Quick fitness performance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panoptes, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening gents,

I'm relatively fit and decent at the fitness test of press-ups and sit-ups and runs. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for technique for being able to bang out those few extra press-ups and sit-ups and get a few extra seconds in the run.

2. the army doesnt approve of drugs so no quick fixes!! just practice, always aim to beat your prev record works for me!
  3. no pain no gain go for the pain
  4. Look at your diet, your pre-training diet and your post.
  5. www.britmilfit.co.uk

Thats the 3rd time I have plugged them. I swear I dont work for them. They are just f****** good!

6. Haha its true though. The amount i say try britmilfit it unbelievable.

I've had a sore chest and abs due to 2 lessons are Wednesday and Thursday so no break between. But do i feel the benefits hell yeah!
  7. Bad link chaps.
  8. Here's the link- http://www.britmilfit.com/

Looks to be pretty good value for money.

EDIT- I am getting slow in my old age =/
  9. Oops, sorry about that: it's .com rather than .co.uk!

While we are still on topic, the first session is free so even if you just want to gyp a free fitness session go along, you will almost certainly end up signing up for it!

10. Unfortunately i live in NI so Britmilfit doesn't operate over here.

I wasn't talking about using drugs I was mainly looking at mental tips to pace yourself so as to be able to do more press-ups etc...

11. Ah that's a shame (not about the drugs!). A lot of athletes find the mental strength through repeating mantras to themselves. When running/rowing I often say to myself "I can do anything for x minutes/seconds", works particularly well on 1.5mile runs "I can do anything for 10 minutes" and just peg it for that time knowing it will be over in 9 minutes, 8 minutes, 7 minutes etc.

When I used to fight in taekwondo our coach used to have us repeat "I am made from iron: I feel no pain" and it seemed to work, we had a bit of a reputation for being an especially vicous team. Think of the All Blacks rugby team, same theory. I think any kind of physical performance is at least 20 or 30% mental.. so work on getting yourself in the right frame of mind.

There is a famous runner (I have forgotten his name) who claims to be a poor athlete and unfit compares to his competitors. He maintains the secret to his success is that he has bigger balls than them (or words to that effect). He had a famous quote that was something like "I dont run to see who is fastest, I run to see who has the most guts." Makes alot of sense, I am not the fittest guy in the world but I am not afraid to work as hard as I possibly can. Adopt the same attitude and you can't go wrong.

12. Tell me is it better, whilst doing press ups to keep banging them out, no matter how long it takes you to do a single one, or is it better to stop and rest for 10 secs or so?

Yeah that mantra technique is supposed to be quite good. I know the womens world record pole vaulter repeats things over and over again to herself.

Hmm I'll dwell on that...

13. I would definately say that doing them in sets with a 10 second break is better. I always manage more like this as I max out far later than if I try to do them in one set. Otherwise I do about 35 then each one starts being very strenuous and my form starts to fail until I am just writhing around on the ground which isnt very impressive to your DS (or so I have been told).

14. thats because taekwondo isnt particularily vicious. go spar at you local MMA/ vale tudo place, and telling yourself you feel no pain will be pretty useless.

the easiest way i find for running is not to look at the time. if you see your time, you can tend to mentally pace yourself, and sort of adjust so you run in a time you have got before. not looking means you give more for longer.

people can give tips and whatever, but honestly, how far into your head you can go, and how much you can give is something that is unique to you.
    what motivates me probably wouldnt matter two jots to you.
    in a general sense, i know some people who can litterally go onto autopilot, while some have to get steaming mad and use aggression, and others can just suffer but keep going anyway.

just experiment.