Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Time Commentary

Slime

LE
Right, I can’t take any more Beeb tonight, I’m off to bed :)

Fifi was off form - she allowed 45.69 seconds to pass before she interrupted the Tory. I have to say the Tory lady came across very well and her dismissal of Laura K was swift and sharp...and I have to admit the Labour lady was a cut above some of Labour's previous offerings (which is not difficult).

At about that time, the UK authorities started waking up to the problem of counterfeit and illicit trade in tobacco products and started to take it seriously.
@LeoRoverman might take slight issue with that if I have my dates wrong.
dates are somewhat irrelevant the argument that went to the heart of the duty escalator row was that it was a deterrent to drinking and smoking that we had higher duties. We never did really drop or duty free concept, just became slightly amended Mils. Minimum indicative Limits.

dates are somewhat irrelevant the argument that went to the heart of the duty escalator row was that it was a deterrent to drinking and smoking that we had higher duties. We never did really drop or duty free concept, just became slightly amended Mils. Minimum indicative Limits.
My point was really that up until that report came out, illicit trade in tobacco appeared to have been of minimal concern to the UK authorities: ‘smoking bad and we aren’t the ones being ripped off’ sort of attitude.
Then they realised how much revenue they were losing p/a and the mindset changed.
It didn’t stop the Government raising tobacco taxes, though, despite warnings that to do so would create an even bigger illicit trade market in the UK.
And so it proved.

My point was really that up until that report came out, illicit trade in tobacco appeared to have been of minimal concern to the UK authorities: ‘smoking bad and we aren’t the ones being ripped off’ sort of attitude.
Then they realised how much revenue they were losing p/a and the mindset changed.
It didn’t stop the Government raising tobacco taxes, though, despite warnings that to do so would create an even bigger illicit trade market in the UK.
And so it proved.
Don’t tell too many people this but the actual guff around smuggling is myth. But like myths about the wreckers, was far more to do with underwriting fraud. As a treat my missus , out of a pure laugh bought me the Customs finance acts from 1791. When you have a look at the tarriffs you come to a stunning conclusion.Smuggling is far more corporate than ad hoc, as portrayed. No way could would be smugglers establish the chains to be effective. That takes hard cash. “Face wall my darling as the Gentlemen ride by” is far closer to the truth. But business is business and the odd hanging for killing some customs officer was quite a way of distracting.
They didn’t like me snooping off the beaten track. If you think I’m the traditional type forget it.
Oh and bear this in mind, just consider the operational needs of clandestine moves in the last lot... that couldn’t have happened ad hoc. It’s all bout contacts.

Don’t tell too many people this but the actual guff around smuggling is myth. But like myths about the wreckers, was far more to do with underwriting fraud. As a treat my missus , out of a pure laugh bought me the Customs finance acts from 1791. When you have a look at the tarriffs you come to a stunning conclusion.Smuggling is far more corporate than ad hoc, as portrayed. No way could would be smugglers establish the chains to be effective. That takes hard cash. “Face wall my darling as the Gentlemen ride by” is far closer to the truth. But business is business and the odd hanging for killing some customs officer was quite a way of distracting.
They didn’t like me snooping off the beaten track. If you think I’m the traditional type forget it.
Oh and bear this in mind, just consider the operational needs of clandestine moves in the last lot... that couldn’t have happened ad hoc. It’s all bout contacts.
Sorry for the further drift, but that brought to mind something I remembered from my childhood, not long after moving to the area.
Murdered Customs Officer

I may actually watch tonight, for the first time in many months, in the hope JHB manages to rip Wes Streeting, the eternal student politician, a new one.
Also interesting will be Malcolm Turnbull, to see what he has to say ref Brexit and trade deals.

I may actually watch tonight, for the first time in many months, in the hope JHB manages to rip Wes Streeting, the eternal student politician, a new one.
Also interesting will be Malcolm Turnbull, to see what he has to say ref Brexit and trade deals.
Although I’ve never stopped really watching QT, I’ll be watching for the same reasons. I don’t think JHB will take too kindly to being shouted down by Bruce.
I see ‘we’ have managed to to get rid of that piss flap Kay Burley from Sky news for at least 6 months. Pity it wasn’t for 6 years or forever.
Think I’ll invite Fifi over to an ad hoc barbie with a few mates and see if we can get shut of her for eons.

Slime

LE
First question from a dick who was full of himself.

Latest Threads