questions to SoS for Defence 26 Feb

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Poppy, Feb 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure how this works but looks like SoS must be a busy bee at the moment:

Questions to the Secretary of State for Defence
    N Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what his Department's definition is of military overstretch in peacetime.
    (122578)
    Derek Conway (Old Bexley & Sidcup):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much his Department has spent on the provision of security services by private contractors in Iraq; and what proportion of his Department's spending in that country such expenditure represents.
    (123698)
    Mr Philip Dunne (Ludlow):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many operational allowance tax-free bonuses have been paid to those entitled having completed six-month tours in each month since the announcement by the Secretary of State on 10th October 2006; and what the total value was of such bonuses.
    (123678)
    Mr Philip Dunne (Ludlow):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many officers who attended the Higher Command Staff Course in each year between 1997 and 2006 remained in the armed services 12 months later; and how many are still in the armed services.
    (123750)
    Mr Philip Dunne (Ludlow):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, in which month annual bounties were paid to serving members of the Territorial Army in respect of service in each year between 1997 and 2006.
    (123751)
    Mr Philip Dunne (Ludlow):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, in which month annual bounties will be paid to serving members of the Territorial Army in respect of service in 2006-07.
    (123752)
    N Paul Flynn (Newport West):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what representations he has received on the public consultation on the White Paper The Future of the United Kingdom's Nuclear Deterrent.
    (122588)
    Justine Greening (Putney):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much was spent on (a) involuntary and (b) voluntary staff exit schemes in (i) his Department and (ii) each agency of the Department in each year since 1997-98; how much is planned to be spent for 2007-08; and if he will make a statement.
    (123922)
    Mr David Heathcoat-Amory (Wells):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what his assessment is of the effect of the Drivers' Hours and Rest Time Regulations on Territorial Army manpower and effectiveness.
    (123854)
    Mr Mark Hoban (Fareham):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, on what date Serco Denholm Limited submitted its final bid for the future provision of marine services contract.
    (123823)
    Mr Mark Hoban (Fareham):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer of 19th February 2007, Official Report, column 218W, what estimate was made in November 2003 of the date when the contract would be awarded.
    (123906)
    N Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, on what date (a) Ministers and (b) officials in his Department were first informed that a video tape existed of the United States aerial attack which killed Lance-Corporal Hull.
    (122369)
    N Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer of 23rd January, Official Report, column 1636W, on warships; what warships were based at each location in (i) 2004, (ii) 2005 and (iii) 2006; and which are based at each in 2007.
    (122370)
    N Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, for what reasons the number of warships based at Portsmouth has been reduced since 2004.
    (122371)
    Mr John MacDougall (Glenrothes):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what his Department's assessment is of the security risk presented by the revival of the Taliban in Afghanistan.
    (123639)
    Mr John MacDougall (Glenrothes):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many British servicemen and women have been injured in Afghanistan since (a) special forces were deployed in 2001 and (b) the armed forces were deployed in 2002.
    (123640)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many personnel have contracted Acinetobactor Baumannii at Selly Oak NHS Hospital having returned from (a) Afghanistan, (b) the Balkans, (c) Cyprus, (d) Falklands and Ascension Islands, (e) Iraq and (f) Northern Ireland in each year since 2001.
    (123813)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many personnel contracted MRSA at Selly Oak NHS Hospital having returned from (a) Afghanistan, (b) the Balkans, (c) Cyprus, (d) Falklands and Ascension Islands, (e) Iraq and (f) Northern Ireland in each year since 2001.
    (123814)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much his Department spent on the provision of spare parts for the Challenger 2 main battle tanks in February 2006; and how much it expects to spend in (a) February 2007 and (b) February 2008.
    (123815)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what plans he has for the future flow of spare parts to the Challenger 2 main battle tanks.
    (123816)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Challenger 2 main battle tanks he expects to be operable and in service in February 2008.
    (123817)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Challenger 2 main battle tanks are operable and in service.
    (123818)
    Patrick Mercer (Newark):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what contingency plans there are for military personnel to fight fires in the event of a fire strike.
    (123822)
    Mr John Spellar (Warley):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what action his Department is taking to protect the employment rights of the locally engaged Gibraltarian workforce at the dockyard.
    (123742)
    N Mr Phil Willis (Harrogate & Knaresborough):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what advice he has received on the public consultation on the White Paper The Future of the United Kingdom's Nuclear Deterrent.
    (122777)
    Ann Winterton (Congleton):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many members of the British armed forces have been killed in (a) Iraq and (b) Afghanistan whilst engaged in the operation or recovery of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs); what type of UAV was involved in each case; whether this type of UAV remains in service; and when he expects to introduce an alternative system.
    (123693)
    Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what assessment his Department has made of the suitability and costs involved in using the existing RAF Nimrod MR2 R1 fleet over the new Nimrod MRD4 platform for the Helix programme; and if he will make a statement.

