Question in regards to Tax Free Sales

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by immortalady, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just want to find out a few things, ive tried reading through various bits of paperwork to find my answer, ive read standing orders and all other bits on BFG for vehicles but either im trying to hard to find the answer or im just pure monging it i would like some advice.

I am thinking of buying a vehicle tax free while im based in Germany, however im wanting to buy it for my girlfriend to use in the UK, when it goes to the UK it would still be registered to me and i have no intention of selling it at any point. What are the rules that givern this?

I understand i would have to export it first to BFG, go through the full BFG process but is their a maximum time it needs to be BFG'd for before i can take it to the UK again? If it gets re-registered in the UK would i become liable to repay the tax even though i am still based in germany??

Thanks in advance to your answers, ive tried finding out for myself but im not too good at understanding the finer details with regards to vehicle rules and regs so if you can help it would be appreciated.

2. Welcome to the site - but what a strange first question!

I am not based in BFG and the rules have been considerably tightened since I was there, but what you are proposing would be against the regulations because it would amount to fraud, IMO.

If you search this site, you will find questions from people who have been short-toured in Germany and have had to pay the tax on return to the UK. So, I think the car has to be in BFG for 12 months, and if the car returns to the UK on a permanent basis before that time is up, tax is payable.

Your insurance company would probably also not play ball because it would be insuring you in Germany when your friend was using it in the UK. Insurance companies don't underwrite risks like that.

Litotes

3. Sounds like the answer i was expecting :eek:D

I figured it would be the full 12 months anyway but i do like to make sure, thanks for the answer.

4. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I'm in BFG and I'm sure it is 12 months (haven't bought a new car so not entirely certain), however I am friends with the lady in the BFG office so can ask her if you want.

5. If you are staying in BFG then you must keep the car for 12 months or take the hit from HMRC.

If you are posted to the UK then your posting order gives authority along with additional paperwork from the BFG VLO to import the car and you only have to have it for 7 days in BFG, then you can let whoever you want to drive it.

6. she wouldn't be entitled to drive a bfg car, even if she was on your insurance I believe.

I think its down to entitlement, ie you are, she isn't

Why not go for a deal in the UK, the prices are comparable to that of BFG now, and less hassle