Question regarding haircuts as a recruit.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Paully123, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering if you still have to get your head shaved to the bone as a recruit? (infantry)

Bit of a stupid and silly question I know becasue most people wouldnt think twice about shaving their heads but the reason I ask is that I have a bit of a lump on the top of my head which Ive had since birth. Just the way the skull formed I guess.

You wouldnt be able to tell looking at me as my hair hides it. I dont have long hair just normal short to medium length. But, the thought of having it all shaved off is not a nice one because everyone would be able to see it!!!! :oops:

I normally have a number 3 on the back and sides with it fairly short on top (about 1 inch I guess) but does anyone know if you can be excused the REALLY short cut?

OK you can stop laughing now! :D

2. needs to be a number 2

3. Listen in John Merrick........you all get shaved. It's not a number one if I recall, more like a number 2.

You'll have more important things to worry about in training than your malformed shwede.

4. This may have changed but when I was there (2003) our Joining Instructions said that there were to be NO shaved heads, short back and sides and a little on top was all that was allowed, within the first week we all had shaved heads as thats all the barber would do. Most of us had our hair cut as the JIs requested a few days before going, then still had to get the shaved head thus paying for 2 haircuts in 2 weeks.

So if its not changed, get used to being questioned about your growth and whether or not it snores at night.

W-60

5. Have it no shorter than a 4 back and sides and a 5 on top; you won't be able to see the scalp. If it needs to be any shorter they'll cut it for you, people will take the piss for a few days, they'll invent a nickname for you then they'll get over it and you'll be part of the team.

The nickname will follow you for your entire career though. Until you earn another one.

6. If training the same as it was when I went through you get marched down to barbers sometime in week one and get given a number 2 for which 15 notes (in 1995) was taken directly from your pay. ( you got a further 3 haircuts included at varying stages in the rest of the 10 weeks).

Just say you converted to a Sikh or Muslim the day before your training starts then you can have it as long as you like.

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Don't worry about it...first week we were all marched down the barbers and forces to pay £5 for a short back and sides, no matter what your hair looked like....took the barber all of 30 seconds to wave a pair of scissors over my head and ask for the money.

S_R

8. I don't recall having to pay.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Smudge leave him alone, it's obviously a rellative, why dont you just put up with what the baggy green machine asks you to do ffs. When I joined there was ladswith knock knees you could see in denims, they looked like they had rickets, still ran like loons for the cft!

10. They probably took it direct from your wages, along with the tele fund (not that I ever saw tele except in Sands) your corps tracksuit and various other bits and pieces. No need to worry the recruit just how much he getting tanked.

11. Possibly? Although we did have to chip in towards the TV license. I wonder how much the DS made a year off that scam!

12. My word Smudge, your compassion knows no bounds (but did make me laugh so cheers :D ).

Paully - the reaction of Smudge typifies that which awaits you - don't get bothered by it, it is part of life in green and I'm sure you will in all likelihood experience more character building situations than coping with a slightly oddly shaped noggin. Anyway learn to love your mal-formed cranium and if all else fails there are new branches of Ripleys opening all the time.

13. Haha lol, I was expecting some of these replies, and no I am not that bloke from the goonies! :mrgreen: Actually, I am quite handsome, all things considered :D

Cheers for the serious replies!

Damn me and my lump on my head!! :evil:

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dont worry the spider will compensate for that. They still do have spiders dont they?

15. so i guess a mohawk is out the question then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.