Question - Winter camping in tents

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Dec 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all. Planning on doing some over night camping soon with friends but my only experience of winter camping is field exercises in bivvi bags. Im wondering how sleeping in tents effect temperature ratings of sleeping bags (while on inflatable roll mats), can they increase the ratings?

Its was -18 recently in the highlands so planning on that as an extreme even with the incoming "warmer" weather, so not sure if i could push it using my Softie 9 or best go with the bulky issue bag. Thanks and merry Christmas.

2. Depends on the tent of course, but all the tent will basically do is hold off the windchill. So if you are going out in sub-zero temperatures you are going to be very, very uncomfortable in a Softie 9.

3. As VM says really, though the more in the tent and the smaller it is, will make it slightly warmer then sleeping in a 2 man tent on your jack. A bivvy bag also increases the temp rating of your doss bag. Where you also pitch will have a factor on how cold it will be.

4. What they said, plus, your personal fitness plays a part, if you are bionic you will feel warm in a zipped up 5 season bag at -18.

5. If you are all good friends, you could share body heat

6. Thanks for that. I was thinking the tent would do bugger all but wasnt sure since its a confined space with 2 bodies in it, issue bag it is.

7. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

sorry BC but the opposite is true. muscle has poor heat retention compared to fat, so the fitter you are, the less heat retention you have. A bit like whales and their flubber really.

8. Chairman Mao suit, trousers and jacket, and the artic over socks (like putting your foot in a pillow) with some gloves and silk balaclava would keep you alive in a GS sleeping bag, in a tent.

9. SqueekingSapper, Fitter people tend to have better circulation and feel cold less.

I agree that a good layer of blubber is good for heat retention but that wasnt what I was talking about.

Out of windchill in a good quality bag, fit people cope better than lardy types.

10. Take the issue maggot: you can always unzip it.

11. squeekingsapper

Better circulation minus heat retention=?

when it comes down to the fatties thinking and and acting in the cold then I second your analysis but when it is just a matter of camping in the cold then it has been proven that your average fit squaddie is at a disadvantage to the couch potato.

I do add that I am not quoting "fit to function" or indeed peoples will to survive as I know that a few "fit" individuals have been pulled out of freezing water after 25+ minutes still alive. I am merely quoting heat retention figures and accept that mental additude outweighs the physical

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Which MRT would you like warned off?

13. squeekingsapper

BC, all agreed mate. job done and end ex :D

14. 5 season down + silk liner should be warm plus some nice thermals. Don't over lay in your doss bag though, they're warmest with just one layer of clothing.

15. Haha no need for that. The predicted temps are nowhere near -18 plus the area we are going isnt too badly hit by snow and has easy access. Just planning worst case scenario considering the weather lately in some areas in that neck of the woods. This is just a wee bimble around some gentle hills taking advantage of nice views with the snow covering.