Questions on the Browning 9mm’s of the 14 Intelligence Company

warmonger82

Old-Salt
I just finished reading “The Browning High Power Pistol” by Leroy Thompson (Osprey Publishing 30 Apr 2020). There’s a section in which he discusses the use of the BHP/L9A1 by personnel assigned to the 14 INT Coy as being some of the only serving soldiers allowed to carry their sidearms in condition one, ie “cocked and locked.” Purported modifications to the Brownings in question included extended safety levers from Bill Laughlin of Cylinder and Slide prominence as well as the possible removal of the magazine disconnect (a removal that Thompson states the NZ SAS armorers also performed and then stamped “M” on the Kiwi pistols).

Would any of you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to corroborate or refute Mr. Thompson’s writing? I’d also like to here about 14 INT Coy handgun training as the author also states that the operatives were allowed several different styles of concealment holsters and trained to make double taps to the head out to 25 yds.

As always, thank you all for sharing your experience and reminisces.
A0D9D193-3993-4878-A010-A7479E745232.jpeg
2DDC9233-0609-4F9D-B5FC-8B4B3D9E2B04.jpeg
04251574-5B46-4B05-B1CE-F3A4795A2CA9.jpeg

Mickey West

Old-Salt
I just finished reading “The Browning High Power Pistol” by Leroy Thompson (Osprey Publishing 30 Apr 2020). There’s a section in which he discusses the use of the BHP/L9A1 by personnel assigned to the 14 INT Coy as being some of the only serving soldiers allowed to carry their sidearms in condition one, ie “cocked and locked.” Purported modifications to the Brownings in question included extended safety levers from Bill Laughlin of Cylinder and Slide prominence as well as the possible removal of the magazine disconnect (a removal that Thompson states the NZ SAS armorers also performed and then stamped “M” on the Kiwi pistols).

Would any of you fine gentlemen (and ladies) be able to corroborate or refute Mr. Thompson’s writing? I’d also like to here about 14 INT Coy handgun training as the author also states that the operatives were allowed several different styles of concealment holsters and trained to make double taps to the head out to 25 yds.

As always, thank you all for sharing your experience and reminisces.View attachment 617354View attachment 617351View attachment 617350
Not sure how matey boy is going to sit in a car with a pistol down his pants.

4(T)

LE

As always, thank you all for sharing your experience and reminisces.View attachment 617354View attachment 617351View attachment 617350

I think at least some of them had an extended safety and the mag safety button removed. The latter modification took about 2 lb off the trigger pull, and also allowed the mag to drop free when released. IIRC there was also a little fettling here and there - polishing here, spring change there, etc. Not clear how official all this was, things were a little bit different in those days.

As for training, I know one chap returning for a second tour received a pallet of 9mm in his home unit in order to get his eye back in (pistol and SMG). His personal SAA allocation was greater than that of the regiment's entire annual issue for APWT... The ammo didn't go to waste; that individual would have wiped the floor at a civvie PP match.

Mickey West

Old-Salt
...With a small tear running down his manly cheek.
But he’s rocking the ‘I’m not a British Army officer in mufti’ look. His Barbour is on the back seat of the car I would guess.

As for the chick - she looks rather hot in a 1970s Mayfair sort of way. Anyone have more recent pics as she would probably qualify as a GILF by now?

I have vague memories of that thing you had to do to ease forward the working parts of an unloaded high power. You had to stick your Saturday night finger up the inside of the grip to get at the catch at the back at the top of the mag housing. If you had short, stubby fingers, you were farked.

But he’s rocking the ‘I’m not a British Army officer in mufti’ look. His Barbour is on the back seat of the car I would guess.

As for the chick - she looks rather hot in a 1970s Mayfair sort of way. Anyone have more recent pics as she would probably qualify as a GILF by now?
14 Int, so unlikely.

I have vague memories of that thing you had to do to ease forward the working parts of an unloaded high power. You had to stick your Saturday night finger up the inside of the grip to get at the catch at the back at the top of the mag housing. If you had short, stubby fingers, you were farked.
For the love of God, don't start this again.

What did the 15 int guys use?

ugly

LE
There’s a section in which he discusses the use of the BHP/L9A1 by personnel assigned to the 14 INT Coy as being some of the only serving soldiers allowed to carry their sidearms in condition one, ie “cocked and locked.”
Not true, all of the Recce plns in province went out of the gate with one up the spout!

arcticfox042

War Hero
A few modifications were done, nothing too vulgar through..........

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 20.08.37.png

chimera

LE
What did the 15 int guys use?
I would have asked John G but he hasn't been seen on ARRSE for a couple of years now. IIRC he was the site expert on 15 Coy.

Latest Threads