Questions about Army life

If you want to get involved in sport with the army, would that be during the day?
Yes, probably, but also weekends and evenings, depends on where you’re competing. You’ll get the opportunity to travel to sporting events and fixtures, possibly overseas.

Email

Clanker
Yes, probably, but also weekends and evenings, depends on where you’re competing. You’ll get the opportunity to travel to sporting events and fixtures, possibly overseas.
Can you start sports in the army that you weren't competetive in before you joined?

Email

Clanker
Do you have an interest in a particular sport, Email?
Yeah, kayaking. I go kayaking in france every year with my family and I really enjoy it. I also want to start skydiving, I have been once and I really enjoyed it, I have heard pwrr have a skydiving team called the flying tigers and I would like to join that.

Can you start sports in the army that you weren't competetive in before you joined?
Yes, of course. The world’s your lobster. All kinds of sports that you just wouldn’t get the opportunity to do in civvy street so easily. Shooting, archery, equestrianism, bobsleigh, cross-country skiing to name a few. Along with your regular football, rugby, cricket, squash, tennis, badminton, martial arts, boxing, golf, athletics etc. Sport is strongly encouraged. It builds teamwork, competitive spirit and for the most part, fitness. Ten pin bowling not so much on the fitness, nor archery for teamwork, but in general, the Army encourages sport for good reason. Beyond sport is “adventure training”, like climbing, hill walking, sailing etc.

There’s also baiting idiot NCOs and officers for sport too, but that can backfire :)

Email

Clanker
Yes, of course. The world’s your lobster. All kinds of sports that you just wouldn’t get the opportunity to do in civvy street so easily. Shooting, archery, equestrianism, bobsleigh, cross-country skiing to name a few. Along with your regular football, rugby, cricket, squash, tennis, badminton, martial arts, boxing, golf, athletics etc. Sport is strongly encouraged. It builds teamwork, competitive spirit and for the most part, fitness. Ten pin bowling not so much on the fitness, nor archery for teamwork, but in general, the Army encourages sport for good reason. Beyond sport is “adventure training”, like climbing, hill walking, sailing etc.

There’s also baiting idiot NCOs and officers for sport too, but that can backfire :)
How often do you get to go on adventure training?

So what is a normal working day like for an infantry soldier?
Mostly windsurfing. Bloody boring actually. My fingers got all wrinkly.

Seriously, it varies. There will be a basic structure based on reveille (what time you get woken up) mealtimes and parades. Around that structure will be fitted various activities pertinent to your role but always including sport, fitness and key skills training such as weapons handling and marksmanship, first aid, signals, fieldcraft, map reading, etc, etc. It will take place on the ranges, in your training wing or around camp (your barracks area) or on a local training area. You will be expected to get on with some of this- especially personal fitness- on your own.
Chucked into the mix you’ll also perform routine duties- guarding the camp mostly but you an get spammed for stuff like waitering at Officers Mess do’s. Although you can get out of this stuff by getting on in your Company or Battalion sports teams (especially boxing).
You should also have the opportunity to attend various courses- some ”in-house” such as basic signals stuff run by the Signals Platoon and some run externally by other units. Put your name down for everything- there are things like freefall parachuting which loads of guys want to do and you might not get picked to do, but some of the less popular options can be surprisingly enjoyable and they give you a chance to get away for a few days. If you have a particular expertise, especially if you’ve got qualifications to instruct in it- kayaking say- you might be able to have some input in organising your own adventure training trip somewhere nice.

Things are obviously a bit quiet at the moment, and you’ll hear about guys who’ve recently returned from operational service finding it difficult to get back into “barracks routine” but everything’s relative and “barracks routine” is still going to be a hell of a lot more interesting than many civvy jobs.

Last edited:
How often do you get to go on adventure training?
Personally, about 21 years ago :) But for you, couple times a year. More frequently if you become an instructor. Or never, if you’re not that interested in it. You can do pretty much what you want in terms of sport or AT, but you have to show the interest, it’s unlikely you’ll be ordered to go climbing, for example. But if you want to go climbing, join the climbing club in your garrison. Or a nearby one if there isn’t one. If you’re in B Coy and A Coy are having an AT week, ask if you can go with them because climbing is your thing. The Army run courses to qualify people as Mountain Leaders (or whatever they’re called this week). You get a free week on the piss climbing mountains. Get paid for it in fact. What’s not to like?

Email

Clanker
Cheers.
Personally, about 21 years ago :) But for you, couple times a year. More frequently if you become an instructor. Or never, if you’re not that interested in it. You can do pretty much what you want in terms of sport or AT, but you have to show the interest, it’s unlikely you’ll be ordered to go climbing, for example. But if you want to go climbing, join the climbing club in your garrison. Or a nearby one if there isn’t one. If you’re in B Coy and A Coy are having an AT week, ask if you can go with them because climbing is your thing. The Army run courses to qualify people as Mountain Leaders (or whatever they’re called this week). You get a free week on the piss climbing mountains. Get paid for it in fact. What’s not to like?
Sounds great, thanks.

Just because they don't do p-coy (Assuming you're a para from your profile pic)? From what I have read, PWRR is an extremely proud regiment!
All regiments have pride in themselves. Noone will say “Our regiment/Corps is dogshit, don’t join”. Well maybe a couple :)

But then this gives rise to looking down on other regiments. People in the Parachute Regiment, as you mention, will look down on those that don’t do P Coy. Others may look down on the Parachute Regiment because they aren’t known for being the sharpest tools in the shed. It’s all inter-unit banter/bullshit, and at the end of the day, the entire Army looks down on the RAF Regt :)

Yeah, kayaking. I go kayaking in france every year with my family and I really enjoy it. I also want to start skydiving, I have been once and I really enjoyed it, I have heard pwrr have a skydiving team called the flying tigers and I would like to join that.
We once proposed a kayaking experience through the canals of Old Amsterdam for adventure training, to the idiot one pip training officer. The RSM saw through our cunning plan instantly.

RM would be better for you, they have a kayaking team, they compete under the name SBS.

morsk

LE
When you have finished basic, ask your CoC if you can bid for Kayaking on the ATG website. You can bid yourself. Your training wing will show you where, but you MUST have completed a swim test and they will put that on JPA which will need screen shorting and uploading, along with someone (in our Regt the Training Officer) copied in as a CoC contact. Also speak to the Regy Kayaking Officer - there will no doubt be one, about activities you can get involved in. Keep going back to do the next course. The army is fairly short of AT instructors (well, the RLC is) and you will get the opportunity to work with other Regts will will not hurt come SJAR time

Latest Threads