Question Time Commentary

Watching it now, about a third into it.

Much the worst episode in terms of one-sided questioning and FB interventions.

BBC now not interested in impartiality, perhaps because it knows the game's up and only a Corbyn win will see its survival in current form.
I hope so.

As an aside.
My other half works for the NHS.
She says just in her small section alone there are two women who had left, then come back in a retention deal exactly like Boris wants to do for the nurses.
So that's four new nurses then? Top plan Boris.

Slime

LE

Slime

LE
TBH, they look more like a split bin bag than a letterbox, letterboxes are red, not black.
Are you not thinking of pillar boxes/post boxes when you mention red?

I think the letterbox idea refers to the oblong slit in some muslim headdress resembling the oblong letterbox slot in a front door.

With the above in mind, It’s essential to note that neither of the shouty girls on QT last night had their faces covered, so the original ‘letterbox’ mention in the article didn’t apply to them.

Slime

LE
Something else to note from last nights show.

When Jeremy Corbyn’s failure to apologise to Jews was brought up Fiona Bruce pointed out that Corbyn had already apologised in the past.
Why did she need to do this when the question had been asked to panel members?

Are you not thinking of pillar boxes/post boxes when you mention red?

I think the letterbox idea refers to the oblong slit in some muslim headdress resembling the oblong letterbox slot in a front door.

With the above in mind, It’s essential to note that neither of the shouty girls on QT last night had their faces covered, so the original ‘letterbox’ mention in the article didn’t apply to them.
When Lionel Shriver asked them if they had read the article, the expression on their faces clearly said ‘no, why should we bother? We’ve been told what he wrote.’

Slime

LE
When Lionel Shriver asked them if they had read the article, the expression on their faces clearly said ‘no, why should we bother? We’ve been told what he wrote.’
I also think they looked like they had been caught out and looked a bit silly as they couldn’t say they had read it, so got more shouty to compensate.

As I went to bed last night I wondered if they had indeed already read it, but couldn’t admit to that as it ruined their point, or whether they hadn’t actually read it, but would do so after the programme.

Then, listening to the Radio 5 ‘question time extra time’ show there was a commentator on the show who had read the whole article, said he understood the point Boris had been trying to make, and yet thought the comment was still racist.

my life these days has been much more relaxed since I decided to not watch this shite every Thursday any more

I get all the update on how crap the show still is on this fine sile

Slime

LE
So that's four new NHS workers then? Top plan Boris.
No, it’s two more workers, as you would already know.

Funnily enough, as this is ARRSE, it’s the exact same plan used for decades by all flavours of government used for forces retention.

I think that only dullards or people trying to make an issue out of nothing want to say retention incentives are Boris’s idea.

if the two women who had planned to retire, then retired hadn’t returned to work in the exact same role there would be two fewer members of staff.

There are now two more staff than if retention incentives hadn’t been offered.
It’s not difficult to grasp, unless you want to be awkward for the sake of it :)

Things like this have been used for pilots for decades.
Far cheaper and quicker to incentivise someone with a few grand than spend years in training at a cost of £3,000,000 to train a brand new one :)

Last edited:
No, it’s two more workers, as you would already know.

Funnily enough, as this is ARRSE, it’s the exact same plan used for decades by all flavours of government used for forces retention.

I think that only dullards or people trying to make an issue out of nothing want to say retention incentives are Boris’s idea.

if the two women who had planned to retire, then retired hadn’t returned to work in the exact same role there would be two fewer members of staff.

There are now two more staff than if retention incentives hadn’t been offered.
It’s not difficult to grasp, unless you want to be awkward for the sake of it :)

Things like this have been used for pilots for decades.
Far cheaper and quicker to incentivise someone with a few grand than spend years in training at a cost of £3,000,000 to train a brand new one :)
I'm glad you finally agree with me.

