Question Time Commentary

Slime

LE
woo boo, Bruce interrupted the tory before he had finished the first syllable of his very first word...........how did she already know what he would go on to say?

Horton's profile on Wikipaedia is interesting, and gives a fair picture of his political sympathies. Interestingly, he "was heavily criticised for refusing to take action for so long" (in retracting a paper he co-authored published on MMR, which led to large outbreaks of measles). "The publication of the paper set off a sharp decline in vaccinations in Europe and America and in subsequent years globally". But he criticises the government for taking so long in recognising the full effects of COVID-19. Hypocrisy writ large.

Last edited:

PFGEN

GCM
Have only caught the last 15 mins of this however the Tory boy seems to have done rather well. Have the party finally woken up to the idea that sending somebody competent particularly in the current situation is far better than sending some back bench nobody?

Slime

LE
A newcomer to this show could wonder just how biased the BBC have made this show, in fact, a cynic could wonder whether Bruce had been a Labour supporter, or campaigner or supporter of CND campaigns like that at Greenham Common....,,,..oh, hang on.

I do understand the Labour party's requirement to hold the Government to account, but Thornberry's blatant politicking was more than disgusting. 'Leadership' indeed.

Edit: Something someone said (Horton, possibly) was interesting; the virus may have reached the UK far earlier than anyone realised. It'll be very interesting to see the results when the testing kits are on general distribution; how many of the population have had a dose of it without realising, and how many have had a mild 'flu' but thought it was just that. I wouldn't be surprised if the number is very large.

Last edited:
Horton's profile on Wikipaedia is interesting, and gives a fair picture of his political sympathies. Interestingly, he "was heavily criticised for refusing to take action for so long" (in retracting a paper he co-authored on MMR, which led to large outbreaks of measles). "The publication of the paper set off a sharp decline in vaccinations in Europe and America and in subsequent years globally". But he criticises the government for taking so long in recognising the full effects of COVID-19. Hypocrisy writ large.
Not sure that Horton was one of the co-authors, but he was the Editor of the Lancet who published the paper. What is curious about him is that the eventual problem with the paper was to do with the claim that there was a 'causal link' between MMR and Autism. 10 of the original 13 authors retracted from this conclusion in 2004, but Horton had known about it since 1998 and never raised an issue until much much later. Have to agree his is in no position to criticize the government on the 'timeliness' of their interventions.

Last edited:
Curious, then, for such a unique domestic crisis as this one the Shadow Home Sec wasn't invited onto the show?
True. Although, as a professed sufferer from diabetes, she should be firmly in the closet.

(Edit: she's not on the list of MPs self-isolating, though).

Slime

LE
Listening to the QT extra show on Radio 5 something has become very clear about the BBC message.

We need to feel very very very very very sorry for the 2-5% of the self employed who may not be covered by the latest aid scheme.

For clarity we need to feel sorry for at most 5% of the self employed, not those in employment and certainly not 5% of the population.

meanwhile, lets not bother to worry or concentrate on those in society getting an easy ride..........who have, or will die a nasty and lonely death from this as yet incurable virus!

Good to see the Beeb getting its priorities in order.
For my own part I feel sorry for those who currently have relatives about to die in hospital, but are not allowed in to visit them.

I do understand the Labour party's requirement to hold the Government to account, but Thornberry's blatant politicking was more than disgusting. 'Leadership' indeed.

Edit: Something someone said (Horton, possibly) was interesting; the virus may have reached the UK far earlier than anyone realised. It'll be very interesting to see the results when the testing kits are on general distribution; how many of the population have had a dose of it without realising, and how many have had a mild 'flu' but thought it was just that. I wouldn't be surprised if the number is very large.
Its been circulating a lot, lot longer than originally thought. Cases in Wuhan are believed to have first surfaced in August last year. In Uk from at least mid-January.

Listening to the QT extra show on Radio 5 something has become very clear about the BBC message.

We need to feel very very very very very sorry for the 2-5% of the self employed who may not be covered by the latest aid scheme.

For clarity we need to feel sorry for at most 5% of the self employed, not those in employment and certainly not 5% of the population.

meanwhile, lets not bother to worry or concentrate on those in society getting an easy ride..........who have, or will die a nasty and lonely death from this as yet incurable virus!

Good to see the Beeb getting its priorities in order.
For my own part I feel sorry for those who currently have relatives about to die in hospital, but are not allowed in to visit them.
I'm surprised they didn't complain about the lack of action by the government in supporting illegal immigrants incapable of social distancing whilst fleeing war torn France for the essential travel to make it to the UK to claim Universal Credit

Fairly sure Mrs Rebel came back from Australia with it just after Christmas and we both went down with a very short term fever and cough approx 48 hours.

Latest Threads