Questions from my youth.

HEN - Hendon
SPE - Goldberg's Green (stood for speedwell - I never found out why)
Uncle Jack's - gave you a funny for that

Oh you callow youth: -
"Premium or Regular and do you want a shot of Redex".
PS I've corrected your grammar on line 2; obviously this one came from regular experience.
Yer got me bang to rights guv, bunking off we was, Scrumping ove the nuns garden on the hill, them,s nuns got right angry wiv our lot, chased us all dahn the road they did, wos a right laff!

Is that paedophile-speak?
A gashling or more accurately gas shilling was the coin required in the pre-pay meter to keep the gas or electricity flowing. Since the meter only took shillings, when required the kids would be sent down the road to the posh houses who didn't have prep-pay meters to obtain additional coins from anyone who was able to help.

Little bits of fried batter - there are regional variations. In Exeter, they were gribbles.
Scraps in Grimsby, officially they cost a ha'penny but for free if the lady serving liked you, largely determined by whether you'd behaved while waiting in the queue. Decimalisation made them ridiculously expensive.

Scraps in Grimsby, officially they cost a ha'penny but for free if the lady serving liked you, largely determined by whether you'd behaved while waiting in the queue. Decimalisation made them ridiculously expensive.
Scraps in Middlesbrough and always (used to be) free. The owner would make more as customers came in because they would invariably ask for them. Broken bits of fish would also end up in the scraps pile so, if you were lucky (and the Wolf Cub who bought chips and scraps every Tuesday night usually was), you might end up with a free three-quarters of a fish to go with your chips.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
First it was UPP 5184, That's upper Clapton E5. Then STA 6271, that's Stamford hill, N16. and dads at work was GER 7189. Gerard, that's in SoHo W1. Uncle jacks was LEY 3332, that's in Leyton, E10. and of course Scotland yard was WHI 1212, in Whitehall SW1.
When my dad got promoted we got a party line phone GRE 5526. We lived in Greenwich obviously.

Offa

War Hero
Query: Why is "are you available Saturday" so hurtful, or have I missed something, apologies if I have.
Availability is part of team selection. Not being asked means you are not being considered for selection. Too old. Maybe it's just a rugby thing.

Offa

War Hero
Another couple of questions from my youth and not heard since:
The Beatles? Who are they?

What do you mean, you've enlisted?

Scraps in Middlesbrough and always (used to be) free. The owner would make more as customers came in because they would invariably ask for them. Broken bits of fish would also end up in the scraps pile so, if you were lucky (and the Wolf Cub who bought chips and scraps every Tuesday night usually was), you might end up with a free three-quarters of a fish to go with your chips.
Scrapings (the "a" pronounced as in rape and not rap) in my part of the north east. Again given away free, but unlikely to have any fish in them.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
When my dad got promoted we got a party line phone GRE 5526. We lived in Greenwich obviously.
When you try to phone home and the operator says "Which number are you calling please?"

GrandadsMOB

War Hero
"Keynsham, spelt K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M, Keynsham, Bristol."

Related to a Mr Horace Batchelor and 208 - Radio Luxembourg (listened to on the old valve "portable" radio just like this one while in bed)

radio.jpg

(sorry - not a question, just a bit of nostalgia :frown: )

“Shall I write a note to your parents”?
My Housemaster at Grammar School prior to giving me another caning!
I was a little shit at School and of course in those days, the school didn’t have the option of picking up the phone and ringing my Dad. We didn’t possess a phone!
If Dad was summoned, it meant another thrashing when I got home. Made me the man I am today. Happy times! :smile:

Latest Threads