Question from a Yank Staff Officer

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by IronTwoSix, Nov 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an assistant operations officer in an Stryker BN, I am interested in comparing and contrasting UK and US doctrine on various command and control subjects such as planning and orders production at the platoon, company and battalion levels. For example our Military Decision Making Process and Troop Leading Procedures vs. your 7 questions methods. Trouble is I cant seem to find any written UK doctrine, so far just some clues from the ARRSEpedia E-Nirex file. Any help regarding these topics would be appreciated feel free to PM or I can provide a us.army.mil email adress.

2. Where are you? Go through the local British Liaison officer - hopefully no-one will be daft enough to forward any Restricted or above material to you, whatever address you offer!

3. We have written doctrine??? Are those the books I keep using as weight in my bergan for pt?

4. Right, let me rephrase, any unclassified help would be appreciated. Not familiar with the "Restricted" classification, all our material on the subject is at best "Unclassified/For Official Use Only." Apologies, for not making that more clear and thanks for the heads up.

5. Virtually nothing is UNCLAS these days; all pams etc are restricted. The US doesn't have an equivalent for restricted as far as I'm aware, but it's one down from Confidential.

6. Damned_Colonial has, probably unwittingly, provided you with a deal of conclusive material in his short post. Any study of British military doctrine (at any level) should properly conclude that although the British Army andoubtably has some of the best published 'doctrine' in the world, its Officers rarely use it deliberately (and only occasionally by accident), prefering to make it up as they go along instead. In many ways it is this illusive approach to military dogma that enables the British Army to be as great as it is. Remember that the principle of mission command (or whatever the children are calling it these days) is to prescribe what to do and why, not what to do and how. Doctrine is a device used centrally to provide support to assumptions and spending briefs. In sum, we cuff it and do very well as a consequence.

7. MDMP and 7qs have essentially the same components. We did a comparison of the two systems during a trip to Ft Leavenworth. Key differences MDMP has some superb checklists, that help alleviate some of the leadership decisions and your re-stated mission process seems a little odd to us . The booklet is a great checklist though when used with 7qs. Our system relies more heavily on commanders direction ( eg after q3 backbrief). But bottom line is they are both very similar, one slightly more mechanical and ours more intuitive ( I saw the word 'cuff' earlier. Any qS Pse pm me. Rgds

8. Dragstrip, very true not only in your army but ours as well which perhaps led to the following quote from the Soviets

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."

However, my thesis is that though we rarely ever follow doctrine to the letter (for good reason), what we are taught in out service schools does color our way of approaching a problem. While I would analyze a tactical situation using METT-TC (Mission, Enemy, Terrain, Troops available, Time, and Civilians on the battlefield), one trained in the UK school would tend to look at it in terms of the 7 questions. Very similar approach but subtle differences that could lead to different insights, hence the reason for this research.

Thank you all for the advice so far, seeing how this does seem to be dealing with sensitive information I will look up our Liaison. Any suggestions on what particular documents I should ask about?

9. Anything related to the Commander's Appreciation, Extraction of Orders and the Orders Group.

10. I have PM'd you for your AKO email and I will be in touch!

11. The majority of our joint and military doctrine publications are actually Unclassified. As usual ARSE security is ill-informed and a trifle overzealously applied!

uqfegd

pp

12. Have you tried talking to the nice people at ABCA?

13. I've recently seen bits about the 7 questions.

The previous model was a hell of a lot simpler. It seems like it is designed for slow tempo high level HQs. Way too long & complex for ops below Coy level.

IMHO it should be used for grand strategy & possibly Bn (or above) ops.