Question Time Commentary

No, it was on the east side. The big long building on the west side was D Block, which was a science block and claimed to be the longest university building in the world. There was an old boy, ex Navy, who used to pop in about once a month to do haircuts for the staff in D Block for 50p a time. I found out about him because a fellow Observer was on the staff there and it was a lot cheaper than the £4.50, with student discount, that I paid at Matthew ??? on Whitefriars Street.

The WMC eventually became part of the University, as did the Odeon Cinema, but I didn't know that the WMC had actually gone. When I was last in Cov three years ago they were looking at knocking down the Elephant over Cox Street. I used to shoot there as a member of the Poly rifle and pistol club. I also sat most of my finals there, so definitely mixed feelings about the place. The Hope and Anchor has also gone - I think it closed 10 years ago. That's a shame because I used to shoot with the landlord at a gun club on Foleshill Road and got some great lock ins and free food on a Tuesday night.
D,oh! I meant East. Yes, ISTR the factoid that D Block possessed the longest single corridor in Europe when built.

I did a couple of my exams in the WMC (Didn't know it had gone until I looked myself) and a few in the Elephant. Most of the time I spent in the Elephant was doing circuits though! I'm not surprised the Odeon got assimilated as that was where we got our introductory lecture. Nowhere else could accomodate the whole course.

Fond memories of wee Ray in the Hope (sadly passed now I believe). Used to bring him stuff from his muckers Butchers shop when I came back from home. The first time I went in to order it I said who it was for and he broke into a wide grin and said "Geordie!" and regaled me with a few tales of his youthful "entreprenuership".

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Here's a proper complaint letter to the BBC about Rachael Boyle:-

I went for my PGCE interview at Edge Hill's Chorley "campus", and frankly the place was grim. It was an educational institution with the emphasis on institution. On top of that, my teaching placements were going to be in Liverpool.

I class my experience there as "I dodged a bullet."
I was correct then with:
Edge Hill University - whut? Sounds like a Tom Sharpe 'Wilt' novel

Formerly Toxteth Remedial School?

IKEA is the land of plenty when it comes to stationery for primary school.
IKEA - the land of mini pencils, mini trolleys, mini tea-candles (Tillvaro),....

Why bother sending your daughter to school, send them to IKEA to learn to shop, change beds, be helpful.....

Sure beats school turning her into a Greta clone :p

NSP

LE
Re Fox,

They really can't help it, at all.
She really said she's sick to death of luvvies forcing their opinions on everyone? Has the silly bitch looked in mirror lately...?

I wouldn’t count on the support of that arch-remainer legal chappie, Jolyon Something, then.
Jolyon Moan - the self-admitted "I clubbed a Fox to death on Boxing day, wearing my wife's clothes"

D,oh! I meant East. Yes, ISTR the factoid that D Block possessed the longest single corridor in Europe when built.

I did a couple of my exams in the WMC (Didn't know it had gone until I looked myself) and a few in the Elephant. Most of the time I spent in the Elephant was doing circuits though! I'm not surprised the Odeon got assimilated as that was where we got our introductory lecture. Nowhere else could accomodate the whole course.

Fond memories of wee Ray in the Hope (sadly passed now I believe). Used to bring him stuff from his muckers Butchers shop when I came back from home. The first time I went in to order it I said who it was for and he broke into a wide grin and said "Geordie!" and regaled me with a few tales of his youthful "entreprenuership".
One of the lads at the Foleshill club was a pawnbroker from Birmingham, although he was originally ex RAF and from Northern Ireland. His first experience of Cov was going into the Hope in about 1979 and being given a tin with the words "Help Kill a British Soldier" written on the side. That never happened in the Hope when I was there but there were still a few places that did. He used to turn up to our lock ins.

I lived in Hillfields in my final year. Coming back from a lock in my mate Gerry drove me home. As we drove into my street we saw a bloke wearing just a pair of trousers (no shoes, no top) smashing car windows with a large lump of wood. Gerry pulled over, whipped out his (unloaded) revolver and shouted at said nutter. The nutter then dropped the wood, turned and ran, leaving a short trail of shit on the road. Happy days.

BobbHope

War Hero
I used to be able to quote all the building "letters" but my brain appears to have ditched them (as has the institution which seems to have renamed everything). Are N Block and the Working Mens Club on the west of Cox St? If so the WM Club is gone.

