Question regarding CRs

Discussion in 'Officers' started by stellawifebeater, Apr 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies for jumping on your forum but I would like some advice from the grown ups.

Situation: I'm an A\SGT and I received my CR today (yes today) written as a full screw. I have been RTU'd twice due to injury on my SNCO CLM.

The problem is my boss has concentrated my whole report on this matter even as far as to say on my report. He has been RTU'd twice but by all accounts on his second attempt he was going to fail anyway.

My question is is he actually allowed to write that?

Your thoughts please.

2. in a word:

3. Thanks for the informative reply.

Sorry I didn't mention that the person concerned didn't even know what my responsibilities are within the unit and they have been my boss for more than 4 months.
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Sadly, everyone is only as good as the ability of person writing their CR. The quality of CR writing can be abysmal [I have sat on many promotion boards, BTW].

Be grateful .. the RN CR used to allow the 1st RO about 5 sentences to sum up an individual.

The Army used to have a "redress system" ... I know that because I inflamed a WO2 by describing him as Average. :wink:

However, from my experience [albeit in a different Service in different times] the subsequent reporting chain can paint a very different picture.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You can redress, but only matters of fact, not opinion. If you being RTUd twice is fact, then you are unlikely to get it changed.

If he has not stated your responsibilities correctly, then it is a factual error and you should be able to get it changed.

For all issues, go in ith a problem and proposed solution - "please delete "jack" and replace with "relaxed attitude to work"" as an example.

You are no doubt aware that CR speak is a language all of it's own. Only you will know if your RTUs were 100% genuine injury driven. He may have his own opinions on the matter, hence the repeated references in your CR.

6. Cheers Duke but it is not repeated it is the ONLY thing in my CR after the first paragraph of two lines stating part of my job.
  7. If you want to look into a redress, request JSP831, Redress of Individual Grievances, however as stated above, facts are what count. However I feel you would do better to talk to the 1st RO and explain your situation. Did anyone discuss your position at the 6 month point?
  8. 1st question no.

As it stands at the minute WhiteHorse I tried your first approach but as my report was only written on Wednesday and I seen it today. 6 monthly was written by a different OC which was a good six monthly. Bearing in mind Corporals CR' s are due at MCM by the 31 March as I am sure you are aware.

As for trying to explain the position today The 1st RO's answer was I haven't got the time.

I am not disputing the fact that I fcuked up my CLM due to injury but am more annoyed that my 1st RO has not taken my other work into consideration when reporting on me.
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You should still be able to discuss the issue of missing content - the "performance" should be covering the whole of your responsibilities, not just CLM.

If he will not make time, I would suggest a chat with another officer or SNCO you trust, and who the 1 RO is likely to listen to. He may be ale to point out to the 1 RO that there is a problem looming. As with all of these things, it is better dealt with by discussion and agreement than by confrontation via redress.

Has the 2RO seen it yet? I have not seen many 2ROs who would put their name to a CR that is as far out of line as you describe yours to be.
  10. Completley agree with what you say reference the missing performance and the person has agreed to add the missing points because he said he wasn't aware of them! however I work in a strange environment in so far as I didn't even know I had a new OC until about 2 months after he had arrived and I have only seen my 2 RO 3 times in the 18 months.
  11. blue-sophist

Good call ... I remember leaving a 1st RO interview and heading straight to my 2nd RO's office in a flaming rage [we had known each other for a couple of decades, which helped]. Sorted, apparently. :wink:

We have to remember that the "Chain" of ROs is designed to filter out the sh1t inputs ... if SWB's ACR had hit my desk with that lack of meaningful substance, the 1st RO would have been sent away to re-start the whole process.

[edit ... having just seen the previous, I might suggest talking to your 2nd RO asap ... nicely, of course :wink: ]
  12. Bearing in mind last year the 2 RO was full of praises about my performance. The only thing that has changed is that I was RTU'd from a course through injury.
  13. blue-sophist

... in which case your 1st RO hasn't mastered the art of writing CRs yet.

See above .. talk to those who matter, not the man who has already written. He won't re-write because you say something ...

FFS, I was once shown [and the guy who did it was a prat, but "thank you, Tim] my completed ACR.
    My 1st RO was a notorious hard marker. The 2nd RO upped everything [and I mean everything] by one box. Then the 1-star upped a couple of others as well!!
    Sorted ... promoted. :clap:

The system has a chain .. believe in it or not, it actually works. But, if you really feel you've been shafted, go to the next in the chain and express your "concerns" clearly and unemotionally.
  14. Sorry Blue but this is my completed CR and as I have said the only thing that has changed is the fact that I have been RTU'd from a course. My day to day performance and work has not changed.

As I said before he didn't know about my other responsibilities. I'm not being funny but what RO doesn't know what their soldiers do?