Question on jobs within the Infantry.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Half_viking, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have applied to join the Army, more specifically the Int corps as a linguist. I was recogmended this as i am multi lingual and have a few a-levels to suit. The thing is i have talked to a few Int corps bods, and their life just dosent seem to fit into the grand scheme of what i find interesting.

I was wondering if there is a job within the infantry where you can work as a linguist or translator, but still do Infantry work, which is what i enjoy the most.

Half_viking.

2. If you haven't actually entered service yet, why do you assume infantry is what you enjoy the most? :?

3. I have done 1 years national service with the Finnish Defence Forces, where i was a member of a rifle platoon in the Finnish Marines.
    Being a dual national i had to do my national service, but i have a waiver saying i do not have reserve status.

Half_viking

4. bi-lingual eh??

Join the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

English and 'Jockanese' required

Red

5. Ah! That explains it quite nicely.

I take it Russian is one of your additional languages? If so then the intel weenies would probably salavate to have you aboard. However, this decision is not something you should haphazardly make. Take a bit of time and list out the pros and cons of each option and exactly what you want out of the experience. What are your plans following service for example?

6. Well i plan to make a career of the Army, hopefully! "with defence cut backs, who knows?" Dont know much russian, except feck off and 1 beer please. Major languages Swedish, Finnish and German. Though i am capable of learning others quickly! "though maybe not jackanese, that maybe considered a art form"
    Problem is my Recruiter is Int corps.... so he keeps on pushing me towards his Corps!

Half_viking

7. Hmm, can understand why the Army career's office wanted you to go to the Int Corps. Multi-lingual eh, brilliant well done half_viking. I know what I'd do if I was multi lingual tho, since I got out that is.

Can also understand why you want to join the Infantry too. It was once a slagged off profession, but not any more, its one of the much more saught after jobs in the Army of today.

Join the Infantry, it's what you want to do after all. There's many a different job you can do in the Infantry.

Good luck in whatever you do.

BT.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Join the Infantry and enjoy the soldiering. With your language skills you should be able to blag your way onto all sorts of trips!

When you have got it out of your system, need a new challenge, or your knees/ankles have given out you can consider transferring.

Duke

9. interesting to know that your recruiter is Int Corps as I know of no linguists being used as recruiters and I can't ever imagine an OPMI recommending anyone to join as a linguist!! PM me if youhave any more in-depth questions.

10. Aged 65+ speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Malay.....Degree with OU....(all fact)..trying to re-enlist...please give my details to your Int friends ...was with the OBLI before 1960!!!!!

11. It's what you want to do and not what someone else wants you to do - He can advise you but at the end of the day it's your choice!

PS 1 RIFLES soon to be in 3 Cdo Bde and should regulary deploy to Norway on exercise - not that I'm recruiting for the RIFLES (One Army!!)

12. I'm based in Germany and someone told me that if you pass an advanced German cse (or something along those lines) you get extra pay. Idea being you can act as translator from time to time i guess.
    I did an arabic cse and get a quid extra a day and 2 a day when on ops. Cheers easy!!
    Check it out when you eventually join, may be some extra wonga in it

13. All Infanteers must serve as a rifleman for a period of time after completing ITC (C), however once that is complete there is limited opportunities within an Inf Bn to work as a linguist. Normally you would only really get an opportunity to do this on Ops where you could be utilised as a translator for anyone in the Bn (provided your multilingual skills are compatable with the theatre in which you are deploying).

Otherwise it's climb up the greasy career ladder and request an attachment/posting to a role where your skills can be better utilised.

F