Question regarding drill - one for the Guardsmen?

On the furthest corner of our depot drill square, was a plinth, topped by a uniformed 1st world war soldier, affectionately known as “Mr Smith”.
The drill sergeant, on spotting my idleness would march across and begin whispering in my ear.
“When I say go, I want you to double over to Mr Smith, weapon at the high port, and inform him that I would like him to tell you, (voice rising to a crescendo) to stop wasting my fucking time!”

I’m beginning to wonder if all that bending of the knee is the cause for my arthritis in the left knee:-?
I can see it now.
Have you got a bad knee? Did you suffer needles bending the knee, thigh parallel to the ground and driving in the heel? Thousands like you are suffering, don’t suffer in silence. Give us a call, now!
More likely to be this lot on your back with a spare A41 battery and an 81mm mortar round on top

A similar discussion took place on faceache the other day with clips from TToTC over the last 100 years and there was a difference in drill with low swinging arms up to the second unpleasantness.

Will try and find the clip and add it.

ETA here is the clip

1939 according to Pathe News

Not quite the 'bend the knee' but it got worse after that! :soldier:

If you really want to see shoite drill just look up the supposed legend RSM Britton. He would never have been passed off the square with that standard of crappiness.
Great to see that the army was concentrating on the important things in 1939. I suppose its that great army leadership that we keep hearing about!!

Found this short video clip of the Guards on sentry duty at Windsor Castle about 100 years ago. What struck me was how slack the drill was back then and how casual the troops were on duty. So when did all the bending of the knee and halting and turning on the march and standing still as we know it first start?

I'm just a civvy so what would I know but my guess, sometime between 1942, so likely after WW2 ended, and 1954.

I have no idea for sure, but base it upon seeing a squad of soldiers marching pre-war style in the 1942 film Went the Day Well and the sergeant stomping around the room in which the courts marshal is being held in the 1954 film Carrington VC. In the latter film, one of the courts officers mutters something along the lines of blaming the Guards for all the new fangled stomping around.

Marching styles seem to evolve but let's just hope the Guards don't get any ideas of trying to better this at Buck House:

I've seen some older footage and even that had evolved from some straight forward marching to the flowery over the top ballet that it is now.

A similar discussion took place on faceache the other day with clips from TToTC over the last 100 years and there was a difference in drill with low swinging arms up to the second unpleasantness.

Will try and find the clip and add it.

ETA here is the clip

Bring back the packs and ammo pouches to wear on trooping the colour and guard duties. Looks the biz.

I've always thought the current marching style is a bit awkward, especially since it rucks up the jackets (or blouses or whatever the term is) when wearing belts.

Mind you we have escaped the worst of it, British foot drill in the Indian Army has evolved in a much more alarming manner.
Arms shoulder high...not good enough and... on your heels seems to be morphing into a goosestep. I won't even start on Wagah. The drill pig should eaten before parade from the looks of it.

It goes to even stupider heights on the border with Pakistan where each army seems to try & outdo each other in the silly march & headdress competition, even having blokes as cheerleaders, stirring the watching crowds up.

My theory is that all the stamping and driving your boot into the ground came off the back of some penny pincher introducing Boots DMS instead of studded ammo boots, and drill pigs up and down the land being upset at the lack of nice crisp Tippetty tapping sounds after giving an order

I have no idea for sure, but base it upon seeing a squad of soldiers marching pre-war style in the 1942 film Went the Day Well and the sergeant stomping around the room in which the courts marshal is being held in the 1954 film Carrington VC. In the latter film, one of the courts officers mutters something along the lines of blaming the Guards for all the new fangled stomping around.
Yes,
I would go for the early fifties, which Carrington VC (1954) seems to confirm.

The president of the court martial takes exception to the foot-stamping of the Gunner Sgt CM usher,
tells him to kindly refrain then turns to a fellow member of the panel and says;

"It's Quite possible to be smart without all that stamping.
A barbaric habit introduced in quite recent times by Her Majesty's Foot Guards"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes,
I would go for the early fifties, which Carrington VC (1954) seems to confirm.

The president of the court martial takes exception to the foot-stamping of the Gunner Sgt CM usher,
tells him to kindly refrain then turns to a fellow member of the panel and says;

"It's Quite possible to be smart without all that stamping.
A barbaric habit introduced in quite recent times by Her Majesty's Foot Guards"
Good film and Niven playing a stormer. He was guilty though, regardless of any phone call.

I'm just a civvy so what would I know but my guess, sometime between 1942, so likely after WW2 ended, and 1954.

Marching styles seem to evolve but let's just hope the Guards don't get any ideas of trying to better this at Buck House:

I've seen some older footage and even that had evolved from some straight forward marching to the flowery over the top ballet that it is now.
Ministry of Silly Walks walts....

All this screaming and foot stamping? I never ever got the point to why anyone ever thought that was a good idea.

Light div= Stand ready....move to the (enter a direction) quick/double march. Upon arriving at said location (NAAFI before the other lot)...will halt facing (enter direction of choice) plt halt.

Job jobbed. Meanwhile, other mobs are still stepping off. Still, each to their own.

I’d love to see trooping the colours done with Lt Div drill. It would only be half as long, twice the fun and fookin amazing. I’ll bet it would even make Lizzy smile.
I’ll have a word with the MOD and ask them to reform the RGJ, don’t hold your breath.

Mind you we have escaped the worst of it, British foot drill in the Indian Army has evolved in a much more alarming manner.
Arms shoulder high...not good enough and... on your heels seems to be morphing into a goosestep. I won't even start on Wagah. The drill pig should eaten before parade from the looks of it.
WTFITAA?

CFB
Take an orange.

I’m beginning to wonder if all that bending of the knee is the cause for my arthritis in the left knee:-?
I can see it now.
Have you got a bad knee? Did you suffer needles bending the knee, thigh parallel to the ground and driving in the heel? Thousands like you are suffering, don’t suffer in silence. Give us a call, now!
Had to laugh no. But Customs officers advance "in a purposeful manner" something I heard years ago, turned out it was a bit an amble. But standing around fcuked me ankles.:p. Does that count?

Latest Threads