Question for teachers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by qman, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats the score wif skool these days? I've heard stories that children are required to take part in 'multi-cultural' events such as Dvali etc. Would I get into trouble for asking that my children be allowed to 'miss' these subjects and activities out. I don't want my kids to 'endure' any religous claptrap let alone one that has no bearing on their laws or culture.

2. Ask the school to organise a St Georges Day event and see what happens.

3. I'm not entirely sure exactly what the law says these days, but, there are things that a parent can require that their child takes no part in. Sex education and acts of religious worship, (ie a religious assembly with prayers as opposed to a lesson about religion) are the ones that spring to mind.

I'm no god-botherer, but what exactly is wrong about knowing something of the religion, customs, cultures, and values of other peoples/communities as well as your own?

4. I think that as long as these are done as part of a cultural/religious understanding process rather than as a promotion of one cultur/faith thing then they are non optional.

Foe example in the dim and distant past when I was at school left footers and our one hindu were excused morning assembly as that was a religiousceremony, but were not excused religious education as that was not based specifically in one faith. So it is OK to be taught what Dwali is but not to have to take part.

5. It's a good idea... know thine enemy is a very important principle.

7. "Keep your friends close..but your enemy even closer" (Sun Tzu)...you know that walt that cnut marineX or whatever is on about

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'd prefer if they spent some time actually teaching the chavs how to read and write.

9. Hmmmmm, hope you dont teach your child to spell or talk.

I believe each school has different rules, so you would need to speak directly to them. However as already pointed out unless they are forcing a religion onto your child I dont see the problem with your child learning about it. After all isnt that why she goes to school, for education!

10. So you are perfectly happy with your children being taught fairy tales and superstion and how it has a bearing on the life of some credulous peasant on the other side of the world instead of using the time in a more constructive manner?

Still I suppose the fact that said peasant is likely to a) turn up in town demanding his rights or b) get invaded by us some time in the near future then knowing why they are allowed to riutally slaughter their children on every third month with a q in it might be of some use I suppose.

12. There are plenty of people who would argue that all religion is "fairy tales and superstition", including the religions in this country. Define constructive. How would you set the curriculum for your child? What are the basic foundations you would want your child to come away with?

Is it not important that children are provided with the opportunity to make up their own minds rather than have the views of older, more cynical types forced upon them?

14. OH FFSMS. He was saying that he didn't want his kids exposed to ANY religion at school. What is wrong with that?