Question re training areas in Colchester and hills.

Hello,

I am rejoining the TA (ducks from incoming torrent of abuse) and have started my fitness training. Can anyone recommend a nasty bastard hill in the Colchester area where I can run endlessly up and down a hill?

The easy reply is that there are virtually none!

If you wish to keep your anonimity and train on the military training area ( size of a tablemat) there is a metalled track near Berechurch road. This leads to a very small saddle approx 150m long. This feature is okay for hillreps etc but not too awe inspiring for a long hard tab.

The main civilian carriageway into Colchester has a fairly steep incline but it's fairly busy with civilian, squaddie hating dross whom in all honesty would probably abuse you if you were in rig and a bergen.

Colchester and it's environs are not renouned for their Peny- Fan type hills.

They are however, renouned for Nova driving, chav-tastic, single chromosome, gobby f*ckwits who get all tearfull when you stick a screwdriver into their pit bulls.

Geordie_Blerk said:
They are however, renouned for Nova driving, chav-tastic, single chromosome, gobby f*ckwits who get all tearfull when you stick a screwdriver into their pit bulls.
And that's just the Paras :D

Thre's a couple of "slopes in and around a place called Friday woods...

There's a vally that runs through it and I did notice some inclines when i last did an Orienteering event there....

Apart from that, try a place a few miles down the A12 called Little Baddow/Danbury and Lingwood Common and the Heather Hills.... Again not long but VERY steep in places.

Let me know if you find anything? I Live in Essex, doing P-coy and need all the help i can get!

Good Luck

PM me if you want grids/routes etc........

can any paras or paras undergoing training right now tell me about their selection and training and what level of fitness i should come to

is the insight course any good aswell cos im thinking of doing that!

dont matter how fit you are when you turn up on day 1 you will still be blowing out your hoop :lol:

but seriously get yourself a training partner who can take you out your comfort zone, as 2 many joes jack as they have never experienced training outside there comfort zone