Slime

LE
As an aside.
My other half works for the NHS.
She says just in her small section alone there are two women who had left, then come back in a retention deal exactly like Boris wants to do for the nurses.
and Paramedics, but it's not all about the money. People don't look forward to retiring merely because the money's a bit shit, they can't wait to retire so that they can tell the management to poke it, and get what's left of their lives back.
Pay us a bonus to 'sign on again' with the equivalent of a HO/non-combat posting. That may appeal to some.

Slime

LE
and Paramedics, but it's not all about the money. People don't look forward to retiring merely because the money's a bit shit, they can't wait to retire so that they can tell the management to poke it, and get what's left of their lives back.
Pay us a bonus to 'sign on again' with the equivalent of a HO/non-combat posting. That may appeal to some.
For the women I mentioned above, the main benefit after retiring was that when they returned to their old job the following week they got the same pay, but also got their NHS pension on top.
The extra years they will do will also add to their ‘final’ retiring state pension.

edit.
There are of course benefits by still being employed by the NHS other than wages.
Ive just worked out we save around £800-1000 per year in discounts from my other halves ‘Blue light card’.

Last edited:

When Jeremy Corbyn’s failure to apologise to Jews was brought up Fiona Bruce pointed out that Corbyn had already apologised in the past.
Not to mention the pleasant coloured lady who could specifically state Corbyn had apologised in 2008... the thing is, it's got increasingly worse over the last few years of Corbyns leadership - to the extent of being investigated externally by the EHRC - yet the emphasis was on an apology had been made.

But what about the unsubstantiated Tory islamophobia?

Fiona Bruce - establishing parity between a real condition and a contrived one.
How ironic her art programme established provenance for genuine and fake artworks.

Slime

LE
Not to mention the pleasant coloured lady who could specifically state Corbyn had apologised in 2008... the thing is, it's got increasingly worse over the last few years of Corbyns leadership - to the extent of being investigated externally by the EHRC - yet the emphasis was on an apology had been made.

But what about the unsubstantiated Tory islamophobia?

Fiona Bruce - establishing parity between a real condition and a contrived one.
How ironic her art programme established provenance for genuine and fake artworks.
Her point, and timeline were the vitally important part of the Corbynista message.

It’s ultra important that 2008 is mentioned (if you are a Corbyn fan) as that meant he was apologising for someone else, as in the Labour party and not himself.

Any time after he became leader, and for some strange coincidence anti semitism rocketed, he would be apologising for his own lack of control.

He was apologising for what Gordon Brown ‘hadnt done’.

Yesterday one of his lackies was on Radio 5 pointing out that Corbyn ISN'T a pacifist, she added that ‘as you all know’* he has supported military action....................She was of course referring to his ONE single backing of intervention in over three decades, that of East Timor.

*How many people really knew he hadn’t backed any of our major interventions, and had voted against all but one thing.
I knew he had only backed one thing, but then I took the trouble to look it up.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
In a rare moment of compassion I actually felt sorry for Ken Livingstone a while back.
After Corbyn had ‘got to grips‘ with anti semitism in his party ‘and swiftly dealt with cases’ poor old Ken was so fed up after two years of Corbyn doing absolutely sod all to deal with Ken’s case that Ken resigned from the party.

But, and for balance.
When Alistair Campbell did something wrong he was out in two seconds flat..........he made the mistake of not being anti semitic.

syrup

LE

I gave up after about 5 minutes in when Bruce seemed to have all the facts and didn't need the panel
The Irish bird banging on about nurses stated a figure and Bruce responded with 7% then she answered something else
No need for the panel rename the show Question Fiona

Question one - NHS and Brexit..
Well we know the answer to that:

Labour lying as Andrew Neil exposed in his Barry Gardiner interview

On a wider point: does it matter who provides one's "free" NHS treatment? Dentists, GPs, Opticians... are Private sector NHS providers

Furthermore, EU are moving forward with plans to liberalise Healthcare sector same as Elec, Transport... thus, if we Remain, we will have French, German... run NHS hospitals

RoI woman on money: since 2010 there have been No Cuts - NHS budget has increased every year by inflation + 1.5%

Latest Threads