Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for current Rozzers

Dwarf

LE
Of course we believe in impartial justice. (From the cartoon thread)

1604587515307.png

Tuffty

War Hero
That’s why you read it before signing it.
Funny if that was true, you sign the statement but the one i was handed in court had "abbreviated statement" at the Top and missed out most of the evidence in my favour. When i gave my evidence the prosecution lawyer did question me and said that what i had just said was not what was in my statement. I did have to point out to him that the statement he had handed to me had abbreviated on it and was not my full signed statement. Not his finest hour. I was innocent but if i had missed out that vital bit of selective evidence i could have been convicted. I used to support our brothers in Blue, but after being on the receiving end of the british justice system and the Police in particular i wouldnt piss on em if they were on fire. They just go for the easy conviction. Never let the truth get in the way of an easy conviction should be their moto

Last edited:
Funny if that was true, you sign the statement but the one i was handed in court had "abbreviated statement" at the Top and missed out most of the evidence in my favour. When i gave my evidence the prosecution lawyer did question me and said that what i had just said was not what was in my statement. I did have to point out to him that the statement he had handed to me had abbreviated on it and was not my full signed statement. Not his finest hour. I was innocent but if i had missed out that vital bit of selective evidence i could have been convicted. I used to support our brothers in Blue, but after being on the receiving end of the british justice system and the Police in particular i wouldnt piss on em if they were on fire. They just go for the easy conviction. Never let the truth get in the way of an easy conviction should be their moto

What type of statement did the police take from you, if you were a suspect in court?

Surely you were interviewed after caution and the transcript of the interview in full was your response to the allegation. Or you produced a statement after caution with your solicitor.

Are you saying that the police presented a doctored statement to the court, that wasn’t the one that you signed?

Having been brought up with Crown Court on the telly, she is guilty, send her down.

Lucky its not over here; she would have been hard traffic stopped, a hundredweight of weed planted in the boot of her car, shot for resisting arrest, and then finally issued with a posthumous speeding ticket.

For christ's sake people you are confusing yourselves.

INTERVIEW = for the suspect and done under caution either during time spent in custody under arrest or as a Voluntary Interview. These are both exactly the same except the former is done in custody when you have been nicked. They both are covered by PACE therefore a solicitor can be provided or you can have a named one.

STATEMENT = for the victim or witnesses. They are entirely voluntary, and the words used by you will be the ones written down. You get to read it and make changes before you sign it. You can just say No and nothing more will be said.

Those who are getting Interviews and Statements mixed up, hopefully the above will clarify the issue. If not then stop spouting hoop.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Many years ago I was asked to go along for an interview after I had been involved in an RTA. I was interviewed under caution but was informed that I was not under arrest. I was asked if I wanted a solicitor present but declined. I was asked why I didn't want one and gave my reason. IIRC I was told I could leave at any time. The interview was recorded and a written statement was made at the same time. The Officer conducting the interview was very fair and at no time did he try to trip me up or catch me out. He even gave me a non-verbal prompt that helped me answer a question he'd just asked.

I know there are mixed opinions about the police and the recent wokeness demonstrated by some of their number does them no favours, and I know there are some bad eggs amongst them, but I think the majority do try their best in difficult circumstances.

People often look at the uniform and forget there is a person behind it and that person doesn't have all the answers to all life's problems.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Most investigators in DV units have about 20 cases on the go.
Well they should go and take the statement then, I did, any excuse to get out of the office, have a little jolly on the way back, take your time cross the T’s and dot the i’s and have a cuppa.

Many years ago I was asked to go along for an interview after I had been involved in an RTA. I was interviewed under caution but was informed that I was not under arrest. I was asked if I wanted a solicitor present but declined. I was asked why I didn't want one and gave my reason. IIRC I was told I could leave at any time. The interview was recorded and a written statement was made at the same time. The Officer conducting the interview was very fair and at no time did he try to trip me up or catch me out. He even gave me a non-verbal prompt that helped me answer a question he'd just asked.

I know there are mixed opinions about the police and the recent wokeness demonstrated by some of their number does them no favours, and I know there are some bad eggs amongst them, but I think the majority do try their best in difficult circumstances.

People often look at the uniform and forget there is a person behind it and that person doesn't have all the answers to all life's problems.
Strange how his mum never remembers the blessed Stephen as a drug dealer who strayed into the wrong post code.

sittingstress

Old-Salt
The interview was recorded and a written statement was made at the same time.

Arrgghhhhhh, there was no statement. They would have been interview notes. A statement is not allowed to be taken in an interview, that is the whole point. A ROTI, record of taped interview, (a transcript of all that is said), might have been produced later for prosecutors and to be disclosed to the defence. It can be read out in court too.

Please Arrserati you are doing my cannister in. Statement is voluntary, interview means you are a suspect. If there are any more examples of this these 2 very basic pieces of information being misused then I will be paying great attention to the patios of the miscreants.

Tuffty

War Hero
What type of statement did the police take from you, if you were a suspect in court?

Surely you were interviewed after caution and the transcript of the interview in full was your response to the allegation. Or you produced a statement after caution with your solicitor.

Are you saying that the police presented a doctored statement to the court, that wasn’t the one that you signed?
What i am saying is the statement that was presented in court was an "abbreviated" copy of my Full Statement. I am not a Barrister or Lawyer just an Ex Squaddie off the street so have no real understanding of how the police/courts work. What i am saying is just make sure you have a solicitor present before giving any Statement to the police and check anything and everything you are given in court.

Strange how his mum never remembers the blessed Stephen as a drug dealer who strayed into the wrong post code.
Sorry old bean but you've confuddled me a bit there. I don't understand why you have brought up Stephen (presumably Lawrence) and associated it to my post which was nothing to do with Lawrence but just me explaining my personal experience of being interviewed by plod.

Arrgghhhhhh, there was no statement. They would have been interview notes. A statement is not allowed to be taken in an interview, that is the whole point. A ROTI, record of taped interview, (a transcript of all that is said), might have been produced later for prosecutors and to be disclosed to the defence. It can be read out in court too.

Please Arrserati you are doing my cannister in. Statement is voluntary, interview means you are a suspect. If there are any more examples of this these 2 very basic pieces of information being misused then I will be paying great attention to the patios of the miscreants.

Calm down dear. You'll have to excuse me for not being specifically correct with my terminology or knowing the difference between a statement and a transcript. If it's your job to know the difference then you will do, but for the rest of us who don't routinely have to be involved in such matters, then not so much.

sittingstress

Old-Salt
Calm down dear. You'll have to excuse me for not being specifically correct with my terminology or knowing the difference between a statement and a transcript. If it's your job to know the difference then you will do, but for the rest of us who don't routinely have to be involved in such matters, then not so much.
It is my job and clearly you didnt read the whole thread. If I want to be patronised I will speak with my boss.

Latest Threads