questions regarding AMC CMT and Signals roles

#1
Hi All,
I've been reading posts here for a while and doing my own research into various units with a view to joining, am hoping people with the right knowledge will respond to my queries and put me in the right direction, any help on the below queries appreciated:

AMC
1) I keep hearing different views on this but can you join as a Combat Medical Technician without previous professional civvie medical skills or not?

2)if you can what training do you have to do to get to trained strength, after passing out as a trained soldier?

Signals
1) I hear a lot of units are closing down, are there any that are not in the northwest that are still taking new recruits on?

2) if answer above is yes, again how much training after passing out as a trained soldier, is needed to get to trained strength as a technician,( IT support type role)

I'm hoping any responses will lead onto me coming down to units to have a ganders!

Thanks for your help

Cheers

S
 
#2
Signals will be taking on new soldiers in the NW.

I've not heard what the new technician role will be or when (/if) it will be introduced - yes it should be an IT Support Role. If you do join signals maybe just stick to being an operator initially and then see what floats your boat. Obviously as the roles/trade isn't defined yet, nobody should be able to comment on the training regime but for any technical role it is likely to rely on you utlising your civilian skills. (Suppose in a way it's a bit like AMS - your not going to be a nurse or a doc if you aren't already one)

I think your also correct about the AMS CMT
 
#3
Scoots said:
Hi All,
I've been reading posts here for a while and doing my own research into various units with a view to joining, am hoping people with the right knowledge will respond to my queries and put me in the right direction, any help on the below queries appreciated:

AMC
1) I keep hearing different views on this but can you join as a Combat Medical Technician without previous professional civvie medical skills or not?

2)if you can what training do you have to do to get to trained strength, after passing out as a trained soldier?

Signals
1) I hear a lot of units are closing down, are there any that are not in the northwest that are still taking new recruits on?



2) if answer above is yes, again how much training after passing out as a trained soldier, is needed to get to trained strength as a technician,( IT support type role)

I'm hoping any responses will lead onto me coming down to units to have a ganders!

Thanks for your help

Cheers

S

I'm sure someone more qualified will pop along and answer the CMT question but to start off, I'm serving in an Infantry Battalion and we have some of our own lads trained as CMTs aswell as RAMC attached CMTs, none of them in my Coy atleast are civvi Medics of any sort.
 
#7
#9
You can join as a CMT without any medical background. If you do join as a CMT then join in a teeth arms unit. You will gain far more experience as a coy medic in an infantry unit than a medical unit. Also speak to your local NHS hospital and see if they have a clinical skills centre. I've been booked onto an immidiate life support course, a pre-hospital basic surgery course and FPOS (First Person On the Scene) Intermidiate Award. Thanks to the NHS it's all free as a non-clinical NHS employee.

Focus on getting trained up as a soldier and then take it from there.
 
#11
polar said:
Signals will be taking on new soldiers in the NW.

I've not heard what the new technician role will be or when (/if) it will be introduced - yes it should be an IT Support Role. If you do join signals maybe just stick to being an operator initially and then see what floats your boat. Obviously as the roles/trade isn't defined yet, nobody should be able to comment on the training regime but for any technical role it is likely to rely on you utlising your civilian skills. (Suppose in a way it's a bit like AMS - your not going to be a nurse or a doc if you aren't already one)

I think your also correct about the AMS CMT
Hi Polar,

Hmmm so there is currently no IT technicians role in TA Sigs? I'm presuming that must all be getting done by regs in theatre then for now?
 
#13
What is your local unit?
 
#15
I mean as in the actual unit which is nearest you. What is wrong with them?
 
#16
I see what you mean now, well the signal unit I spoke to in l/pool is shutting down and the Stoke AMS unit told me no civvie health profession no TA cmt, although I've heard it's debateable.
 
#17
Scoots said:
Hmmm so there is currently no IT technicians role in TA Sigs? I'm presuming that must all be getting done by regs in theatre then for now?
Yes their is but not in the trade you'd expect (and their is a specialist TA pool in Corsham).

It is mostly done by regulars in theatre, not entirely sure why and regular guys don't either... Someone somewhere has decided main stream TA RSigs can't do it....

This seems a bit like the new Battlestar Gallactica ..... I'm sure we've been here before....

p.s. was this posted on this forum?.... I don't normally look here for posts...
 
#18
Scoots said:
I see what you mean now, well the signal unit I spoke to in l/pool is shutting down and the Stoke AMS unit told me no civvie health profession no TA cmt, although I've heard it's debateable.
Do you live in Liverpool or Stoke? Why are you fixed on joining Sigs / AMS?

msr
 
#19
Actually closer to Stoke but don't consider Liverpool too far at all.

AMS CMT because I have a lot of admiration for people able to save lives and the other applications this could be used for in everyday situations.

Sigs as I have a background and academic/professional qualifications in the subject. All a bit speculative at the moment. Why what are your thoughts, sounds like this might be leading to a piece of advice?

Cheers

S
 
#20
Just join you local unit whatever their capbadge is.
 

Latest Threads