Question for old armourers

Discussion in 'REME' started by ugly, Dec 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

gents what was the internal diameter of the flash eliminators on the front of the SLR, L4 lmg and the GPMG. I am hoping that these were interference fit and held in place with a pin. Any info is gratefully accepted!
  2. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

L4 was a flash hider not an eliminater.
  3. Prepare to sleep!!!!

The SLR is a screw fit with washers for sizing. This was achieved with the bayonet boss 10-15 degrees from the slot in the barrel (2" from the muzzle and at the bottom). Then tighten to the slot and washer placed in the slot and pinned.

GPMG is a screw fit again. Held in place with a washer with a 'c' shape in it. The barrel had a notch in which to place the 'c' and the flash eliminator (F/E) had a 2 notches(?). The idea was to place to 2nd opposing 'c' as far from the other 'c' as possible, which was peened over into the F/E notch.

LMG L4 was (fcuk, nearly fell asleep) the same. Not sure on that one as they never came off!!!

Now I must go to bed and dream of GPMG CHS problems!!!!!
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

free2go many thanks for that, I'll look at something else!
  5. Ahh, the joys of the 19(?) washers for the L1A1 flash eliminator! I remember old Mr Bilborough at Bordon, he of the Fagin lookalike head, being able to make any bloody flash eliminator loose with a deft flick of his wrist. The man was a skin covered skeleton, but he had the grip of Garth. 10-15 degrees? More like 45 degrees and graunch it to buggery...
  6. I was a young Craftsman attached to the workshop in Catterick when Dennis was the Artisan Staff Sergeant running the Armourers Shop. I learnt a great deal from him, especially when he rejected your work on out inspection with his fingers of steel! .

I then faced him again as my instructor on my Tiffy Course, just as bad, I think he had his hands replaced by mole grips.