Question for old armourers

ugly

LE
gents what was the internal diameter of the flash eliminators on the front of the SLR, L4 lmg and the GPMG. I am hoping that these were interference fit and held in place with a pin. Any info is gratefully accepted!

Prepare to sleep!!!!

The SLR is a screw fit with washers for sizing. This was achieved with the bayonet boss 10-15 degrees from the slot in the barrel (2" from the muzzle and at the bottom). Then tighten to the slot and washer placed in the slot and pinned.

GPMG is a screw fit again. Held in place with a washer with a 'c' shape in it. The barrel had a notch in which to place the 'c' and the flash eliminator (F/E) had a 2 notches(?). The idea was to place to 2nd opposing 'c' as far from the other 'c' as possible, which was peened over into the F/E notch.

LMG L4 was (fcuk, nearly fell asleep) the same. Not sure on that one as they never came off!!!

Now I must go to bed and dream of GPMG CHS problems!!!!!

Ahh, the joys of the 19(?) washers for the L1A1 flash eliminator! I remember old Mr Bilborough at Bordon, he of the Fagin lookalike head, being able to make any bloody flash eliminator loose with a deft flick of his wrist. The man was a skin covered skeleton, but he had the grip of Garth. 10-15 degrees? More like 45 degrees and graunch it to buggery...

Themanwho said:
I remember old Mr Bilborough at Bordon, he of the Fagin lookalike head, being able to make any bloody flash eliminator loose with a deft flick of his wrist. The man was a skin covered skeleton, but he had the grip of Garth.
I was a young Craftsman attached to the workshop in Catterick when Dennis was the Artisan Staff Sergeant running the Armourers Shop. I learnt a great deal from him, especially when he rejected your work on out inspection with his fingers of steel! .

I then faced him again as my instructor on my Tiffy Course, just as bad, I think he had his hands replaced by mole grips.

Latest Threads