Question regarding security/counter terrorism check

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by W_annabeClerk, Dec 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right section of arrse to ask this (or even the correct forum at all), but I was wondering what could jeopardise getting SC or CTC clearance?

Specifically, would spending a fortnight in the Middle East (the "Axis of Evil" - Syria, no less) as a civilian be regarded as potentially dangerous?

I suspect this may be a stupid question but if anyone can shed any light I'd be grateful.

2. For a SC or DV check (never heard of CTC clearance), nothing will stop you being cleared as long as you are honest about it. Unless of course it is something completely outrageous like having a previous conviction for breaching the official secrets act etc.

They will want to see bank statements, marriage certificate, passport and all manner of other things, but as long as you are up front you should be ok.

3. Thanks for the reply. That sounds good to me.

As far as I can remember, the SC AND the CTC are completed on the same (grey) form.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a dearth of information available on them on the internet.

4. In the MoD, each case is judged objectively on its merits. I'm sure you have a valid explanation for being there.

Also depends which part of government you are applying for BC / CTC with. Some local law enforcement agencies can be more **** than parts of central government.

Here is the Department of Transport CTC FAQ page which might give you some general idea of how / Why CTC is done.

If you are applying to the armed services have a lookat the DVA Vetting FAQ pages your answer might be in there?

Fill the form out you have nothing to loose.

5. As stated above, honesty is the key to all vetting - if you omit something that is even trivial, you'll be for the high jump; conversely, you'd be suprised at what some people declare on their forms, but because the were honest, they are fine.

Basically, a 2 week holiday there will do you no harm, but make sure you declare it if it asks you to do so. On the other hand, if you were there for a 2 week terrorist training camp, you'll most likely be knackered! 8O

Especially for a CTC, there is very little that goes into it, so unless you were there learning how to make bombs with Osamas mates, you will most likely be fine.