach 190 metres, i expect if you got hit by a splinter at 190 metres it'd be less painful than a bite off a house spider though?
I know an Officer who didn't duck quite quick enough in the throwing pit.
He was hit in the head by a speck, apparently no bigger than the head of a pin. It threw him back I don't think he'd say it was like a spider bite. He spent the next year having to take ant-convusive medicine, as a precaution. They didn't operate to take it out.
 
#15
15 meters on soft ground, behind a blast wall, no probs. 200 meters on a hard surface without protection, crack on.
 
#16
conure said:
Wow when i read the title i thought whoops someone has pulled a pin and was typing one handed!

I do hope you're not knocking my literary skills sir?!
Of course not old boy!
Picture someone having pulled a pin on one and then thought whoops i'll go on arrse hence "Re: quick question about grenades" Just made me giggle that's all.
 
#17
ducati916 said:
200 meters on a hard surface without protection, crack on.
That is a bloody good throw.

Should be in the olympics (grenade throwing being a good event selection).
 
#18
Of course not old boy!
Picture someone having pulled a pin on one and then thought whoops i'll go on arrse hence "Re: quick question about grenades" Just made me giggle that's all.

haha I know, was just messing! Although if I ever do lose a limb to a grenade accident, I'll log on asap to find out what action I need to take next.
 
#19
That takes me back DB.
"Fathers are always right" was one of his frequent sayings.

Tonight I shall raise a glass to his memory.


Hey, we aint related are we?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top