Qui prodest? Who is the main benefactor of Lebenese war?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 23, 2006.

?
  1. Hezbollah

26.9%
  2. Iran

34.3%
  3. Syria

1.5%
  4. Israel

13.4%
  5. USA

17.9%
  6. Other countries (comment it please)

1.5%
  7. No one side is a benefactor.

4.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I propose some options. Though who knows, even Russia could be regarded as a benefactor due to high oil prices.

2. It would appear the good ol' US of A and in particular their arms industry are benefiting quite nicely from this.

BBC report

Although I beleive it would be naive to think it were just the US who are benefitting. Interesting point on Russian oil though, hadn't really considered that. So... the oil and arms industries.

However, without wanting to get too left wing and radical I beleive this campaign to be an ideal recruiting ground for Hezbollah. I would imagine that even those people in Lebanon who tolerate the tit for tat battle between Hezbollah and Israel will get a little upset when their house is levelled, their familes and friends killed etc. and would be more inclined to associate Israel with death and destruction of their way of life. At the most basic level, mankind has a survival mechanism and if the people of Lebanon do link Israel with death they are surely going to be more inclined to stave off the 'problem' be that through traditional political means, or more likely through terrorist/freedom fighting activities.

So in summary, no one *really* benefits except a few big businesses.

3. It appears that Russia surpisingly has ability to test its weapons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/world/middleeast/07hezbollah.html?hp&ex=1155009600&en=f5a5acb4fe90c083&ei=5094&partner=homepage

4. Whilst the world is focused on Lebanon, and everyone jumping on Israels back, Iran are quietly building up their Nuclear programme and laughing to themselves as the whole region de-stabilises, when at the right moment they can pounce. Iran is quite happy to fund and support continued aggression in the region

As a footnote, why are there 11 votes and 2 responses?

5. Sky News!!! :)

6. Do you mean benefactor or beneficiary? This is not just a pedantic point, the difference is 180 degrees. Benefactor is 'patron, sponsor, backer' and beneficiary is 'recipient, receiver of benefit'.

If benefactor, then probably Syria and Iran.

7. This may all change

but I think the short term the biggest benefactors of this war are going to be Hezbollah and Islamist style parties - when you have figures like Aoun praising the resistance - Hezbollah are winning.
    I think you could see some sort alliance emerging between Amal and Hezbollah and secularist and other parties after this will be loathed to criticise Hezbollah. The growth of Hezbollah politically will out weigh any loss of military power.

Iran also comes out in a better position, the French and others are fuming with rage (because shock horror, there are other interests in the Middle East other than the Americans) and I think if anything Lebanon will move away from the American sphere.

China, I think could be another winner via their battle with the Americans for Energy. Wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese start take an interest in Lebanon.

Losers:
    The Lebanese people - (screwed by all sides)
    The USA - Miscalculated spectacularly - Iran has not been weakened, Syria has not disengaged from Iran. Energy prospects are as bleak as ever. Also its allies: the so called 'moderates' (Don't know how Saudi can ever be considered to be moderate but that's another thing altogether) their anti-Shi'ite rhetoric failed, their populaces swung the other way and they were forced to modify their position.
    Saudi Arabia - Saudi influence in Lebanon has been hurt by the war.
    France - The old colonial power looks foolish.

The Israelis - I think are neither winners or losers in this because I think they at the present moment they are not interested in any sort of comprehensive peace settlement and won't win economically from the destruction of Lebanon. But they will continue to be the strongest power in the ME and will continue to have the backing of America.

8. Russia, China, Venezula and other South American Countries.

9. You are absolutely right. It is my poor English. Of course, rather Israel (along with USA) is a benefactor that makes a gift to Hezbollah and Iran that are beneficiaries. And Russia is (though without intention) a beneficiary too.

10. rpg 7 i think, but also using rpg 28

Attached Files:

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think clearly one side has been fighting a tactical war with no short or long term strategy, while the other has been fighting a strategic war with whatever tactical ability was available. Accepting that it can be argued that both groups of combatants have been acting as proxy forces for nations if not ideological outlooks, it is clear one side has benefitted in it aims while one has failed. It will be interesting to see how the losing side will make up lost ground, metaphorically. The war for hearts and minds in the region that was being lost progessively has just been surrendered.

12. An interesting article by Gideon Levy

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/746698.html

13. I'll tell who's benefitting from the Lebabese war, ME!

I'm due to go a sandy place soon and quite frankly the fact that Lebanese Hezbollah are preoccupied elsewhere is in my favour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm happy to see the carnage in S. Lebanon/N. Israel. However, there are upsides for Brit forces deployed abroad.

14. Right now the locals where you going are:

1. Watching atrocities in Lebanon and Gaza
    2. Vowing revenege on Crusaders
    3. Trying to decide which way is best AQ or Hezbollah

May not be in your favour.

15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Definately the time to be from a family that got their crusading done 700-900 years ago then, and then recall that fact pretty sharpish :twisted:

Otherwise you might like to visit this site....

http://www.worldevangelicalalliance.com/commissions/missions.htm

...sign up if your family wasn't there from 1099 onward, nothing like a good ARRSE whipping theologically and literally to change one's worldview.