Questions for current ARRSE Dolies!

I am doing some research for my new book, I know some of you are now in the unfortunate position of having to claim benefit.

My question is: if you are currently receiving benefit and are on the bones of your Arrse, but want to start a business .......even it's something like car washing, or window cleaning what are the rules?

Because ,

1 it's not with an " employer"

2 DHS types don't understand " entrepreneurial types"

What help is available to you if you do want to start your business?

It seems there is a big grey area, and the job centre won't talk to me as I need to fill in a form before I get an appointment, and I can't fill in a form because I don't need their services!

I am doing some research for my new book, I know some of you are now in the unfortunate position of having to claim benefit.

My question is: if you are currently receiving benefit and are on the bones of your Arrse, but want to start a business .......even it's something like car washing, or window cleaning what are the rules?

Because ,

1 it's not with an " employer"

2 DHS types don't understand " entrepreneurial types"

What help is available to you if you do want to start your business?

It seems there is a big grey area, and the job centre won't talk to me as I need to fill in a form before I get an appointment, and I can't fill in a form because I don't need their services!

Just common sense, really. Refrain from signing off until you've banked your first winnings and keep your first collection back as long as you can.

If you've been signed on more than 3 months, you'll get a little grant when you sign off. It's only £50 a week for I think, 3 months but it helps.

PM me if you want more info.

While not on the dole I just wanted to suggest business and innovation centres for people setting up a business.

The jobcentre put you right for all that.

I doubt people at the job centre have been self employed but I'm sure the can offer help. Someone from a BIC I'm sure would talk to him.

That's what they put you right for - business support groups and the like.

Or just go straight to a BIC

Nothing stopping you, but why do all the legwork yourself when you can simply drop into the jobcentre and pick up an information pack off the drone at the desk?

While not on the dole I just wanted to suggest business and innovation centres for people setting up a business.

That would be a good idea

I have written a book called " Guerilla Entreprenuer" giving advice to people who want to start up their own business, and currently writing another book, giving people who want to start up, but don't know what they want to start up in.

Researching and reading posts on here, there seems to be a grey area for people with no real financial backing, or no pot to Pi$$ in to get help, or commit " fraud " when they do want to escape, I am writing a book that will be free on kindle to help them out, I just want to be sure of the current rules,

Just common sense, really. Refrain from signing off until you've banked your first winnings and keep your first collection back as long as you can.

If you've been signed on more than 3 months, you'll get a little grant when you sign off. It's only £50 a week for I think, 3 months but it helps.

PM me if you want more info.

Thanks Offendi, I will take you up on your offer

Well it proves you've done some research and have some motivation.

Proves to who?

Anyway, I didn't mean just read the pack. The packs and leaflets contain contact details for the groups you mentioned. The relevant, trusted ones.

You'd just cut out a lot of unnecessary googling and phone calls.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Proves to who?

Anyway, I didn't mean just read the pack. The packs and leaflets contain contact details for the groups you mentioned. The relevant, trusted ones.

You'd just cut out a lot of unnecessary googling and phone calls.
It proves to the person wanting to set up a business of course.
Research is never wasted time.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
That would be a good idea

I have written a book called " Guerilla Entreprenuer" giving advice to people who want to start up their own business, and currently writing another book, giving people who want to start up, but don't know what they want to start up in.

Researching and reading posts on here, there seems to be a grey area for people with no real financial backing, or no pot to Pi$$ in to get help, or commit " fraud " when they do want to escape, I am writing a book that will be free on kindle to help them out, I just want to be sure of the current rules,
BIC will know what grants are available. Rotary clubs sometimes can offer help.

It proves to the person wanting to set up a business of course.
Research is never wasted time.

But the person setting up the business is you - unless you mean a potential investor?

Believe me, there's hundreds of dead ends out there. God help you if you have a business listing - you get absolutely plagued by 'small business this, small business that' phone calls. All shit.

The jobcentre list is an excellent starting point - I've used it. It's a great guide to finding the useful folk straight out and a pretty good screening tool to avoid the people who need avoiding. (the ones who ring you)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
But the person setting up the business is you - unless you mean a potential investor?

Believe me, there's hundreds of dead ends out there. God help you if you have a business listing - you get absolutely plagued by 'small business this, small business that' phone calls. All shit.

The jobcentre list is an excellent starting point - I've used it. It's a great guide to finding the useful folk straight out and a pretty good screening tool to avoid the people who need avoiding. (the ones who ring you)
No it's not me it's the person setting up the business.
I think the only time I've been in a job centre was to do a talk to the staff about helping people on methadone get work. I've no idea about job centres other than what people tell me.

The government website gives a fairly good starting point for starting your own business with links to appropriate rules.

Research will no doubt direct you to the specific legislation.