Discussion in 'Officers' started by Recruit123, Nov 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there are certain medical conditions that can prevent a person from joining the army.
    Could someone tell me if psoriasis is one of them?
    I don’t really suffer from it that badly but every 4 or 5 years I get an outbreak that covers me from head to toe, will this go against my application to sandhurst?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
  2. Lord, I hope not or I've joined under false pretences. :wink:

Anyway - not really a Mess quation, more an RAMC forum or RHQ forum question. Never mind, apply anyway and come clean at your medical interview. There's no harm in making the effort.

3. could be quite handy for camouflage if we ever go to war on Mars! :)

kidding. ive seen an Education Corps female officer with it years ago. but wasnt head to foot (not that i could see, anyway ;))
  4. Maybe this wasn’t the right board to ask this question but you’re making me feel a little better about this irritating problem :D
    I’m really suffering from it at the moment but I haven’t gone to the doctor yet as I don’t want psoriasis to show up on my recent medical records if it’s going to prevent me from getting in.
    I know some might see it as a mark against my integrity if I try and hide this but I don’t want to let what I see as a petty skin condition stand between me and my dream job.
  5. I'm not an officer so board regulars get ready to shoot me down. I'm assuming you're applying for a commision.

Integrity is an incredibly important part of any career in the army, whether as a tom or an officer, Regs or TA.

If you apply as an officer and don't declare it, you're compromising your integrity. If you then get caught out, the consequences could be severe.

On a practical note, does your condition flare up when you're deprived of sleep/hungry/stressed for any period? If so, the army may not be for you.

Sorry to be so depressing.
  6. Gingwarr is absolutely right. Integrity is a BIG deal, as it should be. Don't attempt to hide anything, just be upfront about the condition.
  7. I had it for years in the ranks and was given excellent treatment throughout - when I was commissioned (the fools, the fools!) - no change. I knew one officer of Field rank who had it really bad - his only problem was when being picked for the "skins" in kickabouts, which was solved easily. Don't hide it, be up front. Good luck, and keep taking the tonic. Sunshine is good - now where in the world do we deploy with buckets of that? Hmmm.
  8. Dead right, gingwarr. Having psoriasis may or may not have a bearing on your acceptance, but trying to conceal the truth will DEFINITELY have an impact on anyone wanting to become an officer. Bear in mind that the medical interview involves the shedding of clothing and physical examn of ones condition. Hiding a skin condition like psoriasis is no easy task in those circumstances.

9. Damn i didn't know they still did that. 8O 8O

I just thought it was that pervert of a Doctor's Assistant Dr that just liked seeing young men naked, and that me, being a wee sprog, was far too scared to say anything (York Medical centre, in the late 1980's). :oops: :oops:

:wink: Seems the tradition continues. Hmmmmmmmmm.