Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Question to those EX servicemen who are over 30 ?

civpop42

Old Salt
I am 37 and a full time truck driver. I love my job but my wages have not risen in the last 4 years. I do not own any property and will not recieve any inheritance. I live in the south east and my rent is half of my wages.
With house prices in this country set to average £300,000 in the next 10 years.Is anyone in my boat and how can people like us get out of this trap?

I was there and struggled like hell to pay the mortgage on a flat. It works, 15 years later I have a 4 bed detached. I too live in the south east but short of robbing banks there is feck all you can do bar buying a tip and live in it then sell for a profit to another mug!

I don't know the answer to your question civpop, I think the same thing for my kids.

It must make you wonder what life will be like after working. Most of my drivers haven't bothered taking out the company pension, the logic being that anything they save, the government will offset against any social money going - I must admit they have a point.

chris951 said:
Tights .... shotgun .... bank ....... free food & accom for some years!
That was going to be my pension, a cucumber in a brown paper bag, get away with it and you are ok, get caught and you have 25 yrs B&B + meals. Buggers keep closing the sub post offices and even on pension day there is nothing worth pinching!

Mover said:
I don't know the answer to your question civpop, I think the same thing for my kids.

It must make you wonder what life will be like after working. Most of my drivers haven't bothered taking out the company pension, the logic being that anything they save, the government will offset against any social money going - I must admit they have a point.
Yourpension will only get raided if not by your employer then by the Govt. Put it in bricks and mortar but its all long term. Nothing less than 40 years planning! I aim to have a mortgage free property in 5 or 6 years allowing me to stop working (I fecking hate work) and get on with doing the dogs job I really love!

ugly said:
chris951 said:
That was going to be my pension, a cucumber in a brown paper bag, get away with it and you are ok, get caught and you have 25 yrs B&B + meals. Buggers keep closing the sub post offices and even on pension day there is nothing worth pinching!

I shouldn't really be flippant about it but what can you do! Essential service providers cannot afford to buy in the areas they serve (Nurses, firemen, teachers etc). Government really doesn't care and will do precious little to help. House prices have outstripped salary increases, inflation etc for the last 15 years. Most people trying to buy now cannot afford anything consumate with their income.

The only vaguely sensible thing I can suggest is start small and try to invest your way up the property ladder. Problem is the bottom "should" fall out of the market at some point as the current rate cannot be sustained (surely?)

chris951 said:
ugly said:
chris951 said:

I shouldn't really be flippant about it but what can you do! Essential service providers cannot afford to buy in the areas they serve (Nurses, firemen, teachers etc). Government really doesn't care and will do precious little to help. House prices have outstripped salary increases, inflation etc for the last 15 years. Most people trying to buy now cannot afford anything consumate with their income.

The only vaguely sensible thing I can suggest is start small and try to invest your way up the property ladder. Problem is the bottom "should" fall out of the market at some point as the current rate cannot be sustained (surely?)
I suppose saving up a few grand for a deposit to buy when the arse falls out of the market is the difficult start. If you can get a 100% mortgage or deposit paid new flat deal then its a start. The old rule used to be spend no more than 25% of net income on property. You could always try a part ownership deal or a housing assoc to get the rent lower!

I do not know of anyone who is in my social group who are much different to me. Everone close to me works but we live from week to week. They along with me are not really able to plan anything more than a day in advance. I as much as they do wish to have a stake in something. Most of my friends get regularly FCUK'ed on cannabis coke or alchohol. I feel sorry for them getting out of it all the time. The only thing is that I am just as much of a junkie as they are because I go on mesage forums.

I was in the army for 9 years and it was the best time of my life.

After seeing that life and comparing it to the utter shit I live in now I am quite depressed.

I will never admitt defeat but I think my traditional English sense of fair play is being relegated.

I have tried to build bridges with all the people who I meet in my local area. At the end of the day even though we are all of the same social standing within the UK we all end up when the shit hits the fan siding on family race and then religious groupings.

Nobody I know has any stake in society.
how are we going to get this lost generation feeling we are part of something?

Thank fcuk that you can get 8 cans of stella for a £5 where i live. when the working man cannot get out of his head for such a cheap price the ruling class better be wary?

me and be I currently work 6 days a week and my desposible income is £70. How on earth am I to pay the bills and get better qualified? Should I just sign on and develop a disability?

Tough one civpop - if your income is under 25000 per annum the ou will give you claim forms to get a student grant. but 8 hrs study a week would be far too little - I see it that you have a crap job, driving isn't something I would want to do. Do you have any alternatives?