Question for those joining or wanting to join the Army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mag_to_grid, Sep 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just left the army myself and having served as a depot instructor in my last posting and listened to what some of the recruits expectations of what they thought the field army was going to be like, just want to ask the people who fall into this category do they realise that the Army is more than just a job and they are pretty much guarenteed to go out to either of the two sand pits and be expected to fight to the death if need be? A lot lies on the shoulders of young men these days and it isn't like the old days when you could expect to be going on adventure training one week then an exercise to salisbury plain the next.

2. Im joining the REME as a Blackie, got selection on wednesday this week. Im fully aware that i could end up in the mid east, and quite prepared to go, though id be happier not going. I know its not just a job, but they're going to train me to fix helicopters, then pay me to do it! Can't beat it. :p

I know what you mean, though, almost everyone i know is completely unwilling to do any form of fighting, in which they could be hurt themselves.

3. Possible STAB here.

Yup I fully realise that a deployment with duff kit to a sandpit is a highly likley senario, and I'm fine with that. The thing that scared the crap out of me (and has never been even touched upon) was the apperance of lack of care for the wounded, and the PTSD.

I know a few freinds who've suffered from PTSD, and I know how the MOD seemed to treat them. That was the biggest worry I had.

4. Is it really you Mr Kipling? After all these years?