2. I feel sorry for the poor chaps at the MOD who've got to run around and find out his answers for him. By the way, anyone given any thought to what the difference between the real answer and the answer given to the house will be - bet there's a significant delta there, given the amount of "filtering" that happens nowadays....after, we don't like giving ministers bad news do we?

3. Not really, PQ's are meant to be honest. I've done a couple myself and the overwhelming aim is to be completely truthful. That said its interesting to spot the answers where the questioner left so many holes, the powers that be could give a nice evasive answer. Top tip for PQ's - ask detailed, specific questions not subject to fudging answers.

4. Agreed with the view that questions should be succinct and phrased so as to preclude the answer being evasive.

Provided answers a few PQs in the past - short and sharp and above all TOTALLY HONEST and VERIFIABLE.

I wonder if the same rules apply today, or should I have had lessons from Messrs Warne and Panesar?

My only question to the clown Browne is:

When are you resigning in shame at being a member of this dreadul government?

5. Agreed with the view that questions should be succinct and phrased so as to preclude the answer being evasive.

Provided answers a few PQs in the past - short and sharp and above all TOTALLY HONEST and VERIFIABLE.

I wonder if the same rules apply today, or should I have had lessons from Messrs Warne and Panesar?

My only question to the clown Browne is:

When are you resigning in shame at being a member of this dreadul government?

6. "short and sharp and above all TOTALLY HONEST and VERIFIABLE".

I've KNOWN the answers to many PQs (and questions from Committees), but because my answers would be honest, verifiable but EMBARRASSING, I have not been allowed to draft the replies. While not outright lies, the answers given were known to be incomplete and misleading by those who drafted them.

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Used to have a dit on the wall where I worked regarding PQ answers

Crab Air jet jockey bangs out ,floats gently to earth and lands in a tree, not sure if he's behind enemy lines or safe.

Hours pass.

Finally, C-A-J-J spots a local passing by and shouts ' Hullo chappy! Where am I ? "

Jethro ( for it is he): " Up a tree "

In terms of the the model PQ answer Jethro's response is thus:

A) Completely truthful
    B) Unambiguous
    C) leaves no room for debate.

The form for this stuff depends on whether the list of Q's Poppy posted are Oral or Written.

Oral PQ's are answered on the day, in the House. Carefully framed they allow MPs to badger the Minister with all sorts of unexpected tangential points which have rock-all to do with the thrust of the original question. Ministers hate them, because they can be left puffing and hunting furiously through their notes for a suitably silky response.Defence Questions are time capped and usually only the first 20 or so will actually get asked.

Written PQs are just that. Short written answers appear in Hansard. If Ministers think they can get away with it , the time-honoured response to a dodgy question is

" I will write to the Hon.(sic) Member and a copy of my reply will be placed in the Library of the House."

Klaar alles ?

Don Cabra
    [ Satsuma* of the Crystal Button ]

* like a Mandarin - but with far fewer Pips?

8. Given that not all of the questions posed will be answered, it is disturbing to see that many things that exercise forum members are not subject to questions.
    Inquests - costs to families, venue, legal representation for all
    Kit in Afghanistan,
    Ad hoc costs at military funerals,
    Accommodation - in service and afterwards
    I'm sure there are others. How will my list plus yours get dealt with please?

9. are there this many EVERY day???????

