Question regarding pension if i transfer from RAF to Army

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by monkfish 01, Mar 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening everyone,

I have a question regarding my AFPS 75 pension.

I am a REME SSgt with 13.5 years service. I am currently looking at transferring to the RAF as an Officer and am confused and concerned about the changes to my pension.

As I understand it, when transferring from the Army to RAF I effectivly terminate army service and immediately re-enlist in the RAF. However according to the MOD website it is not seen as a break in service.

My question is, what will happen with my pension???

1. Will I remain on AFPS 75 and continue to build on that pension?

2. Will I transfer to AFPS 05, and if so will i be able to aggregate my AFPS 75 years towards it.

3. How many years would i need to serve n the RAF before i was entitled to a full immediate pension.

I have looked into some of the information on AFPS 75 and i have seen that under the section entitled 'Re-enployment in the Armed Forces' It states

"If you rejoin the regular armed forces with less than 1 calender months break in service, you can opt to either remain in AFPS 75 or join AFPS 05. If the break in service is longer than one calander month, then you will automatically join AFPS 05"

Is this still the case and would Ii therefore continue with my AFPS 75 scheme??

I am therefore hoping that someone here is able to help clarify this for me.

Thanks in advanced
  2. monkfish 01,

Try the Forces Pension Society.

3. Shiny,

I am already thinking of contacting them tomorrow. Hopefully they will be more help than SPVA were on the phone who told me the only way they could answer my question was if i wrote to them. Probably take about 6 months to hear back from them ha ha
  4. I haven't read the later posts but I can confirm that a rule was preserved which meant that people in your position who had chosen to stay on AFPS 75 would be protected. You will remain in AFPS 75 as long as the gap in service is no longer than 30 days.

Your officer service will count for any service after your 21st birthday but, if you leave before your commissioned commitment is over, your immediate pension (from the 16yr point) will be at the PVR rate.

If you need more help, join the Forces Pension Society (IIS7) and we will do our best for you.