Question for the Yeomanry types...

Do your lot take Mess Silver into the field and have drinks before the O Group?

Heard this twice from people who I have no reason to doubt...

Drinking alcohol is not allowed at any time here. Mind you, this is an oil company project not military. Anyway there is a bottle of good malt in my fridge. Management perk dontchaknow.

Likewise, the South Notts Hussars were reputed (c. 1989) to set up the big tent with all the silver at the drop of a hat - well, the toms did the setting up, I bet, and the officers did the entertaining bit...

The regular unit i was in used to have a 4tonner set aside as the officers mess truck which did contain mess siverware for using each night at RHQ, my parent yeomanry unit hasnt,well as faras I can vouch the Sqn doesnt.

yes, we have an "o-box" which was made for that purpose (carrying glasses, gin and champagne) but it doesn't happen as often now.

Very rarely since 2003.

Although i do remember one weekend where we were fighting through Imber village(?) and RHQ set up the silverware to one side and had the regtl band playing.

CO's comment 'everywhere i go that bl00dy band follows me!'

Bravo_Bravo said:
Do your lot take Mess Silver into the field and have drinks before the O Group?

Heard this twice from people who I have no reason to doubt...
Rather depends on which Officers' estate the unit is exercising on, not always necessary to bring one's own.

There was a stage (90s) where RWxY had a rather silly Commanding Officer who was into that sort of thing. Would like to think things have moved on a bit by now...

Hobo-Ken said:
There was a stage (90s) where RWxY had a rather silly Commanding Officer who was into that sort of thing. Would like to think things have moved on a bit by now...
Not on any proper ex these days, possibly now during an after-ex smoker when the social aspect has been built in e.g on annual camp. as somebody else said, after 2003, things were ran on a more professional line. you still need a bit of fun sometimes though.

eodmatt said:
Drinking alcohol is not allowed at any time here. Mind you, this is an oil company project not military. Anyway there is a bottle of good malt in my fridge. Management perk dontchaknow.
Your reply is totally devoid of relevance.

I had a new ammo box made for the sqn which allowed for various bottles, flutes and tumblers, and a few other creature comforts; also doubled as a table. Mainly for O Gps and those relaxed moments in SHQ. Thing was fully padded to protect the contents and looked rather good, i thought. No dinners in the field in the last 15 yrsalthough changed in & out of mess kit in the wagon for dinner in a nearby hotel.

Boxy said:
The regular unit i was in used to have a 4tonner set aside as the officers mess truck which did contain mess siverware for using each night at RHQ, my parent yeomanry unit hasnt,well as faras I can vouch the Sqn doesnt.
Would that have been 14/20th? as i believe the rumour was they did that on Iron Hammer 88.

quiller said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Not on any proper ex these days, possibly now during an after-ex smoker when the social aspect has been built in e.g on annual camp. as somebody else said, after 2003, things were ran on a more professional line. you still need a bit of fun sometimes though.
I've been with them for just over 3 years now and I never seen it, although what they have started doing is feeding us proper meals at endex (Caerwent, Bodmin and camp spring to mind) which is a massive morale booster. When I was in the otc though, our RLC troop used to do that regularly 8O

Hobo-Ken said:
Seen; B Sqn, late 80's-early 90's.

Crunchie said:
Would that have been 14/20th? as i believe the rumour was they did that on Iron Hammer 88.
Nah Scots DG, a Cavalry thing by the sounds of it. We even had a drinks box that fitted in the bread bin of our Scorpion(Tp Ldrs) which was used to good effect.

never seen silver on ex, though it goes to camp usually. there always was a gin box, with bottles of gordons/port and nice crystal glasses in for the O groups etc..the lads made do with herford handbags in the ready rounds bin