Questions about REME Vehicle Mechanic

Discussion in 'REME' started by ABewes, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm due to start basic shortly for REME VM. I just wanted to ask a few questions of those who've been there and done it, so I know what I'm letting myself in for, both now and in the future.

Is there a lot of work for REME VM's in the Army i.e. will I be kept busy?
    Are there many opportunities for deployment abroad?
    What is promotion like within REME VM - slow, fast, hard, etc?
    Is it possible to volunteer for Artificer early in your career, or do you have to be at a certain level/rank?
    What are civi prospects like for REME VM's once they leave?
    What do REME VM's typically end up doing on the outside?

Sorry about all the questions - I'm really excited have gotten this far.

Thanks

Andy

2. 1. yes you'll be kept busy

2. yes you'll see all the hot sandy shitholes and if your lucky germany,cyprus or canada (or all of the above) REME go everywhere the army goes

3. if your good you'll get promoted quick

4. even quicker if you have your spine removal op done already lol

best advise,keep your heat down at SEME,be the grey man n you'll be away from there as soon as you can

3. AB ewes askes sheepishly,

Well as almost all engineering training, within UK , is now is done by the Forces as industry has almost given up, I would say your prospects are very good. But if you are worried try and find the time to take an OU degree in Media Studies then you have the option of MacDonalds

4. Is there a lot of work for REME VM's in the Army i.e. will I be kept busy?
    Once you reach L/Cpl and end up commanding your own wagon and crew dont expect to sleep!

Are there many opportunities for deployment abroad?
    Depends who you get posted to but you will end up in a hot sandy shithole more that once!

What is promotion like within REME VM - slow, fast, hard, etc?
    Luck of the draw im afraid.... you will wonder how some people ever got promoted before you!

Is it possible to volunteer for Artificer early in your career, or do you have to be at a certain level/rank?
    I know a couple of guys that have picked up their 8 year bonus money whilst on their artificer course

Do well on your exams (DONT CHEAT) and you will leave with good grades and good skills. Suprising how many people leave with with qualifications they cannot justify holding

What do REME VM's typically end up doing on the outside?
    Mostly truck driving! but some do well for themselves

5. Don't do it.
    Don't even turn up for basic trg.
    Stay in bed and live on the dole.

6. What you have already seen is the amount of whiners who are there. If you fancy it, go for it and rise above the rest who slate it day in day out, go for the Tiffy bit, mention it when you get to your unit. Get stuck in work hard and get things for YOURSELF !!! Nobody is saying you have to do 22 years, but if you put something in you will get something out. It's your choice mate and if you ask most people they will tell you the good times outweigh the bad. 8)

7. As all ready said above .... but the only thing I will add is for all REME ....

Remember, there is life after Bordon!

b_s

8. Yes they do........

9. What do REME VM's typically end up doing on the outside?

a lot venture into technical jobs,me being an ex "a" mech carried on hitting things with big hammers and still using big fcuk off spanners.working on a wide range of kit the army has will hold you in good stead if you want to transfer your skills into civy street.

if you do join then decide to come out i,d advise you go into plant fitting rather than hgv or car repairing,the money is terrible working on normal vehicles in civy strasse.

10. Second that re ( plant fitting ), got to travel worldwide,without a uniform.

11. I'll second that too, ex "A" mech and like Jibman i still hit things with big sledgehammers, use flogging spanners and generally get dirty.

I work on power stations as a Mechanical Fitter, your apprenticeship cuts back in as your doing welding (MIG and MMA), Burning, Metalwork, precision measuring (Mic's and Verniers etc) and a whole host of other engineering principles.

Any ex VM would handle the work and the skills learnt throughout the army will stand you in good stead. Anyone leaving who needs a guiding hand drop me a PM.

Did i forget to mention the wages are excellent as a Mechy Fitter on the stations?? Blue book rates, easy to earn 30k in 6 months if your seasonal or 50-60k full time.