question from a new army mum about leave

Just back from a weekend camping so sorry for the radio silence. Thanks all - such really thoughtful and kind advice. Appreciate the bants. @Fang_Farrier - your ARRSE name, Christmas graduation - rang bells. Guessed you were a dentist. I'm a Bristol BDS! Looked at the Navy post graduation (am I allowed to say that on here?) but in the end stuck with general practice. @Effendi yep - graduand till graduated. He has actually graduated - the certificate got sent in the post last July. But he hasn't had a graduation ceremony yet. @PapaGolf completely agree. He is also aware that he may not get in, and he may if he gets in not succeed. But he is passionate about trying, so I wouldn't try to stop him. @Accidental_discharge Yes, I am a fitter army mum. I fit dental crowns, bridges and implants. If you would like a few pictures of them, I'm sure I can oblige :) . @Dwarf - we live in the Midlands, so reasonably easy to Pirbright or Catterick for travel. He's interested in the Lancers. I take @PapaGolf 's point entirely about costing lives and of course it is up to the recruitment officers to ensure he would be up to the job. Neither he nor I would want him to join if he was not 100% up to supporting his fellow soldiers and performing the role well. I am confident in his ability though (won't bore you with the details why). Thanks everyone for the advice.

Just back from a weekend camping so sorry for the radio silence. Thanks all - such really thoughtful and kind advice. Appreciate the bants. @Fang_Farrier - your ARRSE name, Christmas graduation - rang bells. Guessed you were a dentist. I'm a Bristol BDS! Looked at the Navy post graduation (am I allowed to say that on here?) but in the end stuck with general practice. @Effendi yep - graduand till graduated. He has actually graduated - the certificate got sent in the post last July. But he hasn't had a graduation ceremony yet. @PapaGolf completely agree. He is also aware that he may not get in, and he may if he gets in not succeed. But he is passionate about trying, so I wouldn't try to stop him. @Accidental_discharge Yes, I am a fitter army mum. I fit dental crowns, bridges and implants. If you would like a few pictures of them, I'm sure I can oblige :) . @Dwarf - we live in the Midlands, so reasonably easy to Pirbright or Catterick for travel. He's interested in the Lancers. I take @PapaGolf 's point entirely about costing lives and of course it is up to the recruitment officers to ensure he would be up to the job. Neither he nor I would want him to join if he was not 100% up to supporting his fellow soldiers and performing the role well. I am confident in his ability though (won't bore you with the details why). Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks for that, makes a refreshing change.

The amount of people we get pootling along and asking questions, or advice and then they simply vanish without a "ta very much".

I wish your son well, if he listens and pays attention to the training he will be alright, we are pretty good at what we do. Probably the best trained army in the world, and I've seen a few.

The amount of people we get pootling along and asking questions, or advice and then they simply vanish without a "ta very much".

I wish your son well, if he listens and pays attention to the training he will be alright, we are pretty good at what we do. Probably the best trained army in the world, and I've seen a few.
You're welcome. Was that a sideways Python Life of Brian allusion?

CC_TA

LE
There might be a chance he will get leave at the right time.

If graduation and weddings are that important then he could:
Delay joining until he has a chance to fulfil he busy social calendar.
Change the dates of the wedding and graduation to fit in with his leave.
Get the Ministry of Defence to rearrange selection, basic training, trade training and future postings so he can have some social fun.

Slime

LE

Don’t give away too much personal info :)
The dental world is pretty small.

OP, I think he should be looking at this nearer the time for the graduation ceremony if he determines to attend next year.
The reason I say that is because you/he can’t be sure where in the training cycle he will be. Getting a day off in the middle of an exercise is a no, the day before everyone goes on leave for a week, then it’s a maybe (perhaps).
If he is in training when the graduate ceremony dates are promulgated and it looks favourable, then all he can do is ask nicely.
If it’s a no-go, then, as stated above, it can be done later if it means that much.
Whatever happens, I wish him all the best in his future career.

It is a real bummer when that happens. And happen it does.

Look at the hugely positive response that really overweight bloke Steff got. And he just goes radio silent. (Maybe he croaked).

The only real thank you I can remember was that American officer who asked for all sorts of info to help him with his COIN M.Sc at Kings College. He not only had the manners to thank ARRSE in the foreword but offered the paper up to anyone who wanted it.

Dwarf

LE

Seconded. Thanks for the thanks.

Dwarf

LE
@Army Mum are you a fitter Army Mum? Any pictures? Asking for a friend.
Just for you.

1629061191274.png

Dwarf

LE
Thirded. Thanks for thanking her for thanking us.

All the best to your son @Army Mum
Fourthed. Thank you for thanking me for thanking...........................................................what the hell. Back to the home brew.

Fourthed. Thank you for thanking me for thanking...........................................................what the hell. Back to the home brew.

............home brew <sits up and pays attention like a meerkat>.

I'm cleaning out my man hovel, listening to Santana on the computer, with the occassional ARRSE break. I just found two 44 pattern water bottle pouches in good nick, a 58 pattern belt that seems to have shrunk since the last time it was worn, and a pair of shortened puttees in good nick.

Dwarf

LE
............home brew <sits up and pays attention like a meerkat>.

I'm cleaning out my man hovel, listening to Santana on the computer, with the occassional ARRSE break. I just found two 44 pattern water bottle pouches in good nick, a 58 pattern belt that seems to have shrunk since the last time it was worn, and a pair of shortened puttees in good nick.
Muntons Bitter. Can get it cheaply here.

Your belt has shrunk too? Must be a manufacuring fault with age. Shortened puttees? Must be mine, send them back immediately.

@Army Mum This is your son's future, be prepared.

Latest Threads