Questions about Army life

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment. I am getting bored with reminding simpletons about the rules of the recruiting boards. A week off for the next “comedian”.

anglo

LE
Thats not fair, I can't argue without sounding like a crazy person now.
I'm just pulling your leg, before you make your mind have a good think
about what you want to do, it's a big commitment joining the armed forces,
try to pick something you'd be happy doing, what ever you decide I wish you
well,

Now join the frecking Air Force :)

Email

Clanker
I'm just pulling your leg, before you make your mind have a good think
about what you want to do, it's a big commitment joining the armed forces,
try to pick something you'd be happy doing, what ever you decide I wish you
well,

Now join the frecking Air Force :)
Thanks for the kind words but I have my heart set on the army.

You'll be doing what you are told.

You are paid 24/7/365 you will work as required until the task is completed, there are no hard and fast rules, you belong to the government, and as such you do as the government, IE their representatives, the officers and NCO,s tell you. if that means working into a long night, then so be it, its all part of the job. A good leadership will endeavour to get you some time off. But be prepared for some serious long days and nights, as the job dictates. Its not civvie street, its the British army. I do understand that the days of the old cold war are now but a memory, but none the less, the army is the army, its not Tesco's, you will be buggered about, you will feel like a bloody slave on rare occasions, and conversely you will experience adventures, see sights, and do the impossible, and things that any civvie would never even think of experiencing, and the memory's will stay with you until your dying day.

Go for it, do your very best, enjoy and revel in the world of the professional soldier, rise through the ranks, and by the grace of god, walk out at the end of your time, knowing that you made a difference. The men you meet and work with become close family, for life, nothing can take that away, they will watch your back, and you theirs. The beginning is hard, and as you progress its becomes second nature, eventually automatic, no effort required, but at the beginning, I can only quote from a film....." Nobody said it was gonna be easy marine" END

Remember you’re not stuck in the infantry forever. After a few years you can try something else if you find it attractive. It’s not an easy process to change jobs but it can be done.

Edit: if you are going inf start running. Lots of running.

Gamer 69

Clanker
Bit of advice.

If you get to regiment,and when you hit 18 keep a few cans of stella in your locker. Assuming you have your own room (well, it happens, I was in Z type accommodation).

Pour half of one down the sink.

If anyone knocks on your door in the evening between half past 5 and half past 6, open the door with the half empty can in your hand.

That has saved me from getting put on guard duty twice when some mong can't be bothered to turn up to stag on the gate.

Personally, about 21 years ago :) But for you, couple times a year. More frequently if you become an instructor. Or never, if you’re not that interested in it. You can do pretty much what you want in terms of sport or AT, but you have to show the interest, it’s unlikely you’ll be ordered to go climbing, for example. But if you want to go climbing, join the climbing club in your garrison. Or a nearby one if there isn’t one. If you’re in B Coy and A Coy are having an AT week, ask if you can go with them because climbing is your thing. The Army run courses to qualify people as Mountain Leaders (or whatever they’re called this week). You get a free week on the piss climbing mountains. Get paid for it in fact. What’s not to like?
‘If you are into climbing and AT . Volunteer for every course you can get on. As an Instructor you can do what the hell you want.

I was and did, so spent a good 5 years of my career in the Army in shitty places like Baveria , skiing, climbing and klettersteig ing? Sardinia , doing the same, also fitted in Cyprus for two years and Zimbabwe for a two month canoeing holiday, trip. Norway was good as well.

Even in Bosnia I got to go from Sarajevo to the island of Bracht ? As there was an AT base set up for RR. Shame it was run by the Army PTI corps. What a bunch of *******. Still had a good time diving, canoeing and windsurfing.

Latest Threads