LINK
You're right. The street view that you link to shows the former site of the Cov Working Men's club. The Coventry University has re-arranged the City Centre in far more ways than the Blitz and the 60's rebuild could make you imagine. Lots of Chinese cash flowing in so all good. Oh and 2021 City of Culture. :boogie::blowkiss::dance:

skeetstar

Old-Salt
The WMC eventually became part of the University, as did the Odeon Cinema, but I didn't know that the WMC had actually gone. When I was last in Cov three years ago they were looking at knocking down the Elephant over Cox Street. I used to shoot there as a member of the Poly rifle and pistol club. I also sat most of my finals there, so definitely mixed feelings about the place. The Hope and Anchor has also gone - I think it closed 10 years ago. That's a shame because I used to shoot with the landlord at a gun club on Foleshill Road and got some great lock ins and free food on a Tuesday night.
[/QUOTE]
On the Foleshill road? I knew a chap who (I think ) used a pistol range at the old Courtaulds buildings.. would that have been it?

On the Foleshill road? I knew a chap who (I think ) used a pistol range at the old Courtaulds buildings.. would that have been it?
[/QUOTE]
Shelter Firearms. Definitely a pistol range but not sure what it had been previously.

Laurence Fox is on telly this afternoon. ITV 3, Foyle's War.
May be the last time. Equity have asked for him to be banned from acting.

There’s a surprise......

Edit to add ‘read before you post’..... beaten to it

No, not quite. In fact, the exact opposite.
Perhaps you do not savvy how school budgets work, depending on region to region.
SWMBO retired 3 years ago with 42 years of Primary Education to her credit.

By the time she left, the per capita allowance of each child per session was £1,80p. That is paid only once to last the year. Lump sums are paid out by the Local Ed Dept, strangled of course by the Scottish Office. The schools receive that sum from which all materials & services are formatted to specific uses whether the Senior Staff like it or not. Cannot get blood out a stone.

All the FDC classroom assistants are gone. No more fun outings that need a bus. Special Care Centres are shut. Many schools have ceased the Breakfast Clubs. Schools lunch prices have gone up...a lot....which were subbed. It goes on and on.

None of these things are to do with how a Head cuts the cash. There is simply no wiggle room any more, and it has been getting worse for decades. She could have just told the kids there was nowt much to work with, but like most of her workmates, figured her job was easier to spend sometimes £50.00 per MONTH to keep her kids going. Not always that much...a good month might be just £30.00 odd.

Parents? Must be joking. The Age of the Great Entitled. She asked often enough and got well told it was not their job to subsidise or assist....their own kids. Selfish cvnts mostly. Nice Nike trainers & Iphones kids though. Oh aye..priorities eh?
Yebbut EssEnnPee, Toary cuts, Mel Gibson, Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

Here's a proper complaint letter to the BBC about Rachael Boyle:-
I can imagine the Beeb's response now:

"Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms ...,​
Thank you for your letter of...​
The BBC is an equal opportinities employer that strives to maintain a political balance in all its news and current affairs programmes.​
Yours sincerely,​
Jamilla Jobsworth​
Assistant Director​
Viewer Pacification Department"​

May be the last time. Equity have asked for him to be banned from acting.

There’s a surprise......

Edit to add ‘read before you post’..... beaten to it
Another feather in Fox's cap (IMO) is that he is not sending out an insincere "apology", but instead he's standing by what he's said and the twitterati can ram it.

Another feather in Fox's cap (IMO) is that he is not sending out an insincere "apology", but instead he's standing by what he's said and the twitterati can ram it.
Fox is my favourite luvvy, bar none (well the only one actually)! I thought he was going to be the typical QT left wing token panellist from the Showbiz world. How wrong I was! The exact polar opposite to the likes of Coogan and Grant. I bet hell will freeze over before the Beeb invites him back. What a shame.

Fox is my favourite luvvy, bar none (well the only one actually)! I thought he was going to be the typical QT left wing token panellist from the Showbiz world. How wrong I was! The exact polar opposite to the likes of Coogan and Grant. I bet hell will freeze over before the Beeb invites him back. What a shame.
He seems to have a sense of humour as well, as he's being raked over the coals over his new album, as he retweeted posts saying "It's clear that you have suffered for your music and now it's the public's turn"

"Playing forever on a loop in the foyer of Dignitas"

"An anthem the whole deaf community can get behind"

craven50

Old-Salt
He actually stood up for the caucasian male who are downtrodden by left wing luvies who rant and rave about racism. Hypocrites the lot of them
BRAVO Fox. :D

I’m sure the Biased Broadcasting Corporation were as shocked as everyone else. Need to do more research in future, unless Fox fibbed to get on of course

Latest Threads