Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for current Rozzers

My 18 year daughter has been asked to go to the local cop shop for an interview regarding one of her friends male) who has been accused of assault ( I believe its a revenge accusation) by his spurned ex girlfriend (she`s as mad as a fruit bat ) , I intend going along as the daughter suffers from anxiety , can I insist on being with her in the interview and can she just walk out if she`s not happy ?
I would not put it past her mates ex girlfriend to make accusations against my daughter , your thoughts and advice please.

Dont know , they just called my daughter and asked her a bit about her mate and his girlfriend then asked her to go in on Wednesday .

....having seen a mate go through something similar the police took some convincing and multiple witness statements to believe that he was acting in self-defence....

jmb3296

War Hero
The important question is, is the interview under caution.

the second is it in Scotland or England/ Wales. If it’s the former I can answer. If it’s the latter I would be winging it and won’t. Different, albeit related, legal systems.

My 18 year daughter has been asked to go to the local cop shop for an interview regarding one of her friends male) who has been accused of assault ( I believe its a revenge accusation) by his spurned ex girlfriend (she`s as mad as a fruit bat ) , I intend going along as the daughter suffers from anxiety , can I insist on being with her in the interview and can she just walk out if she`s not happy ?
I would not put it past her mates ex girlfriend to make accusations against my daughter , your thoughts and advice please.
Witness statement.
Get them to come to your house and insist that you are present. Don't inconvenience yourself or your daughter to give witness evidence. Sounds like a bone idle investigator.

Then she would seem to have nothing to be overly concerned about - indeed, it's possible that the interview might not be conducted by a warranted Constable but by a civilian investigator.

Explain the reason why Dad is cluttering up the place and all should be fine.

. . . and, yes, if this is not an interview under PACE, then she can get up and walk out.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be inclined to get some informed legal advice and do absolutely nothing otherwise.

If she was a suspect in any way she would have been told that it will be an interview under caution and the right to free legal advice.

It sounds as if they want a witness statement in regard to the allegation against her friends mate. As she is over 18 you don't have a right to being with her in interview, unless she has registered learning difficulties or mental hea;lth issues.

However if it is just for a witness statement if she askes if her dear old dad can sit in with her while the statement is being taken, then I can't see a problem. Its in their interests if they want a statement. You would only be allowed to sit in the interview room though. If you start butting in or interfering you will be out on your arrse pronto.

Oh, its best that she doesn't tell them that her dad is a mad as a box of frogs ex Foreign Legion Paratrooper who eats razor blades for breakfast and shaves with a K-Bar knife.

Last edited:
Witness statement.
Get them to come to your house and insist that you are present. Don't inconvenience yourself or your daughter to give witness evidence. Sounds like a bone idle investigator.
Then she would seem to have nothing to be overly concerned about - indeed, it's possible that the interview might not be conducted by a warranted Constable but by a civilian investigator.

Explain the reason why Dad is cluttering up the place and all should be fine.

. . . and, yes, if this is not an interview under PACE, then she can get up and walk out.

What they said.

With covid I would invite them over to the house, set up a small table and a couple of chairs in the garden and do the interview like that. That is what our local police here in Texas are asking people to do for witness statements and report taking as they don't want covid anymore than anyone else does.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to get some informed legal advice and do absolutely nothing otherwise.
If it supports her mate who has been falsely accused, then that would be detrimental to him and by default, go someway to supporting the false allegation.
Just an odd way to go about interviewing a prospective witness.
I'd be bollocksed if I was asked to attend to make a witness statement. Get your fat arse in the car and go and get the witness on side.

What they said.

With covid I would invite them over to the house, set up a small table and a couple of chairs in the garden and do the interview like that. That is what our local police here in Texas are asking people to do for witness staements and report taking as they don't want covid anymore than anyone else does.
An interview in the garden would be brief , its pissing down everyday and gales blowing , could be amusing though .

What they said.

With covid I would invite them over to the house, set up a small table and a couple of chairs in the garden and do the interview like that. That is what our local police here in Texas are asking people to do for witness staements and report taking as they don't want covid anymore than anyone else does.
The garden scenario would work in Texas.......not so much a wind, hail, rain and gale swept Lake District. Although that would be fun to watch.

Further to my last, she does not have to give a statement. It sounds as if they may be looking for supporting statements though so they have enough evidence to debunk the allegation against her male friend. With the prevailing cicumstances in D/V cases a man in regarded as guilty until proven innocent, so additional witnesses supporting his case will probably persuade the CPS to drop the case.

ScooterDog

Clanker
I am an ex copper.

If I was 'asked' to attend a Police Station, I wouldnt go.

I would recommend that nobody should speak to the Police, at a Police Staion without a Solicitor being present.

I know that sound a bit harsh, but it is fairly easy to incriminate yourself (or a friend) without realising it. You might think that you have nothing to hide, you may think that honesty is the best policy, it isnt. Say nothing without legal advice.

If it was a pissy little witness statement it can be done at your home with 'a friend' present.

I haven't been serving in Plod for a long time. Remember that a witness statement is voluntary. The police may well want one, so might others involved , but if your daughter wants to stay out of it all then she can. The preamble states that the statement is made of her own free will.

An interview in the garden would be brief , its pissing down everyday and gales blowing , could be amusing though .

Has your dad got a barn?

If they want a statement get them to come to you. How many people have been through that room in 72 hrs and has it been deep cleaned each time?

I'd also be asking if it's an interview under caution, has her mates mental ex made allegations against your daughter.

The garden scenario would work in Texas.......not so much a wind, hail, rain and gale swept Lake District. Although that would be fun to watch.

Cold and sometimes wet here now too.

Latest Threads