Question on the Short Belfast C.1

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Brick, May 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening folks, hopefully someone around here can help with or point me in the right direction for a question I have. I've been trying to find out what the payload was for the Short Belfast, she of "Captain and crew all well, no sign of scurvy as yet" fame :), when it first turned up but I'm having some trouble finding anything definitive. A lot of the Internet pages, as well as the couple of books I've been able to consult so far, seem to give quite varying figures. Know I might have better luck over on PPRuNe or E-Goat but alas I don't have an account with our crustacean brethren and quite frankly it's too late and I've had too much to drink to be arsed to start registering new ones at this time of night. Any help that can be given gratefully appreciated.

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Flew into Thessaloniki on an AMF(L) exercise in a Belfast with a Bedford RL 4 ton and, iirc, 2 Landrovers, plus 30 or so pax. Thought we were the Bee's Knees. We were followed in by a C5 Galaxy. I thought it was going to lift its wing and piss on us.......

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ex 'Alexander Express?' 1973/4?

5. Yeah they seemed like the most obvious answer, but when as I said other people were giving wildly different answers figured I'd double check. Some pages were even talking about it being able to carry Chieftain tanks when IIRC they were much heavier than what even HLC are saying, so wasn't sure if this was a stripped down of everything not welded down and even then possibly a few of them Chieftain tank so they could say it was possible or people were simply talking out of their arses.

6. Not quite. Can't remember the name exactly - it might have been Hellenic Express - but it was September 1971.

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Well it might be possible, if you removed the tracks, the gun, the turret, the engine and carried an empty hull devoid of everything.

8. We deployed on a squadron ex to Cyprus in 72 in two Hercs, for 2 Scout and 2 Sioux.
    On return we came back with 2 Scout and 2 Sioux in one Belfast, I was told first time ever done.
    The bulk of the unit flew VC 10.

john

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wiki's yer man

The Belfast was developed to meet Royal Air Force operational requirement (ASR.371), which proposed a freighter capable of carrying a wide range of military loads over long ranges. The military loads envisaged included artillery, more than 200 troops, helicopters, and guided missiles. Shorts' design was based on company studies from the late 1950s, and the project started as the SC.5/10 in February 1959. The prototype Belfast first flew on 5 January 1964, crewed by chief test pilot Denis Tayler, 2nd pilot Peter Lowe, engineer Malcolm Wild (engineer), flight engineer Ricky Steel, and radioman Bill Mortimer. Two flight observers, Alex Mackenzie and Gil Thomas, were also aboard.[3]

The Belfast used a high wing carrying four Rolls-Royce Tyne turboprop engines. The cargo deck, 64 ft long (20 m) in a circular-section pressurized fuselage over 18 ft in diameter (5.5 m) (roomy enough for two single-deck buses), was reached through a "beaver tail" with rear loading doors and integral ramp. The main undercarriage was two 8-wheel bogies and a 2-wheel nose. The Belfast was capable of a maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of over 220,500 lb (100 tonnes) - less than the contemporaneous 250-tonne Antonov An-22 and the 128-tonne Douglas C-133 Cargomaster, but more than the Lockheed C-130 Hercules. It could carry 150 troops with full equipment, or a Chieftain tank or two Westland Wessex helicopters or six Westland Scout helicopters.

10. No disrespect but I can assure you that 'Space/Volume' wise two Sioux and Two Scouts took up almost all the available space.
    Weight wise Six Scouts would be No Problemo.

john

11. From what I recall it wasn't very reliable and bits kept falling off it. I recall flying back from XXXXXXX when the rear door would not close properly so the plane could not be pressurised. We had to keep below 10 000 feet or so. In the end it got so cold we had to divert south to find warm air. Then the crew declared the aircraft not fit to fly and we flew back in a VC10 like gentlemen.

I spent a long time on Akrotiri just after the invasion and think that a fair proportion of Belfasts coming through Akrotiri spent time on the ground whilst spare bits were flown out from the UK. The guys in the mess reckoned that spares were always a problem and the engines tended to break a lot.

12. I remember 4 Scouts going to Aldergrove from Gutersloh in 1975. Three on the deck with the fourth tail in and partially on the ramp. Lots of groaning noises when the load master tried to lower the ramp with the tail of the last aircraft still lashed down to the main deck. Groaning from the aircraft that is not the watching troops.

Oops sorry!!!!!