Question Time Commentary

The Guardian (that bastion of cogent, independent reportage) has a story that Abbott is complaining of racist abuse by being cut off more than anyone else.

Playing the race card confirms her ineptitude.

Alas the paper has not opened the comments section!
Did the other non-white panellist get cut off as much as Flabbott, or significantly more than the white panellists...?

Nope, thought not...

Avocados versus burgers. Quick check on Tesco website. Cheapest avocado currently 49p, 8-pack of burgers £1.39. Even accepting large avocado at £1, the claim that burgers are cheaper than an avocado is up there with Peter Mandelson's guacamole.......

Avocados versus burgers. Quick check on Tesco website. Cheapest avocado currently 49p, 8-pack of burgers £1.39. Even accepting large avocado at £1, the claim that burgers are cheaper than an avocado is up there with Peter Mandelson's guacamole.......
You sad man

Water's dirt cheap if you drink it from the tap.

If you're stupid enough to spend a fortune on bottled water then you get what you deserve (especially if it is in plastic bottles).
Those mortgage deposits won't spend themselves

Hilarious. The frothing left just can't help themselves but swallow Carden's assertions as fact without any counterpoint or knowledge/consideration of any actual evidence. I note that it was fine and dandy when Tory members of the panel were laughed at by the audience and put down by Dimbers Now the boot is, for once, on the other foot (allegedly) they don't like it!

Soft yoghurt-knitting brainwashed spunktrumpets, one and all.
I remember the hit piece episode where Nick Griffin was subjected to a public flogging.

He's an odious toad and no mistake, one could say similar for Abbot but by virtue of her melanin and genitalia it's seen as somewhat unseemly behaviour to criticise her.
It seems fair and sensible discourse is no longer possible in today's society.

Abbott managed a 2:2 in History at Cambridge, despite being coached by Simon Scharma.
After a short stint in the CS and PR, she became a labour councilor and subsequently found a safe seat as MP. Her credentials as a black female seemed to be working well for her until 2015, when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
She was temporarily relieved of her duties as home sec, suffering from stress, which was compounded by her condition.
Since her diagnosis, breakdown and subsequent return to duty, she has appeared gaffe prone, with the party machine finding it necessary to clear all her public speaking engagements in advance.
Given her age, (65) and apparently worsening health condition, it probably time to find a comfy chair somewhere, to limit the damage she can do to herself and her party.
The last 3 years have not been kind to Ms Abbott. How much of her downfall is self inflicted remains to be seen.

Given her age, (65) and apparently worsening health condition, it probably time to find a comfy chair somewhere, to limit the damage she can do to herself and her party.
Plugged in?

Abbott managed a 2:2 in History at Cambridge, despite being coached by Simon Scharma.
After a short stint in the CS and PR, she became a labour councilor and subsequently found a safe seat as MP. Her credentials as a black female seemed to be working well for her until 2015, when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
She was temporarily relieved of her duties as home sec, suffering from stress, which was compounded by her condition.
Since her diagnosis, breakdown and subsequent return to duty, she has appeared gaffe prone, with the party machine finding it necessary to clear all her public speaking engagements in advance.
The last 3 years have not been kind to Ms Abbott. How much of her downfall is self inflicted remains to be seen.
I've said it before, but it seems to me that Abbott is the best secret weapon the Tory party have.

She appeals to no one except Labour sycophants and zealots and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a substantial number of prospective voters are turned off from Labour, because the idea of someone of that apparent ineptitude becoming Home Secretary is a clear vote-loser.

It says a lot about the dearth of talent in the Labour ranks that they apparently don't consider that there is anyone better qualified for the position.

It says a lot about the dearth of talent in the Labour ranks that they apparently don't consider that there is anyone better qualified for the position.
I’m certainly no fan of Labour, in any of its various forms, but the frustrating (and annoying) thing is there is plenty of talent in the Party ranks.
Sadly, they choose to stay on the back benches, disengaged from the front bench of mediocrity, in the forlorn hope they will commit Political hari kari. It isn’t going to happen anytime soon. The country expects and deserves a credible opposition and I just wish the moderate, left leaning rump of the Party would break ranks from the Momentum dominated PLP and give voters a better choice.

I’m certainly no fan of Labour, in any of its various forms, but the frustrating (and annoying) thing is there is plenty of talent in the Party ranks.
Sadly, they choose to stay on the back benches, disengaged from the front bench of mediocrity, in the forlorn hope they will commit Political hari kari. It isn’t going to happen anytime soon. The country expects and deserves a credible opposition and I just wish the moderate, left leaning rump of the Party would break ranks from the Momentum dominated PLP and give voters a better choice.
I suspect it's going to have to get a lot worse for Labour before the grip of the extreem left is broken and they're put back in their box, in the same way that Militant tendancy had to virtually destroy the party before they were kicked into touch.

It's not a done-deal, but I think that labour's current position in the polls represents the high-water mark for the current incarnation, or at least under JC.

Leave Means Leave <a href="Leave Means Leave">Speechs</a>

eg Kate Hoey: Let's Go WTO
I'm a lifelong Conservative voter (except for UKIP in the last five European elections). I used to be a member of the Conservative Party. My absolute priority when it comes to voting is patriotism. I see a Labour Party which wants to hand over our country to foreigners (Moscow and then Brussels). I see the Liberal Democrats want to hand us over to Brussels. I see a Conservative Party that is split between Queen and Country, and Johnny Foreigner.

