Questions about UOTC, Sandhurst and HCav

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You could go to Sandhurst wanting to be an Infantry Officer and end up in the RLC.

Depends how you perform at Sandhurst and if your DS like you or not.
Or the other way round if you really screw it up.

ETA: Express that view to the Commandant and see what happens.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
May be I should have posted elsewhere, but looking at the last 11 Dec pass out list published in the press a few days ago I noticed among the overseas list two from USA. I assume there is some sort of exchange scheme Sandhurst/West Point, however as there is a great deal of difference in length of courses do the UK Cadets sent to West Point do the full course there, or just the final semester/term to learn how to memorize the menu for next week, parrot fashion trivial questions and cut pie at meal times?

It's usual for Sandbags to have 2 from USA each term, so 6 a year. There's also a US Pl Comd here. I don't know about UK at West Point.

Do UOTC, Cambridge University is aware of it and your College will understand. Trying to do the Reserves as well is likely to be too much.

Bursary just ties you into going to RMAS, you can still not go and pay the bursary back

Sure fire way to improve your chances of joining the regiment you want - if it's right for you - is to visit them before RMAS. Preferably more than once. These visits should be your priority after AOSB Main Board.

In terms of OCdts getting what they want - it is much more individual than statistical.
So may turn up wanting infantry then after the first few exercises realise actually they don't. So it would depend at what point you took the stat - another reason it isn't overly helpful.

Cambridge UOTC is good, location is a bit far out but they run a bus service or you can drive.
There are also Capbadge weekends where all UOTCs to to Bovington to see RAC, Blandford to see the signals (one of the best black tie dinners around is on Ex LIGHTNING STRIKE) etc etc. These are great to expose yourself to more capbadges and try to see what fits you best.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

It's usual for Sandbags to have 2 from USA each term, so 6 a year. There's also a US Pl Comd here. I don't know about UK at West Point.
Sadly we don't exchange to West Point.
COVID dependent we usually send 2 or more terms there to compete in the Sandhurst Cup military competition though

Sadly we don't exchange to West Point.
COVID dependent we usually send 2 or more terms there to compete in the Sandhurst Cup military competition though

Interesting, so does US Army see an advantage to send YO's to Sandhurst, and is time at Sandhurst a career advantage to said West Point graduates? But a one way exchange!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Interesting, so does US Army see an advantage to send YO's to Sandhurst, and is time at Sandhurst a career advantage to said West Point graduates? But a one way exchange!

Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be here. Sandbags has trained over 5000 International Cadets from over 130 countries. They tend to do well, including 8 current heads of state (it was 9, but Sultan Qaboos of Oman sadly died last year). At any one time there are over 100 Internationals from about 40 countries, some of which most Brits would find surprising.

Yes, otherwise they wouldn't be here. Sandbags has trained over 5000 International Cadets from over 130 countries. They tend to do well, including 8 current heads of state (it was 9, but Sultan Qaboos of Oman sadly died last year). At any one time there are over 100 Internationals from about 40 countries, some of which most Brits would find surprising.
Assume how to do an effective military coup is taught. A certain, now sadly deceased, Libyan head of state was ex Sandhurst. I jest, this must be a great return for UK plc, contacts and friendship.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Assume how to do an effective military coup is taught. A certain, now sadly deceased, Libyan head of state was ex Sandhurst. I jest, this must be a great return for UK plc, contacts and friendship.

I don't believe he was. He merely visited. But, yes, 70 years of soft diplomatic power.

As mentioned earlier on a different thread, I was chatting yesterday to a Muslim from the Maghreb, a Christian from East Africa and a Buddhist from somewhere north of India. All in a queue in the cold outside the Med Centre. All in Week1 grow bags. All forming a team.

This morning in the same location was Jordan, Qatar and UAE.

Where else do you get that opportunity?

I don't believe he was. He merely visited. But, yes, 70 years of soft diplomatic power.

As mentioned earlier on a different thread, I was chatting yesterday to a Muslim from the Maghreb, a Christian from East Africa and a Buddhist from somewhere north of India. All in a queue in the cold outside the Med Centre. All in Week1 grow bags. All forming a team.

This morning in the same location was Jordan, Qatar and UAE.

Where else do you get that opportunity?
Buddhist on a military career ???

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Buddhist on a military career ???

Why not? He's from a very successful and loyal warrior nation.

I count myself as a peaceful Christian. More than happy to have a bash, only if necessary, but prefer a quiet day.

I did say it was one and the same God and not one of them disagreed.

Why not? He's from a very successful and loyal warrior nation.

I count myself as a peaceful Christian. More than happy to have a bash, only if necessary, but prefer a quiet day.

I did say it was one and the same God and not one of them disagreed.
Thought Buddhist's were pacifists like Quakers? may be your person is a sort of CofE type Buddhist? but may be a useful sort of cove to have on the intake, tranquility when the pressure is on. Good luck to him/her/whatever on the course and be there on the passout parade.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thought Buddhist's were pacifists like Quakers? may be your person is a sort of CofE type Buddhist? but may be a useful sort of cove to have on the intake, tranquility when the pressure is on. Good luck to him/her/whatever on the course and be there on the passout parade.

Yes. I'm a pacifist, too. He's a good soul. Military service needs all types.

Just need to get the job done with the minimum of damage to others.

The classic line, after my time, is from a Pl Comd (I think in Afghanistan) 'My soldiers are the bullets, My Pl Sgt is the trigger, and I am the safety catch'.

TOPCAT99

Clanker
After a similar question earlier this year I had a poke around. It seems that small Regiments (i.e. single or two Battalion Regiments within the Combat Arms) like to know who "their" OCs are before they get to RMAS. It doesn't mean they don't take OCs from RMAS who they don't know, but the Regiments place a significant amount of effort in recruiting people into them, not the Army. Therefore I'd strongly suggest you need to get on the HCav's radar early and establish links. You may find them not to your taste: I spent some time with them in London, and whilst it was great fun to visit, I wouldn't want to be an HCav Officer (for multiple reasons).
the word on the street is that the HCAV are somewhat Metropolitan these days- rather as the Lifeguards were in my day- the blues were full of broke landowners in the 80's

the word on the street is that the HCAV are somewhat Metropolitan these days- rather as the Lifeguards were in my day- the blues were full of broke landowners in the 80's
A friend's son has just passed the RSB with them at the start of this Senior Term (why have they changed the timing of the RSBs, perhaps @Brotherton Lad can explain could?). In no way could the family be called landowners, aristocratic or rich by central London standards these days; yes from a horsey family and reasonably well off but not much different from quite a few Arrseratii moneywise.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A friend's son has just passed the RSB with them at the start of this Senior Term (why have they changed the timing of the RSBs, perhaps @Brotherton Lad can explain could?). In no way could the family be called landowners, aristocratic or rich by central London standards these days; yes from a horsey family and reasonably well off but not much different from quite a few Arrseratii moneywise.

A bit of a Covid drama last term has disturbed the usual process, so the timetable has had to adapt and adjust. That's my understanding. Still doing the business, though.

In my day us Dinks called the Tins “Huntley &Palmers” because they were all in trade.

Latest Threads