Question- Lt Gen and Gen

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Radical_Dreamer, Jan 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Edit it then. That's the pointof the wiki ;)

msr

2. Sorry! Not too sure how to wiki-whacky this stuff. Thought there was a reason it was written that way, though :)

3. msr

msr LE

RD,

It's easy. Just create an account on the wiki site (preferably the same as the one you use on this site, as the two are not linked) and make the changes you see fit. The changes are tracked and can be rolled back if necessary.

Fill yer boots!

msr

4. A Four-star General would command an Army Group (this is a formation like so many others e.g. Platoon, Brigade, Division). In the event that a commander is in charge of a number of Army Groups or Armies, he would be a Five-star General , which is referred to by UK personnel as a Field Marshall.

Do not edit the wiki to say there is no such thing as you never know when this rank may be required again; I also believe we have several honorary Field Marshalls serving anyway...

5. msr

msr LE

Hellfyyr,

If you actually bothered to read the wiki before you shot your gob off, you would find that it says there are no Field Marshalls.

Perhaps you should go and edit the wiki if you are not happy with its contents.

msr

6. Shooting my gob off am I? MSR where is the crime in simply explaining the basis behind Field Marshal...

Since they never retire, I suppose this individual is not one of the thirteen or so we have:

Field Marshal Sir Peter Inge

I was simply answering a query, no need for you to be a c o c k about it was there; nor do I have to edit every wiki I know anything about!

7. A few points, not sure though.

1) Formations are a classification made up of Brigades, Divisions, Corps, Armies and Army Groups, and are commanded by a GOC. Not Platoons and Companies etc as they are units and have a CO.

2) I was always informed that Brigadiers were supposed to command Brigades, Major Generals Divisions, Lt Generals Corps, and that Generals commanded Armies, with Field Marshals commanding army groups or theatres. It can obviously vary, but the basic command for a General is the Army. An example would be Monty and the 21st Army Group, or Eisenhower commanding the SHAEF.

Please feel free to add this to the Wiki msr or anyone else, I won't in case im wrong.

Rab

8. The basic structure looks correct to me. I recall the French simplify it somewhat by referring to their Generals (of whatever grade) according to the formation they commanded - happy to be proven wrong on that one :D

On the issue of Field Marshals, the fact remains that the rank exists. It has not been removed nor as far as I understand will it - it has merely been suspended as a consequence of the military cuts in the early 90s. Makes a fair amount of sense from a bean counter perspective since it takes a high-ranking officer off the payroll (don't believe an FM can be sacked) and with an army of @100,000 we don't really have enough gravitas to support its usage.

Those persons that retain the rank appear to do so from a honorific (sic) perspective e.g. Phil the Greek or as a consequence of having served 40 odd years and finishing at the top of the tree pre 1990-something.

lancslad

9. Same with MRAF or Admiral of the Fleet, it seems to be a post you get promoted to upon retirement.

Oh, and the froggies seem to do it like "General de Brigade" or "General de Division" etc.

10. always wondered why a Lt Gen has the insignia of a Majors crown & crossed swords & a Maj Gen has a LT's pip & crossed swords.
    would it not be more logical to be the other way around?
    & whos more senior, am I right in thinking that a Lt Gen's more seniour to a Maj Gen?

11. Easy one this! Maj Gen is derived from Sgt Maj Gen, therefore junior to Lt Gen.

12. Your last assertion is right. Major General is a contraction of Sergeant Major General and therefore junior to a Lieutenant General.

Joe only got there first because he used abbreviations, dammit!

13. Bizarely Major General is short for Sargeant-Major General and is therefore junior to a Lieutenant General. Not that it was every called a Sgt Maj General in British service. I think it was something we copied off the Swedes in the 17th century. (or possibly the Dutch).

14. Do the three of us have nothing better to do at 11.20 at night?