Questions about how to approach regimental recruiting

Morning all,
I just have a few questions about how to approach the Irish guards. I’m currently in my first year at Newcastle University and I am pretty much set on joining the army. Ideally I would like to commission into the micks. I have two questions that I’m sure someone can
answer.

First, I am of the understanding that a certain amount of patronage still exists in the Household Division. I am somewhat lucky that my father is a barrister, a profession which has a habit of attracting a few former officers of the red and blue variety. I am however somewhat unlucky that he knows not one former mick officer, he does however know a former grenadier (retired out at either captain or major and still plays polo at the guards polo club) . Their professional relationship is pretty good going, good enough for my father to drop a phone call to see when I could get in touch with him. I do plan to get in touch no matter what however my question is this, will he be especially helpful? Or will it have to be a more I’ll get you in contact with someone who can be more helpful? Now obviously none of you will know exactly as he may be incredibly helpful or not at all. I just would like to grasp what your opinions on if he will likely be helpful or not so much and any advice on what to do/how to approach it.

Secondly, I do also plan to arrange a regimental visit either directly or through the route I’ve already discussed. When should I do this, before or after my AOSB (assuming I pass ;) )?

Thanks in advance
Jamie.

If you are in your first year why are you not in the UOTC? Tell them your regimental ambition and you should get to spend time with them.

I shall give you a priceless treasure of advice too: If, or when, you go to visit the regiment use your eyes and ears more than your mouth. They are already assessing you and putting you into a pigeonhole regarding your character, attitude, and approach.

I wish you luck.

If you are in your first year why are you not in the UOTC? Tell them your regimental ambition and you should get to spend time with them.

I shall give you a priceless treasure of advice too: If, or when, you go to visit the regiment use your eyes and ears more than your mouth. They are already assessing you and putting you into a pigeonhole regarding your character, attitude, and approach.

I wish you luck.
Currently getting myself involved, covid has been a pain.
Thanks for the advice!!! Very helpful indeed.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Morning all,
I just have a few questions about how to approach the Irish guards. I’m currently in my first year at Newcastle University and I am pretty much set on joining the army. Ideally I would like to commission into the micks. I have two questions that I’m sure someone can
answer.

First, I am of the understanding that a certain amount of patronage still exists in the Household Division. I am somewhat lucky that my father is a barrister, a profession which has a habit of attracting a few former officers of the red and blue variety. I am however somewhat unlucky that he knows not one former mick officer, he does however know a former grenadier (retired out at either captain or major and still plays polo at the guards polo club) . Their professional relationship is pretty good going, good enough for my father to drop a phone call to see when I could get in touch with him. I do plan to get in touch no matter what however my question is this, will he be especially helpful? Or will it have to be a more I’ll get you in contact with someone who can be more helpful? Now obviously none of you will know exactly as he may be incredibly helpful or not at all. I just would like to grasp what your opinions on if he will likely be helpful or not so much and any advice on what to do/how to approach it.

Secondly, I do also plan to arrange a regimental visit either directly or through the route I’ve already discussed. When should I do this, before or after my AOSB (assuming I pass ;) )?

Thanks in advance
Jamie.
Sorry James O´Neil but most of what you´ve written is totally unnecessary. I was commissioned into the Blues and Royals 39 years ago and you wouldn´t believe how unconnected I was. In fact I could barely use a knife and fork and said toilet and stuff like that. Get on a visit. Your demeanour on that visit is far more important than your dad´s chum who still plays polo at the Guards Polo Club (sorry, that made me retch a little when I read it). And don´t try too hard, though I have the feeling that you will.

Dwarf

LE
James, depending on where you live in Newcastle you also have the option of joining 5RRF in Sandyford where you could learn the basics with the AR and if you want infantry then that's what they are.
Opinion on Arrse tends to decant towards OTC rather than AR but that's up to you.

As said the visit will be the key really, research the Regiment by all means but if you don't create the right impression then you won't be in, full stop.
Good luck.
In fact I could barely use a knife and fork and said toilet and stuff like that.
Curiosity, can you now? ;)

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Morning all,
answer.

Thanks in advance
Jamie.
Wanting to be in the Irish Guards and calling them MICKS's, is a desire much higher than you should apply for. How can you enlist especially as an Officer in a Regiment you show no respect for?

Wanting to be in the Irish Guards and calling them MICKS's, is a desire much higher than you should apply for. How can you enlist especially as an Officer in a Regiment you show no respect for?
The Irish Guards refer to their soldiers as 'Mick's' the same as Scottish Regiment's refer to their soldiers as 'Jocks.'

From Wiki:

Nickname​

The Irish Guards are known affectionately throughout the British Army as "the Micks" or "Fighting Micks." An earlier nickname, "Bob's Own", after Field Marshal Lord Roberts has fallen into disuse. The term "Micks", while generally derogatory in civilian life, is embraced in the context of the Irish Guards' nickname.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
The Irish Guards refer to their soldiers as 'Mick's' the same as Scottish Regiment's refer to their soldiers as 'Jocks.'

From Wiki:

Nickname​

The Irish Guards are known affectionately throughout the British Army as "the Micks" or "Fighting Micks." An earlier nickname, "Bob's Own", after Field Marshal Lord Roberts has fallen into disuse. The term "Micks", while generally derogatory in civilian life, is embraced in the context of the Irish Guards' nickname.
May be so but I still think it is disrespectful for a potential wannabee to refer to the nickname, And according to Wiki, it's a derogative comment to a civilian?

May be so but I still think it is disrespectful for a potential wannabee to refer to the nickname, And according to Wiki, it's a derogative comment to a civilian?
I think wiki meant that it is derogative in general to refer to Irish people as Micks in today's woke world but not in the context of the Irish Guards.

I would think that a civilian wanting to join the regiment who refer's to the soldiers in it as 'Mick's' shows that he has done his research and knows it is a common nickname for the Irish Guards and has made himself aware of their history and traditions.

That is my view anyway, I don't know what any serving or ex officer or soldier from the Micks of the Irish Guards think's about it.

Dwarf

LE
I've heard the presenter of a British tv programme refer to himself thusly;

"I'm a Mick"

Perfectly reasonable.

The_Duke

LE
A reminder of the recruiting board rules. Posts must be accurate, relevant, up to date and helpful to the applicant.

Yours meets none of those criteria. Please think before you post.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I wish you luck.
Morning all,
answer.

Thanks in advance
Jamie.
Advice from ex Guards types will be valuable , listen a lot and say less.Also work out questions before you meet them.

I think other comments have shown how this is one of the most ridiculous points ever appeared on arrse
Considering the IG is referred to as the MICKs by former officers of the regiment I have spoken too I will take their opinion over some random on a forum. It is helpful to know that you are getting your knowledge from Wikipedia, I mean that does truly illustrate you vast knowledge on the subject

But I guess all this regimental gear has purely been set up to annoy the regiment.
Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 14.32.40.png

Just google mini micks and you will see the Irish guards Facebook calling the IG cadets 'mini micks'.

How can you comment on a thread, especially on arrse, that you have no idea about?