Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Question to those EX servicemen who are over 30 ?

Civpop. Have you thought about Distant learning? You said that you spend much of your time on the net. DL allows you to study at home in your own time to gain the qualification that you want / need.
Give something like that a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Civpop

While I may not be able to offer much adivce as the others have done so, I would just like to thank you, albeit it in a narsty sence, I left the regs but still in my eaily 20s, I am now at uni, and thank God I have my parents, and my mother pertically to fall back on, I don;t know what I would do with out them. But I have printed your intial comment and pinned it on my wall as to act as a motivator for me to study and save!

So often even in a highter education eviorment it is easy to delay doing and essay or going out when I should be studying, or to loose sight of my goals for these follies. This I hope will spur me on at these lolls.

On a more positive note to yourself, as Lobster said, 37 isn't too old! I have people on my course that are far inexcess of 37 and are still looking to make a career from what they will get from uni, the support systems are there, you just have to look for them! Don't give up! It is a case of priotisations, if you've only got £70 a week to spare you need to think how you can improve that, note a break down of where all the money is going, use sites like moneysavingexpert.com to find these helping hands, you say about paying for your internet, Do you really need it? or is there a cheeper way of getting it? like the orange deal to get free bb if you use their contracts. This is something easier said than done but you need to make your pennies go the furthist they can, prices in the south are expences, so then why not move? or change empoiers, company loyalty is a fast if you are putting yourself on the poverity line for it! If HGV is all you know but it doesn't pay well then i'm affraid you'll have to leave your comfert zone!

I wish you all the best, and I hope that you can find a way to pull yourself from this rut, but again I thank you for giving me the kick up the arrse to study!!

Regards and Best wishes

Loz

37 too old?!
After I left the corps I went to Uni OK I was thirty but one of my fellow students was a fifty two year old ex shipyard worker and a lovely bloke with it. he too got a job and is now working for some council oop north.
Too old my arse.
NEVER too old to do anything! just might have to take a bit more time over some things.

old booty I am glad everything worked out for you but why is there this obsession about going to University?

I decided to have a go at higher education on leaving the army in 1997.
I had to complete an Access course which I chose in Information Technology. I was living at the time on a friends sofa. To finance myself I worked for a courier company from 1830 to 2130 every night.

It is my firm view based on my six months of attending an Access course that the only reason they exist is to get bums on seats so that the college can obtain more funding.

Within six months my course dwindled to 4 students from the 12 that started. The ammount of times that I travelled to college to find my lecturer had left or the lesson had been cancelled was ridiculous. As for the standard of education I recieved when they did turn up. One lecturer would get us to hand write pages from the internet while he got on with some programming he was doing for a software company. FFS .

When the same Lecturer lost all of our coursework I decided to bin it. I was totally disillusioned with it all. Not one person out of the two Access courses that were running completed the course.

It does look like I will have to change the job I love just to have a reasonable standard of living. I cant move up north as me and my partner look after our elderly parents who are not in the best of health.

I am thinking of doing one of Microsofts courses MCSE maybe?

civpop42 said:
old booty I am glad everything worked out for you but why is there this obsession about going to University?

I decided to have a go at higher education on leaving the army in 1997.
I had to complete an Access course which I chose in Information Technology. I was living at the time on a friends sofa. To finance myself I worked for a courier company from 1830 to 2130 every night.

It is my firm view based on my six months of attending an Access course that the only reason they exist is to get bums on seats so that the college can obtain more funding.

Within six months my course dwindled to 4 students from the 12 that started. The ammount of times that I travelled to college to find my lecturer had left or the lesson had been cancelled was ridiculous. As for the standard of education I recieved when they did turn up. One lecturer would get us to hand write pages from the internet while he got on with some programming he was doing for a software company. FFS .

When the same Lecturer lost all of our coursework I decided to bin it. I was totally disillusioned with it all. Not one person out of the two Access courses that were running completed the course.

It does look like I will have to change the job I love just to have a reasonable standard of living. I cant move up north as me and my partner look after our elderly parents who are not in the best of health.

I am thinking of doing one of Microsofts courses MCSE maybe?
[/b

Just do something that interests you! Although if you try to get into IT when you left the Army, and still want to do it now, then it sounds like the course was not run very well - so try to find a decent provider this time.

One more thing, not one person has posted on this board that they tried to better themselves and are still in the same rut. I think the most important thing is just to do something you enjoy.

I have come into a rut in my present situation because I thought things would improve. I didn't join the army to make a fortune I didn't expect to come out of it a wealthy man. I did it because I felt it was a job worth doing and I believed in duty and honour.

I would like to point out now that I was homeless 5 years ago and at rock bottom. I literally had nothing. The situation I am in now is a world away from those days.

25% of the homeless people in this country served in the forces remember that fact. Some people like me live on the edge of that abyss.

