Question on law: Nemo debet prodere se ipsum

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by sanchauk, Dec 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I've got a general question on the law concerning self-implication. I recently had a questionaire to fill in at work, last question was the do you know of anything etc etc that breaks the code of conduct. To inject a little humour I replied "Nemo debet prodere se ipsum". I wish I hadn't as it created a flurry of emails from yank 'attorneys'. I , of course, played the game and revised my answer to 'no'. Which was an honest and truthful answer.

One email contained the message:

"There is no provision under U.S. or UK law that allows you to invoke the "privilege against self-incrimination" to refuse to answer a request made by your employer. XXXXXXX has a policy entitled "Cooperation with Internal Investigations" that requires you to cooperate. This policy can be found on the XXXXXXX under Ethics and Legal Compliance - Policies. Failure to comply with aXXXXXXXXX policy is grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment."

Now I can understand that if an individual doesn't want to co-operate with an internal enquiry then he may be subject to disciplinary action resulting from breach of policies which an employee has agreed to observe, however, I am not sure that the the highlighted section is legally correct.

Could any Lawyers out there advise on the letter of the law?
  2. Think you may have posted this in the wrong forum fella.
  3. Do the ALS not lurk on the professionally qualified?

Edit..a post on the law section might help..... 8O Doh
  4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Sillyus sodus.
  5. Erm... in a word NO (not the PQO, RAMC and QARANC).
  6. Army lawyers aren't PQOs? When did that change then?

Edit....right I'm having a blond day. PQ medical officers lurk here....sorry. Delete this will you MOD?