question from a new army mum about leave

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
While I was at an ATR one of the recruits was someone I knew through the biking side of life. We were both invited to a wedding which was part way through his training - but on a weekend. He was able to go as he asked his platoon staff with a bit of notice, he didn't ask or demand the moment he got there and he kept himself out of trouble in the mean time. The only stipulation was he wasn't to get into trouble, or get too drunk.

No handshake in Dundee, you get your head touched with a historic cap.

Much more hygienic.

So you studied at DDS? Great service down there, feel lucky to have access to it. Very professional and good to give the students some practice. The fact it's free dental care and rammed full of gorgeous medical students is neither here nor there, naturally

You said that your son is severely dyslexic, without wanting to sound harsh, the Army isn't university. While significant allowances are made in Universities to facilitate learning difficulties, as indeed they are in the military, the military can only bend so far.
Bottom line now, if he can't do what he needs to when he needs to because of his dyslexia, he could get people killed.
Be prepared for him to not get that far

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Two things.
What branch is he interested in? This is relevant to the above post 23.

Secondly, where do you live? This may affect his weekend plans. If he is Catterick and you live in Newcastle then no problems. However if you live in St Austell or Inverness and he is still in basic training then there may indeed be a problem. If he is through basic then as said he just applies for leave.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So you studied at DDS? Great service down there, feel lucky to have access to it. Very professional and good to give the students some practice. The fact it's free dental care and rammed full of gorgeous medical students is neither here nor there, naturally

Pedant mode on

The medical students will be out at ninewells studying medicine

Those at the DDH will be dental students

Q_Man

Old-Salt
My wife bought me a University of Greenwich sweatshirt for a bit of fun a few years after I graduated.

My mum took one look at it and stated “Why are you wearing that? You didn’t go to University!”

Thanks Mum.
Did you do one of the Sapper degrees? I did and fully admit all it does is collate my other civian and military qualifications and experience onto a single piece of paper that opens doors.

And I didn't attend my graduation, I had one flight back to the UK a year, I was in Brunei when I graduated, and chose to use that to come back with my family for my cousins wedding.

@Army Mum if your daughters wedding is on a Saturday, as long as your son is not on ops or exercise, he should be able to attend. If he is docked for a duty, even as a sprog, he should be able to swap. May have to add £20 as a sweetener.

Issi

LE
Did you do one of the Sapper degrees? I did and fully admit all it does is collate my other civian and military qualifications and experience onto a single piece of paper that opens doors.

And I didn't attend my graduation, I had one flight back to the UK a year, I was in Brunei when I graduated, and chose to use that to come back with my family for my cousins wedding.

@Army Mum if your daughters wedding is on a Saturday, as long as your son is not on ops or exercise, he should be able to attend. If he is docked for a duty, even as a sprog, he should be able to swap. May have to add £20 as a sweetener.
Hi,
No it was a ‘normal’ degree that I took after I left the mob.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Hi,
No it was a ‘normal’ degree that I took after I left the mob.
They are now aligned to the RSME and offer degrees to sappers of suitable backgrounds. Quite a few from around 2010 onwards have managed to get a degree by completing a few modules and a final project. Mine cost me £900 once I'd dipped my hand into every pot available.

Was not casting aspersions on that fine academic institution, but mine was a bit of a joke, the hard yakka had been done years before and they had the foresight to accredit the military quals and experience to reduce the workload.

It is a fair question. Before he finally decided to join up, he was desperately disappointed to have his graduation cancelled, as he has severe dyslexia and it was not certain he would even get to university, let alone graduate. You are quite right, he is far less bothered about it now than I am. In my defence, I am bothered on his behalf mostly. Although my daughters' graduations were wonderful events and I was incredibly proud of them, it is for him that I want the experience of the ceremony. He would like to go, but says his passing out parade would be far more important to him, so I am less upset if he misses it than I would have been.
Gently encourage him to attend, but don't insist. His priorities may well change, and all you can do is support that.

He can attend graduation at a later date. The Uni will be happy to fit him in.

PS. I never bothered with my BSc graduation. Lots of hanging around listening to pointless speeches given by a former labour MP, and a serving conservative MP, followed by a couple of university speeches. All the while having to sit on narrow wooden benches with no leg room and no ability to sneak out for a piddle, drink, or ciggy. It took nearly 4 hours. Meanwhile my gaggle of fellow students was in a local restaurant, followed by a pub celebrating in our own way having picked up our actual degree certificates in the morning, and not needing a limp sweaty handshake.

Same here, ten years earlier than you.

Couldn't give a shite about it. Load of boring old bollox and self-serving speeches in the presence of some (very) minor royal.

Went to the student bar (the Three Tuns!) instead and got a head start on the celebrations. Quite a few of my male fellow students did the same. All the wimmin went, mostly to please their mothers I think.

They sent me the degree in the post two weeks later. Nice piece of embossed card with crests and calligraphy on it - but the specifics printed by a line printer attached to a mainframe at the ULCC. Class.

Still, Laura Ashley, the gown hire company and the local milliners did a roaring trade.

Last edited:
Same here, ten years earlier than you.

Couldn't give a shite about it. Load of boring old bollox and self-serving speeches in the presence of some (very) minor royal.

Went to the student bar (the Three Tuns!) instead and got a head start on the celebrations. Quite a few of my male fellow students did the same. All the wimmin went, mostly to please their mothers I think.

They sent me the degree in the post two weeks later. Nice piece of embossed card with crests and calligraphy on it - but the specifics printed by a line printer attached to a mainframe at the ULCC. Class.

Still, Laura Ashley, the gown hire company and the local milliners did a roaring trade.

I think most of it is to fulfill the expectations of family and let them feel chuffed about the entire affair. Mum and dad proudly shaking hands with people who you have no time for, would rather forget, and firmly stick away in the mental carboard box marked old news.

Last edited:

Latest Threads