Questionable Online Sale

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by R.D.D., Feb 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not quite sure what to do, so I thought I'd pose the question to the wise members of ARRSE.

Basically, I'm selling a phone on Amazon, and I got a buyer this morning. Problem is, while the address of the buyer is of a British name at a London address, the delivery address is to a random bloke in Lagos. Given I also got a rather suspicious email of the typical Nigerian scam type

I'm not quite sure what to do. I emailed Amazon with my doubts, but haven't got anything back.
    Is this worth pursuing, or if some woman's identity has been cloned, will her bank just pay it all back, and Amazon won't be arsed with the hassle?

2. Scam - avoid.

3. Ta. Figured as much. They're not going to cost me any cash, but I don't fancy sending something to Nigeria. Hopefully Amazon should get back to me tomorrow. Thanks for a second opinion!

4. If a payment does come through, I'd contact the bank, or possibly try to do the Gentleman's honour of contacting the address in London and asking about the purchase. I fthey know nothing about it, then you might want to hint that their card has been cloned.

• Like Like x 2
  5. As said previously, it's a scam. Tell them to **** off, or better still post a pair of used underpants to the tosser.

• Like Like x 1

6. Good call

7. I tried that- I ran the address through Directory Enquiries, nothing, and I'm in Germany, so not likely to pop round, although I would if I were in London this week. Clearly the hotmail address has been hacked. Thing is, I either need to send the thing to Nigeria (bet it will cost more than I'll get) tomorrow or not at all and then get in trouble. Tried fbook too. Thing is, the things they're doing to prevent fraud in the first place are making it tricky for me to contact the 'buyer' directly.

8. if the postage is higher than what they are willing to pay, then I wouldn't send it. Am i right in guessing that you have to send the item before you get payment? Kind of a backwards Eaby?

9. (I could also save myself a lot of bother... anyone want to buy a box-fresh black samsung galaxy sII with European and UK chargers? £200 ONO! Will post to Deutschland!)

10. Yip. And as it's a certain value, I need to send it registered, so they could ask for proof of sending. The money sits with Amazon for 2 weeks, in case it becomes obvious the seller has mugged them off.

11. I'd be well up for that- some **** in Germany just let me down on one.

• Like Like x 3
  12. .... and since proof of postage will have his "dads" name on it and item described as "GIFT" and not as an expensive phone you will get feck all from amazon.
    He will most likely send you a fake amazon payment email too.

It's a scam, report it and move on.

13. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

company i worked for , used to sell conference tickets to bloody Nigerians on stolen credit cards . Then they would send a letter to the villains inviting them to conferences in Europe . so the buggers could fly into the uk for a few days stop over . few days my arse.

you were not talking just a few but tens and tens of them at a time . But then again this was the same company who let young lady reps walk around with 10 grands work of unreciepted entrance cash for months and months at a time as well.

14. Sounds like a profitable model.

15. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

not reallly the shares went from over £7 each to under £4 and still struggleing. serves em right for making me redundant in order to save costs grin .