As a patriot, I could have voted Labour in 1945 because Atlee and Bevin loved our country. In 2019, as a Tory, I could vote for a Labour Party led by Kate Hoey or Frank Field for the same reason.

Ditto. I've always used my vote for what I believed was best for the UK. I've always been a strong trade unionist, but had no time for extremists who used it for their own personal gain rather than the workers they were supposed to represent. Having said that, I've never voted for labour. This dates back to the Cold War, when the"Loonie Left" as they were known, wanted to get rid of our nuclear deterrent.

I've voted for the Libs before they became wishy washy on defence too. Reluctantly went blue when they were the only ones who said they'd keep our nukes. Turned to UKIP, and believe it was because of the inroads they were making into the other two parties, that we finally got the referendum we'd been promised for years. Sad to see their demise. Keeping my fingers crossed for 29 March, but holding my breath.

I've always voted Tory mostly because they used to be pro forces, however, I am in a real quandry about how to show my utter contempt of the way MP's have handled this issue over the past few years. To not vote goes against everything I have been tought about the sacrifice others have made, to scrawl "Cnuts" all over the ballot paper whilst satisfying won't achieve anything and to actualy vote would appear to be a waste of time as it will just start another round of delay and provarications etc. Clearly the establishment won't let the UK leave so it all seems pretty pointless Unless i get any better ideas i have decided to take the next election day off, and sit in the house drinking single malt and watching "They shall not grow old" thanking those that went before and apologizing for what we have become.

All vote for an independent or at the very least a candidate with no political “baggage”.

At the last election I voted for the Tory candidate, not because he was the best candidate but because he was the least worse - a sad indictment on the standard of politicians we have in the UK. He's a two-faced, back-stabbing, disloyal run-of-the-mill-in-it-for-himself politician. Next election, I haven't a clue which party I may vote for. If there's a candidate going by the name of Noneoftheabove, that's where my vote is going.

Last edited:
I've always voted Tory mostly because they used to be pro forces, however, I am in a real quandry about how to show my utter contempt of the way MP's have handled this issue over the past few years.
Continue to live a life better than theirs.

That’s the best way I know of showing contempt for the fools.

To not vote goes against everything I have been tought about the sacrifice others have made, to scrawl "Cnuts" all over the ballot paper whilst satisfying won't achieve anything and to actualy vote would appear to be a waste of time as it will just start another round of delay and provarications etc.
Yes, well, on any vote I would love there to be a ‘None of the Above’ box, but until that happens, in this democracy, you only have two choices to object: withhold your vote or spoil your ballot paper.

It’s poor, but it’s what we’ve got.

That said, there are no elections or referendums in our immediate future, so this is all somewhat academic, no?

The people that want the self-styled ‘people’s referendum’ have a number of difficult hoops that have to be jumped through before it can happen, and a general election isn’t going to happen anytime soon, ‘cos of the turkeys/Christmas thing, so I wouldn’t get too concerned just yet.

Clearly the establishment won't let the UK leave so it all seems pretty pointless.
Highlighting concerns or objections is never pointless!

NB: that that does not include our Russian trolls.

Also, we are the establishment.

Of those that voted in the last referendum, while more voted to leave than voted remain, some took the result badly.

And some of those are actively trying to undermine or reverse the result.

Of those, some are in positions of power; in parliament even.

That doesn’t make them ‘the establishment’, it just makes them bitter.

To keep highlighting hypocrisy and humbug, particularly by those elected servants who pay lip-service to the term ‘democracy’, I would suggest is no bad thing.

And they only win if you let them win (glib, but true).

Unless i get any better ideas i have decided to take the next election day off, and sit in the house drinking single malt and watching "They shall not grow old" thanking those that went before and apologizing for what we have become.
There were social concerns and conflicts before, during and after then, but you’re right about raising a glass.

They didn’t get the option of saying yea or nay, voting or spoiling their ballot, and raising a glass of the best you can afford is no bad thing at any time.

That said, I wouldn’t apologise to the past for the intelligence-vacuum that is our current parliament.

I’m reminded of an interview where a young Robin Day asked a question that the PM Harold Wilson didn’t like and was told ‘not to be so impertinent’.

Can you imagine that occurring now?

Elected MPs (sorry, ‘legislators’) are still ****’s, who start as humans desiring to help, but soon become creatures of politics where ‘economic with the truth’ becomes normality and where evasiveness, selected facts, tribalism and one-upmanship becomes the desired outcome.

That said, it’s still better than what came before, and so long as we (the people, the media and other non-governmental institutions) are able to function relatively unhindered, I’d say we are in a good place.

I don’t know about tomorrow, but today is okay.

I think things had been so comfortably settled on QT for the liberal-left that it has come as something of a shock when the tables are turned. Suddenly, there is a cry of 'foul'.

I doubt whether this particular QT is going to be representative of how things will be in the future. All that has really happened is that there has been a change of presenter. Presumably the production team and editorial policy are much the same as before.