Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. <small><center>Hello.

i'm 15 and hope to join the infantry next year or the year after. I've searched around a bit but can't find the answer to my question. What do infantry soldiers do when not on ops? Apart from the obvious, drinking, pissing around, shooting at eachother.

T. RAWRR

2. u train u train and keep training obviously u have a laugh but its not all about pissing around

3. man sex and lots of it.

4. Could you give me like a rough "timetable" sort of thing?

5. Mate your young and you have a mind set on being and doing a warry blow stuff up job, go to your afco and give them an idea of what you want to be doing and you will be given a few booklets and maybe a DVD.

Cal

6. Don't look to the infantry as being your first choice. The pay isn't good, it's hard work, dangerous (obviously), and not exactly enjoyable I wouldn't imagine.

Don't think that you'll go in and be an ace soldier like someone out of platoon, it's hard stuff. Look into something where you can get a trade behind you.

7. Ash, It's not just the infantry that's caught my eye, i've also looked at being an Ammo Tech, or an Armourer.

Callum, I have the DVD and to be honest it's a pile of w@nk, just waffling on about the pay and travel etc...

8. Ash, It's not just the infantry that's caught my eye, i've also looked at being an Ammo Tech, or an Armourer.

Callum, I have the DVD and to be honest it's a pile of w@nk, just waffling on about the pay and travel etc...

9. If you ask your CA at the AFCO for info booklets on the corps you're interested in, he will give them to you. They're packed with info and also little interviews with soldiers in those corps. So just try and get as much info as you can mate, so you get a well rounded idea of what you're looking at.

10. You get paid higher pay band.

If you do your job properly, they are all hard work.

Care to expand on those answers, ash?

If yours is that easy I may re-badge.

11. 'Hard work' was a bit vague I guess...
    Well, Tommy, watch something like that Ross kemp in Afghanistan programme ;)

And I wasn't implying that other corps' work wasn't hard..!

12. Infantry soldiers have trades just like all other soldiers. Some are stores personel, others are drivers, armourers, PTI's and so on. They perform these duties while not on ops and they also train day in and day out.

Don't let anyone tell you that infantry is a bad job. Yes there are fewer pay perks and some of the work is a bit harder but everyone in the army carries heavy loads and goes on long tabs. It doesn't quite live up to the image put over in films and so on either but then nothing does.

I'm going RAC as a CR2 crewman. I was still doing research as late as this week even though I leave for basic in a week or two just to be absolutely sure that I had the role that was right for me. I've discovered even though I will train to operate the Challenger 2, I will also do a lot of dismounted stuff (I.e. similar to infantry). It's only this kind of research that will get you to where you want to be.

Go for the role you want, not what other people tell you to. If you need a closer look ask to go on the regimental insight courses if you can and do plenty of research. If you really want to be an infantry soldier then go for it.

13. Infantry isn't bad at all, everybody in the army counts and everyone takes the neccessary responsibility. Just make sure it's what you want, as with any other corps!

14. Just bear in mind ash, that reading your other posts, you are not in yet, so keep your advice to the level you are at now.

My good friend The _Iron, who is an ex-recruiter, frequents these forums, and is probably drowning his sorrows at the mo, (for reasons you wouldn't understand, hopefully yet).

All trades across the Army have benefits, it just depends on what you wish to do.

15. Yep, that's right. But what I did do is try and gather as much info from my CA and other places... not that it means I'm a complete know-it-all ;)
    Just going by what I've been reading here and there!