Questions to the Secretary of State for Defence
    Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham & Sale West):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what facilities are available to the EU in the Operations Centre for European Security and Defence Policy; what the budgeted cost is of those facilities for the 2007-08 financial year; and what proportion of the resources and budget are provided by the UK.
    (124328)
    N Mr Tobias Ellwood (Bournemouth East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many Apache helicopters in Afghanistan have been taken out of operation due to problems with the Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor system; and what the average time to repair the malfunction has been.
    (123035)
    N Mr Tobias Ellwood (Bournemouth East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what plans are there to replace the Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensor system on the Apache helicopters.
    (123036)
    N Mr Tobias Ellwood (Bournemouth East):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many A400M aircraft are to be procured for the British military; and at what cost.
    (123037)
    N Mr Roger Gale (North Thanet):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what steps are being taken to recruit and train paramedics to serve with the front lines in (a) Iraq and (b) Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement.
    (123445)
    Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer to the hon. Member for North Devon of 8th January 2007, Official Report, column 98W, on nuclear disarmament, what progress the UK has made on Step (a) 6 and (b) 9 of the 13 Steps agreed at the 2000 Nuclear non-proliferation Treaty review conference; and if he will make a statement.
    (124111)
    Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer to the hon. Member for North Devon of 8th January 2007, Official Report, column 98W, on nuclear disarmament, what the (a) evidential and (b) treaty basis is for describing the UK's announced reduction to 160 operational nuclear warheads as disarmament.
    (124112)
    Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the timetable is for the (a) reporting and (b) publication of the Board of Inquiry Report into the destruction of the Hercules Aircraft on a landing strip in Afghanistan; and if he will make a statement.
    (124205)
    Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much his Department has received from Annington Homes, under the profit-sharing scheme, from the proceeds of sales of former Ministry of Defence (a) housing and (b) land in each (i) district and (ii) unitary authority in Hampshire in each year since the scheme began; what estimate he has made of revenues in each of the next two years; and if he will make a statement.
    (124206)
    Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, which officials in his Department are involved in reviewing the need for further research using live goats, as part of the contract renewal process.
    (124243)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Spring Supplementary Estimates 2006-07 (HC294), if he will break down the (a) current and (b) revised request for resources one, two and three provision for each subhead by (i) near cash Departmental Expenditure Limit (DEL), (ii) non-cash DEL and (iii) capital DEL.
    (124456)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the cost was of creating the 2007 Royal Air Force desktop calendar.
    (124457)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Spring Supplementary Estimates 2006-07 (HC293), if he will break down the (a) current and (b) revised request for resources one, two and three provision for each subhead by (i) near cash annual managed expenditure, (ii) non-cash annual managed expenditure, (iii) capital annual managed expenditure, (iv) near cash non-budget and (v) non-cash non-budget.
    (124458)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much was spent by his Department on the Golden Hello programme in each year since 1997.
    (124459)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, whether the Golden Hello programme has been (a) suspended and (b) partially suspended at any time.
    (124471)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer of 19th February 2007, Official Report, column 314W, on Armed Forces: security, if he will place in the Library a copy of the latest briefing.
    (124528)
    Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to the Answer of 19th February 2007, Official Report, column 312W, on NATO, what assessment he has made of progress in the continuing transformation of NATO's capabilities.
    (124529)
    Mr Michael Moore (Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the outcomes of the Oslo conference on cluster munitions were; how his Department plans to implement the agreement reached at the conference; and if he will make a statement.
    (124539)
    Mr Michael Moore (Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what he expects the effects of the outcome of the Oslo conference on cluster munitions to be on the Government's maintenance of stockpiles of (a) dumb and (b) not-dumb cluster munitions; and if he will make a statement.
    (124540)
    Mr Michael Moore (Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 23rd February 2007, Official Report, column 960W, on bombs, what he expects the effects of the outcome of the Oslo conference on cluster munitions to be on the Government's procurement of the (a) Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System and (b) the Brimstone advanced anti-armour weapon; and if he will make a statement.
    (124541)
    Mr Michael Moore (Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what discussions he has had with his (a) United States, (b) Chinese, (c) Russian and (d) Israeli counterparts on the outcome of the Oslo conference on cluster munitions; what the outcome was of those discussions; and if he will make a statement.
    (124542)
    Mark Pritchard (The Wrekin):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will increase the number of (a) fixed wing and (b) rotary heavy lift aircraft deployed to Afghanistan.
    (124134)
    Mark Pritchard (The Wrekin):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what plans he has to introduce missile-to-missile defences in the United Kingdom in 2007 to 2012.
    (124310)
    Bob Russell (Colchester):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 26th February 2007, Official Report, column 1046W, on the MOD Police, what the reason is for the level of reduction in the number of his Department's police officers at the Colchester Garrison.

10. if these issues bother you write to your MP and get him/her to bother SoS about them - that is what you elect them for!

11. Meant to be honest is correct. The reality is however, and I've put together the detail for a significant number of PQs, is that whilst the responses given to a PQ are factually correct, they invariably do not contain all the facts. Furthermore, those facts that are included are spun as appropriate to show them in the best possible light.

Not intended as a criticism, and no surprises. It's all part of the Great Game that's been played for centuries.

PS. Agreed that specific and carefully targetted PQ, not general PQ, cause the most angst within the MoD, as these are the most difficult to spin.

12. Very impressed with the number and quality of the questions but will they be put forward?

13. I'm sure I'm not alone in being bovvered. How do you know that I have not corresponded with my MP? My point was that what we term as primary problems did not seem to be represented in these questions. I accept thet this is just a small example of the traffic.