Question for the few Americans here

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by 2_Canadian_Beers, Jun 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I continue to provide my service to the United Kingdom, Mrs. Beers was asking me about the possibility of moving to America ( her home land) when finished my time here. Being a neighbour of the north I find that to not be a problem, but am wonerding who I would be directed to find out more information about this issue. I am aware it takes an incredibly long time to get through the red tape so we are trying to figure out when to commence the process, and yes for employment I would stick with the Army.

Cheers 2CB

2. Try this link. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Immigration

Scroll down to "United States Immigration."

It's helpful if you have whatever it is they currently regard as critical skills.

If you are rich, that can be a fast ticket in, too.

Service in U.S. military may be a ticket for many. I'd guess that prior service in U.K. forces would be regarded as a big plus on your resume by U.S. military.

3. If your wife is a US citizen then it shouldn;t take that long. Try the US Embassy website for starters.

4. I did it - disch date 01 May 97. Got work permit on 07 August 97. Green card about 3 months after that.

Helps enormously that you're already married.

But don't join the US Army, whatever you do.

PM me if you need more info.

5. Or you could enter the US via the southern route. No waiting, and no red tape.

Mrs Beers should be fine, as long as she has never formally renounced her US citizenship

6. Nope she still has not renounced her American citzenship (hmm, maybe she is planning on taking of and leaving me in peace for once)

Cheers 2CB

7. im sure you can get a K1 visa which is for those who marries an American

8. That's true. If you're interested in going the coyote route, I know a guy in Juarez that has a freezer truck. But if you get busted, you don't know me. (Assuming you and the other 45 "recent arrivals" in said truck survive the trip.)

Seriously — here's a website to check out...as you would be coming from the UK, you might find some of the info helpful.

http://www.britishexpats.com/

Good luck!