Quick, cheap and straightforward evening meals that kids will eat?

We have had great success with the Pinch of Nom range of books, and those that come from the Eat Well For Less TV series (you do have to put up with a picture of Greg Wallace on the cover)
A bit of trial and error, some recipes are faffier than others.
The Nom books have a chapter of 'fakeaways' most of which are great.
The future Mrs Ears, mother of No3 child, writes a meal plan every month. Sounds a chore, but takes away need for head scratching every evening. And we eat very well.
Child No3 wolfed Thai salmon curry tonight.

I also agree with getting them involved. No3 asked how a chicken became food. So I showed him, albeit with a pheasant. We took it from fully feathered to dinner for his mum. He loved it.

451ACA11-C600-4DFF-981E-87B860DEFA41.png

How apt. Take it or leave it

How do US (tinned) baked beans compare to UK?

@Roadster280 once told me of an almost suitable alternative but, I forgot the name - I did try a fair selection of the local beans but, all I got was complaints from the kids. There is a shop locally owned by a British woman, she sells a fair selection of stuff that people miss. The local supermarket chain Krogers also sells a small selection of boxhead and British odds and ends too. $2.50 for a tin of heinz beanz.

@Roadster280 once told me of an almost suitable alternative but, I forgot the name - I did try a fair selection of the local beans but, all I got was complaints from the kids. There is a shop locally owned by a British woman, she sells a fair selection of stuff that people miss. The local supermarket chain Krogers also sells a small selection of boxhead and British odds and ends too. $2.50 for a tin of heinz beanz.
Bush’s Pork ‘n beans.

Bush’s Pork ‘n beans.

I'll give them a go...............I've been asked for chili with rice sometime during the coming week, perfect opportunity.

Damn! Spendy! Tho' not that short of over here at the moment.
Lidl/Aldi any good?
I find heinz too sweet, prefer crosse & blackwell meself.
Trouble with own brands, though, is they seem to use smaller beans and variable sauce.

I found that with both mine, getting them involved by giving meals interesting names was a big part of making it fun.

My ex-wife still wretches at the mention of some favourite desserts - slugs n’ slime (peach slices in lime jelly) & dog poo parcels (warmed up chocolate brownie in a tortilla wrap).

As for main meals - the sumbmariners recipe books are a great start with kid-friendly meals like elephants footprints and skinheads on a raft.

As for quick and easy meals - one favourite with both girls was ‘Alice holt chicken’ - dead easy mix of chicken thighs, mixed peppers, onions - into the pan until browned - then add in tinned pineapple chunks (with juice) half a bottle of reggae reggae sauce and a good slug of maple syrup. Simmer till the liquid reduces to texture, serve with rice and peas (or kidney beans)

Now we are close to summer, camping food in the garden is always good too. Sausages, beans and ramen bomb (instant noodles and mashed potato powder) is always an easy win.

Last edited:
Damn! Spendy! Tho' not that short of over here at the moment.
Lidl/Aldi any good?
I find heinz too sweet, prefer crosse & blackwell meself.
Trouble with own brands, though, is they seem to use smaller beans and variable sauce.

We have Aldi. I use them for boxhead stuff, mainly bratties, xmas biscuits and the like. Funnily enough, I have had people ask me to bring them something unique from America, so I have given them a Texas Aldi re-usable shopping bag all nicely wrapped up. The look I got when they opened their "presents" was priceless, a combination of: Confusion, you cheapskate b'stard, and WTF. Saying that, one of my mates told me he uses his when he goes to his local Aldi and he can see that the woman behind the till is itching to ask why/how/where/what/when he has it. Its the little things in life.

Last edited:
A quick and easy is: Tomato Tuna on Toast, or with pasta.

Tin of tuna (in water) drained, bunged in with a tin of tomato sauce (not the ketchup kind) and heated up. Drop in a glug of olive oil, some Italian herb mix, and some powdered garlic.

Serve on a slice, or two of toast, sprinkle parmesan on top.

Variations are to substitute pasta for the toast, and slice, dice, and fry an onion before adding the tomato/tuna.

I can see that working on toast with cheese on top to finish and a minute under the grill.

Bullshit the little parasites it's pizza.

As for beans, make your own. Dried beans soaked overnight and boiled till cooked through. Drain and leave a bit of the liquid (it'll be quite thick), then chuck in a tin of tomato soup and a tin of tomato relish/braai relish with a spoon of sugar. You can also fry up some onion and bacon with curry powder and lob that in. Add the relish and soup to the onion and bacon mix if you use curry powder then into the beans. Mix well, few minutes on the heat to warm through and season.

Last edited:

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I bought a couple of tins of Aldi chicken curry when lockdown commenced to supplement the supplies in the Charley Bunker in case it all went t1ts up. (Stockpiling - yep, guilty.)

One was "hot" and the other "mild" as 'er Indoors and the boy are wooses when it comes to curry. We dug them out the other day and although I was not expecting much, they were suprisingly good. Good chunks of chicken rather than the stringy bits of meat mixed with skin that I was expecting, the "hot" one that I ate actually had a kick to it unlike the bland madras I had from the local curry house the other week, and two tins with rice were more than enough for the three of us, with some left over for the boy for tea the next day.

From memory they are about £1.29 a tin, so with the rice we got four meals for well under £3. I've bought some more and will bulk them out with some veg to get two days scoff out of them.

Another cheap meal that the boy likes in Spaghetti Bullynaise which my Mum taught me to cook when I was a kid. You guessed it, it's spag bol but with cornered beef (what 'er Indoors who is from the Eastern Bloc calls it). Cheap, filling, freezable, and you can chuck just about anything that needs using up into it. Although most people turn their noses up at it when you tell them what you're cooking, I've never yet met anyone who doesn't like it.

Sausage, mash, greens and gravy. My default meal when I can't be bothered to think of an alternative.

Buy decent sausages (Lidl's own deluxe are damn good and fairly cheap), potatoes (maris piper work well but any should be fine) and some sort of veg. Personally I'd go for frozen peas, kale or savoy cabbage but broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn etc. all work.

Get sausages out of fridge and leave for half an hour to get to room temp, preheat oven to 170 Celsius. Sausages in, turn every 10 minutes. Potatoes have eyes cut out, no need to peel, chopped into thin slices and into boiling water for 15 minutes then mashed with a bit of butter or horseradish sauce. Veg cooked for appropriate time, I often do sliced mushrooms for 10 minutes and chuck kale in for the last 4 minutes or so. Gravy made from Bisto, filling meal done in half an hour.

Last edited:
My Mum made it pretty straightforward.

”You’ll eat what you’re given, and you’re not leaving the table until you have”.

I sat at that fvcking table for hours sometimes :D

My Mum made it pretty straightforward.

”You’ll eat what you’re given, and you’re not leaving the table until you have”.

I sat at that fvcking table for hours sometimes :D
Both the mothers of my children have struggled with the concept that their parental responsibility begins and ends with providing a nutritious meal. Always winds me up pandering to children.
No child will starve once they realise they don't run the show.

Latest Threads