Question For Jarrod,

Have been invited to a zoological seminar in Taipei for 14days ,from the 21st of this month I will be accompanied by mrs Nig and 2 rugrats, have you any personal experience of Taiwan at all??have searched the web for info , for things for them to do but there seems to bejust the usual tours and stuff, good eating places and such ,the rugrats are heavily into computer gaming

Have been invited to a zoological seminar in Taipei for 14days ,from the 21st of this month I will be accompanied by mrs Nig and 2 rugrats, have you any personal experience of Taiwan at all??have searched the web for info , for things for them to do but there seems to bejust the usual tours and stuff, good eating places and such ,the rugrats are heavily into computer gaming
I believe that @smartascarrots has some familiarity with the country. I would suggest you contact him.

Taipei's pretty great and there's a huge amount to do, but a lot is weather dependant at this time of year. Luckily, the locals like staying dry as much as anyone else.

There's an underground mall running from Taipei Main Station to Beimen which in known locally as Zhai Nan Jie - roughly translated as Geek Street. It's entirely devoted to manga and video games, so ought to keep the kids happy.

Food wise, the Night Markets are a good bet. The biggest is Shilin in the north west but my personal favourite is Raohe Street near Songshan Station. It's also right next to a major shrine to the goddess Mazu so you can do some touristy things too.

Again weather dependant, you could try getting out of Taipei city into the surrounding countryside. The Pingxi line is my favourite, a narrow gauge line servicing all the former mining villages in northern Taipei County. Since the coal ran out, each of them has adopted a different tourism theme to bolster the local economy and tootling up and down is a pleasant enough way to spend the day.

As far as restaurants are concerned, the Taiwan's rife with good food and you don't really need to stray too far from your doorstep. Whereabouts will you be staying?

Are you for or against the One China policy?
Will make absolutely no difference to his experience, either there or the mainland. Provided he keeps his views to himself, his money will be just as welcome as anyone else's.

thanks for that folks,hope it is not like the mainland, been to chengdu a couple of times, stayed in the uni it was abit like borstal with ricebut we willseewont we.

thanks for that folks,hope it is not like the mainland, been to chengdu a couple of times, stayed in the uni it was abit like borstal with ricebut we willseewont we.
On the assumption you'll be near the zoo at some point, you might want to plan a trip to Maokong, which is a tea plantation area in the mountains to the south east of the city. There's a cablecar which runs from near the MRT Taipei Zoo station or if you don't fancy that you can catch a bus from just outside.

Ta very muchly ,we are actually staying in the zoo

Ta very muchly ,we are actually staying in the zoo
Muzha is a nice district - I taught at NCCU for a while so know it reasonably well. You can get buses outside the zoo in both directions - the G1 will take you to central Taipei in about 15 minutes. Most of the food in Muzha will be on Zhinan Road or Muxin Road.

Last edited:
This is not the thread I was expecting.