Question for the Guardsman

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by down_under, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't know where to put this so I'll post here. We have a parade coming up and a couple of the lads are worried about feinting. My advice was wiggle the toes, look at the girlies in the crowd anything to take your mind off standing rigidly to attention. So it got me thinking, what/how do you fellas do it when on ceremonial duties? Especially when Trooping the Colour. My blokes complain of anxiety for their feinting. I know what I'd like to do, but am after tricks of the trade by those that are constantly in the public eye so as to pass onto them/allay their fears. Cheers.
  2. Feinting is that a move that is used to make the enemy think your going one way when your actually going another ?
  3. No mate, that's the dance move that gets your NCO/SNCO/Badge to dance on ya throat.... not that that's allowed anymore. My solution is to give them a bit of a rest in the cells...
  4. No I was right

1. A feigned attack designed to draw defensive action away from an intended target.
    2. A deceptive action calculated to divert attention from one's real purpose. See Synonyms at wile.
    v. feint·ed, feint·ing, feints
    To make a feint
  5. OK, excuse my poor knowledge of spelling, I only did year 9. Fainting. Is that correct. LOL
  6. I'm not sure if you can prevent it but do tell them that if they feel the need to get on their belt buckles during a parade, do it with style or not at all!

Seriously: I imagine that going for a slash, drinking water and eating beforehand probably helps.
  7. Stay off the lager the night before will help.... :D
  8. LOL. I've got no reposte to that.
    I don't know what to do against ANXIETY.... ??? And the parade only goes for 45 minutes. Now before you slag them off, they're plastics... or TA if you will. Now I know I am going to get angry TA respnses, so please see the post for what it is... advice.
  9. Eat your breakfast. No breakfast...fainting. Big breakfast...lots of drill and marching!
  10. feint, riposte? Is this a discussion on parades or fencing matches?
  11. Fencing matches? I'd heard of ploughing matches but that is just they'll be having culling and incinerating tournaments...
  12. Come on fellas, the parade is in 3 days. I can do all I can but if they get some info from the worlds best maybe they'll switch on. And not fall over :D
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Eat properly beforehand, drink plenty of fluids and don't have a hangover: easy!
  14. I've never been a guardsman, but I've been screamed at by them, does that count?

Fainting has to be caused by no blood to the head, low blood pressure is a known cause of fainting, the RAF use compression suits to prevent pilots blacking out under g

so you would have thought that anything that ups your blood pressure and stops blood pooling in your legs would stop you fainting.

A salty meal and compression socks?

Mind you - the time to experiment is not when you are standing in front of everyone; don't do anything on the day that you haven't tried thoroughly is a good principle.
  15. Best advice going. Wriggling your toes might give you something to think about and occupy your mind, but if your blood sugar level is low it won't help.