You don't see the thoughts of those people reflected on this message board do you?

linemanloz said:
Civpop

While I may not be able to offer much adivce as the others have done so, I would just like to thank you, albeit it in a narsty sence, I left the regs but still in my eaily 20s, I am now at uni, and thank God I have my parents, and my mother pertically to fall back on, I don;t know what I would do with out them. But I have printed your intial comment and pinned it on my wall as to act as a motivator for me to study and save!

So often even in a highter education eviorment it is easy to delay doing and essay or going out when I should be studying, or to loose sight of my goals for these follies. This I hope will spur me on at these lolls.

On a more positive note to yourself, as Lobster said, 37 isn't too old! I have people on my course that are far inexcess of 37 and are still looking to make a career from what they will get from uni, the support systems are there, you just have to look for them! Don't give up! It is a case of priotisations, if you've only got £70 a week to spare you need to think how you can improve that, note a break down of where all the money is going, use sites like moneysavingexpert.com to find these helping hands, you say about paying for your internet, Do you really need it? or is there a cheeper way of getting it? like the orange deal to get free bb if you use their contracts. This is something easier said than done but you need to make your pennies go the furthist they can, prices in the south are expences, so then why not move? or change empoiers, company loyalty is a fast if you are putting yourself on the poverity line for it! If HGV is all you know but it doesn't pay well then i'm affraid you'll have to leave your comfert zone!

I wish you all the best, and I hope that you can find a way to pull yourself from this rut, but again I thank you for giving me the kick up the arrse to study!!

Regards and Best wishes

Loz

I too have printed your post out. I have shown it to several degree educated drivers that I work with. I and they alike chortled at the piss poor spelling of our future intellectuals.

My Partner who is also degree educated in English language and currently trying to pay off £15000 pounds of student debt, also chortled. She has the fantastically well paid job of Admin Assistant in the NHS.

Merry Christmas and hope you have bought your parents really nice presents. To make up for the lack of rent you are paying them.

PS The only time I heard the expression "Regs" was from a TA movements controller I was banging the arrse off at South Cerney.

civpop42 said:
linemanloz said:
Civpop

Regards and Best wishes

Loz

I too have printed your post out. I have shown it to several degree educated drivers that I work with. I and they alike chortled at the urine poor spelling of our future intellectuals.

My Partner who is also degree educated in English language and currently trying to pay off £15000 pounds of student debt, also chortled. She has the fantastically well paid job of Admin Assistant in the NHS.

Merry Christmas and hope you have bought your parents really nice presents. To make up for the lack of rent you are paying them.

PS The only time I heard the expression "Regs" was from a TA movements controller I was banging the arrse off at South Cerney.

If your partner is so well paid, how comes you are in a rut?

amazing__lobster said:
civpop42 said:
linemanloz said:
Civpop

Regards and Best wishes

Loz

I too have printed your post out. I have shown it to several degree educated drivers that I work with. I and they alike chortled at the urine poor spelling of our future intellectuals.

If your partner is so well paid, how comes you are in a rut?

I was taking the urine mate. she's on £16,500 and barred from a pay rise for 5 years for that matter.

Do you firmly believe a degree opens the gates to heaven or something?
BTW she really enjoys her job and there is no way I want her to leave it as I respect her too much. She has quite a responsibilty and gets a lot of satisfaction from it.

No I do not think a degree opens the gates to heaven - especially as I'm agnostic! But I have chosen to do a degree that I enjoy, and I am aiming for a serious career that I will enjoy doing.

But I know that without a degree, there is no way I would be able to get where I want. Do you really think a degree is such a waste of time?

It really just depends if you use it or not. I did have a crane license, but that has run out. Some of the guys on the course were talking about jobs paying 30K+. But because I never used it, and it has now run out, it was a waste of time.

Regards,

AL

So being a professional HGV driver is not as worthy as the path you wish to follow? I should be forced to endure life. To live life at subsistance levels? Is HGV driver the task of the Untermensch?

civpop42 said:
So being a professional HGV driver is not as worthy as the path you wish to follow? I should be forced to endure life. To live life at subsistance levels? Is HGV driver the task of the Untermensch?

WTF, you fcuking chopper? When did I say that? You have a huge chip on your shoulder mate - you must walk lopsided.

If you don't like your lot, then top yourself instead of posting bone threads on here.

amazing__lobster said:
civpop42 said:

WTF, you fcuking chopper? When did I say that? You have a huge chip on your shoulder mate - you must walk lopsided.

If you don't like your lot, then top yourself instead of posting bone threads on here.

I agree with Amazing_lobster. You have moaned about how life has treated you, generally abused the advice you have been offered and taken the piss out of more than one who have obviously wasted their time on your behalf.

I have advice for you too. Fcuk off.

Oh and a Merry Xmas.