Question for R.A.F chaps...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by filthyphil, Nov 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night I watched a re-run of Reach For The Sky and was so impressed by the courage and fortitude shown by Douglas Bader that it got me thinking. Did he take off his legs to have a fcuk, or would he have needed them on for the traction?
  2. Interesting. One would hope he took them off.

As an aside, there is a place near Bournemouth which sports a road called Douglas Bader Walk. Or so i was told.
  3. I presume he took them off, that way it was easier for the other officers to spin him around when he was sat on top.
  4. I remember seeing him flyhis own plane in to the Biggin Hill airshow when I a teenager - I most impressed that his aircraft reg was G-APUB
  5. kin hell, you must be quite ancient then!
  6. On the down-hill side of 50................ :roll: ... but shtill got mosht of me own teesh and hair................
  7. I believe Douggie Bader was an exponent of that long-practised art of "stump f*cking"!

He could satisfy 3 ladies at once......dirty old git!
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I met Bader a couple of times, when he was doing pro-celeb golf at a course local to me. I used to breakfast at the same time as he and other 'celebs'. He was a miserable bad tempered cnut, nd not at all like Kenneth More. The hotel staff hated him and his food was well-seasoned by kitchen staff.
    The other 'celebs' People like Tarbuck, Henry Cooper and Bruce Forsyth were very different. Always freindly, always time for a chat. The staff loved them.
  9. He lived in the days of black and white.They didn't have sex back then.
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And Muriel Pavlow would never, ever do anything like sex.
  11. Being of the lt blue persuasion I did hear from those that know more that Bader was an obnoxious sod who was great in wartime, get to the target, drop the bombs press on regardless, but in peacetime was an absolute stinker. Many ex POW have said that they thoroughly fed up with his 'Goon baiting' of the Germans as it usually rebounded on them. So much for the myth.
  12. I can remember him flying into RAF Westwood (Peterborough) as part of his support to keep the place open.
  13. I remember a documentary about Colditz. The guy who was his batty during the war said he was a complete shit. And of course he made up the whole thing about getting involved in a collision with an Me-109 - he was shot down, fair and square. Like a lot of useful war leaders, he had his place in battle but you wouldn't want to share a life raft with him.
  14. My bold.

I always thought he was a fighter pilot.
  15. As an ex crab I would have hoped he would have left them on, and kept the white socks on as well. Bad form to do otherwise .. :wink:

And I concur with the opinion that he was an utter cnut but the view I heard was that he treated aircrew like gods and the the groundcrew like sh1t. That was from an old Navigator who was attending the Dambusters 50th at Scampton and had been groundcrew on another Squadron on Bader's base at one time. Sticks in the memory as the old boy obviously hated him.