Question for the Household Div. Guys

What are the origins of your Beret backing and TRF patch?
I am currently writing a book about the break down of individual cap badges and beret backings and can not find any information about it.
What i know so far;
The Backing was adopted by all seven regiments of the Household Division in 1989; the backing was originally used by the 1st (Guards) Parachute Bn from 1945 In Palestine as part of the 6th Airborne Brigade, and Guardsmen serving with the Pathfinder Platoon, 5th Airborne brigade from 1948 to 1975.

Backing – Blue – Red – Blue medal type ribbon material 2.50” wide x 2” deep

Any help would be much appreciated

ugly

LE
I will ask the Colonel on Saturday if he shoots

ugly

LE
Cool thank you
Been told he’s laid up but I’ll visit him anyway! I’d be surprised if a Gdsmn didn’t know as on bull nights they had to answer regtl history questions during the sessions

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The HAC Corps of Drums (and possibly the band?) wear the same backing.

Another one to add to your list.

What are the origins of your Beret backing and TRF patch?
I am currently writing a book about the break down of individual cap badges and beret backings and can not find any information about it.
What i know so far;
The Backing was adopted by all seven regiments of the Household Division in 1989; the backing was originally used by the 1st (Guards) Parachute Bn from 1945 In Palestine as part of the 6th Airborne Brigade, and Guardsmen serving with the Pathfinder Platoon, 5th Airborne brigade from 1948 to 1975.

Backing – Blue – Red – Blue medal type ribbon material 2.50” wide x 2” deep

Any help would be much appreciated
5th Airborne Bde didn’t come into being until 1983 (or was it ‘84?).

I think the colours from the TRF are somewhat older. Aren't their stable belts the same?
I believe the colours are ‘Mephisto Red’ and indigo. The RE and the (as was) RAOC have/had the same colours, albeit in a different pattern. The gunners had the same until they had to put a yellow stripe in theirs. Something to do with a ‘Royal’ connection as opposed to being ‘county’ regiments, perhaps?

London Regt wear the TRF but they have too many strange hats and badges to put it on. Gds attached 16 AA and Cdo qualified wear it on their respective coloured berets and with AAC. Gds Para Pl (3 Para) wear Para Regt capbadge with Gds backing I think.

Latest Threads